2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Rhythm Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Rhythm Dance

skatemd1

On the Ice
I’m sad for the Poles, who on paper were the presumptive silver medalists here.

The way has been cleared for an all-North American podium.

Me too, they're a good team, but LOVED Piper & Paul's program. Thought the Parsons were exquisite too, and very polished. C/P had a good performance, and continue to improve, but I don't see them as up to the Parsons level yet in power, flow, edge quality, overall skill and polish, etc. The Parsons' experience shows in this event. So IMHO there should have been a wider gap between their scores, especially after watching the video again. But it was a good performance by all the top 3 teams. Piper & Paul are always wonderful to watch and I think the Parsons are in good shape for Silver. LOVE their FD this year! Surprised to see how close C/P and P/P are, but FD should be exciting to watch and would like to see these three continue to shine, and the Poles too!

LaArdilla

Medalist
Really?!?! No one has commented on Natalia slapping Maksym in the face yet? 😀

Such a pity about the fall!

G/P were just... No words yet. Absolutely fantastic, my fav RD so far. That FD two years ago did them good. And I don’t even mind Piper’s dress, as tablecloth-y as it is, at least it’s original against all that black and red. Well done you two!!!

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

P/P were just... No words yet. Absolutely fantastic, my fav RD so far. That FD two years ago did them good. And I don’t even mind Piper’s dress, as tablecloth-y as it is, at least it’s original against all that black and red. Well done you two!!!

Tablecloth or not, the dress has a great cut, moves beautifully, is original and vibrant in a sea of blacks and reds and most of all, Piper rocks it in her own sense. Everything about this RD is so well thought yet non-obvious, their bodies, movement, expression really tell the story and there is that mutual reaction to the music, how Paul is leading, the exchange between partners instead of following just one stream. And this is dancing for me, not just elements with the music with 'faces' made to it, everything flows with attention to tempo, rhythm, gesture, partner... What is even more notable for me is that this Tango feels different than their FD 2 seasons ago yet the originality in concept and authenticity in adaptation are on the same high level.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I’m sad for the Poles, who on paper were the presumptive silver medalists here.

The way has been cleared for an all-North American podium.
I personally did not think it was likely anyway. Kaliszek/Spodyriev have practically never been in good form at the beginning of the season. It takes some time for them to get the levels and to just skate their programs well. This time it was worse than usual - probably a late start - but they have almost always had a considerable rise in scores later in the season. And it is K/S's very first competition, whereas Parsons and Carreira/Ponomarenko have already had some competition experience this season.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

P/P were just... No words yet. Absolutely fantastic, my fav RD so far. That FD two years ago did them good. And I don’t even mind Piper’s dress, as tablecloth-y as it is, at least it’s original against all that black and red. Well done you two!!!

Holy moly.. I missed an exciting event then.

I felt so badly for team Poland at worlds last year so I'm sad if they had a bad start to the year too.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Wow - I'm so impressed with Piper and Paul's RD! It had such a great vibe to it, and they look very sharp and well-prepared. I loved all the interesting little moves, like her standing on his skate at the beginning, and the twizzle variations. I really hope that this will be the year that they make it to the World podium!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

As there is a P&P in this competition and sitting in second place, maybe stick with the last initials per the usual? I really did honestly have to do a double take in the middle of reading this post.

LaArdilla

Medalist
As there is a P&P in this competition and sitting in second place, maybe stick with the last initials per the usual? I really did honestly have to do a double take in the middle of reading this post.
You’re absolutely right, my mistake!

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Me too, they're a good team, but LOVED Piper & Paul's program. Thought the Parsons were exquisite too, and very polished. C/P had a good performance, and continue to improve, but I don't see them as up to the Parsons level yet in power, flow, edge quality, overall skill and polish, etc. The Parsons' experience shows in this event. So IMHO there should have been a wider gap between their scores, especially after watching the video again. But it was a good performance by all the top 3 teams. Piper & Paul are always wonderful to watch and I think the Parsons are in good shape for Silver. LOVE their FD this year! Surprised to see how close C/P and P/P are, but FD should be exciting to watch and would like to see these three continue to shine, and the Poles too!

Yes, I too was surprised at the small gap between P/P and C/P. In my opinion P/P's rhythm dance was much better.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I loved G/P's - I can't wait to see how it looks later on in the season since they've been saying that they want to peak later than usual. I would love to see them get more recognition this year - especially because for me, this is the best RD of the season so far... I think that Piper's dress might be a marmite dress because I love it! I think its so gorgeous and the colour looks so good on the ice. I actually gasped when I first saw it because I thought it was so pretty - I like how she went for such an on-trend colour and look in a sea of black and red.

I like the Parsons, and I thought that they skated very well but my only comment was that I barely noticed the lift - I was watching for it and couldn't figure out why there wasn't one (lol) it was only until after I saw the slow mo that I actually noticed it - so for me that could maybe have more of an impact (I'm in bed with a head cold though, so that might have had an influence haha)

I'm a fan of C/P - I like where they're going and they just give me that feeling where I like them and can't put a finger on why - I just do! I was impressed that they got a level 4 on one part of the TR, they are clearly working hard at improving. I think that Christina looked more nervous than she did at the US Classic - but perhaps this was due to them competing against the Parsons for the first time in over a year?

Very much looking forward to seeing how P/P and C/P come out after the FD.

I missed most of the event because I was at work though so not many opinions on the rest!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Since the other thread is still locked - I've never seen a Lady with black boots before. I'm shocked! What is that witchery?

pearly

Record Breaker
Since the other thread is still locked - I've never seen a Lady with black boots before. I'm shocked! What is that witchery?

I wondered if it was a RD thing, but who would have special boots and blades just for one program. I wonder. Were hers unavailable in white when she needed them? Is it a statement? Is it just trying to stand out?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I wondered if it was a RD thing, but who would have special boots and blades just for one program. I wonder. Were hers unavailable in white when she needed them? Is it a statement? Is it just trying to stand out?

I'm trying to figure out why I dislike it that much. Is it because we are conditioned to associate females with white/cream coloured boots? Or does it really look aesthetically unpleasant? It's just...it looks horrible to me, and idk why. I wonder if a man with white boots would make me feel equally weirded out?

pearly

Record Breaker
I'm trying to figure out why I dislike it that much. Is it because we are conditioned to associate females with white/cream coloured boots? Or does it really look aesthetically unpleasant? It's just...it looks horrible to me, and idk why. I wonder if a man with white boots would make me feel equally weirded out?

It's a matter of habit, but I like white better for sure.
(Also, she must be a witch. :biggrin:)

Thank yewww.

pearly

Record Breaker
Oh I know why I thought it may be a RD thing. Some womens tango shoes are plan black, I thought maybe that was the idea. But yeah, it's not.