2018 NHK Ladies Free Skate | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Ladies Free Skate

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Satoko - excellent. Even better than at Skate America.

I'm going to file this event away as one to show people when I'm trying to get them into figure skating. Absolutely stellar skating from so many of the women. I don't even have a strong opinion about who wins.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Ted Barton, Angel: "Satoko Miyahara is such an elegant skater, she's truly a treat to watch. That wowed the audience here in Japan, and with good reason.

She doesn't have the height or distance in her jumps that other ladies have, but she rotates so fast that she gets the job done. There might be a slight underrotation on this triple lutz.

Unique and memorable position in her layback spin as well. Look at this footwork in the step sequence; edges so clean and quick.

Satoko will be pleased with that skate. And she goes into second!"

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That is one sophisticated program. Really a deep pleasure to watch. You go Satoko. Figure skating is so much more than jumpjumpjump. You are Exhibit A to prove that point.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Rika is so low key about winning. Satoko lost like 6 points from the end of her skate. She probably got some URs.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
To me Miyahara Satoko belongs in the 'great-but-not-love' category, I appreciate her wonderful skating skills and artistry, but I personally don't feel love for it. Like, Paul Cézanne's works are masterpieces, but they are never in my 'favorite paintings' list. Appreciating quality doesn't equal love for me. Uno Shoma also belongs here come to think of it.

That said, I think that was enough for silver.

moriel

Record Breaker
Suck it up, Mie Hamada
“I hope the champion is 18, because we want to see a senior lady, not a senior girl, don’t you think?” Nah, the girl with highest TES and two 3As should win!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Miyahara was likely dinged on the first 3Lz at the very least.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Satoko - excellent. Even better than at Skate America.

I'm going to file this event away as one to show people when I'm trying to get them into figure skating. Absolutely stellar skating from so many of the women. I don't even have a strong opinion about who wins.

I really was meh on ladies for a while, so this was a real treat -- a reminder why it was the ladies that drew me in back in 1991 and then again in 2009.