2018 NHK Pairs Free Skate | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Pairs Free Skate

gold12345

Medalist
I think Alonja has left her mark on these two... clearly they have benefitted from her mentorship especially in their connection. A question directed to those who have watched way more pairs skating than I: I think (but not sure) Last lift in FS.. Chris lifts Alexa from the ice with one arm.. ?? True??.. and, if so, is that a standard, common move... one strong dude..

Yes that lift goes up with one arm and it's definitely not standard. The only other team I can remember doing it that way is Aljona and Bruno. It seems very difficult and must require tremendous strength.

I actually became more worried over their twist than lifts... Again like SC, from the angle shown, he looks to throw Kirsten in the air sideways, not exactly parallel aloft him and I have my heart in throat if he will be on time to catch her... :slink:

The intent to make the twist lateral is a good one because all the best twists have that, but MT/M's twist is low and has gotten stranger looking. It doesn't look unsafe to me though because they basically do it that same way every time and seem comfortable with it.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes that lift goes up with one arm and it's definitely not standard. The only other team I can remember doing it that way is Aljona and Bruno. It seems very difficult and must require tremendous strength.

The intent to make the twist lateral is a good one because all the best twists have that, but MT/M's twist is low and has gotten stranger looking. It doesn't look unsafe to me though because they basically do it that same way every time and seem comfortable with it.

:thank: for the clarification!! Good God!! I wondered if my eyes deceived me...:eeking:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I quite liked Audrey and Mischa. Looking forward to more from them.
I felt the same el! I really enjoyed them and felt they showed a lot of promise. My first thought was about how young they are -- I think she's 16 and he's 20? Now if we can just get them to stay together!!!!! Please guys! :laugh:

pesto

On the Ice
So by your logic, the Knierims have permanently overtaken KMT/Marinaro by beating them by one point at one event when the latter performed well below their season's best?

Even by the short term memory that often prevails in assessments whereby only the most recent competition is used as a measure, that is silly.

None of which is to say that the Knierims couldn't come out on top long-term -- they have the qualities necessary for that. But acting like that's already happened, or now is probably happening, is baseless.

Well quite. The Canadian pair are ahead of the Knierims on the GPF standings, due to identical placings, and considerably higher aggregate scores across their two events.