2018 NHK Pairs Free Skate | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018 NHK Pairs Free Skate

newyn

On the Ice
Mozer did take a half year sabbatical and she was at Skate America with T/M. T/M's main coach, who worked with them on the ice on a day to day basis, was Andrei Hekalo. T/M said they felt they need to make a change in order to develop and switched from Hekalo to Trankov. Nina Mozer is a sort of a team manager, an overseer. Robin was never with them every day, rather he goes to Moscow or Sochi for a few weeks at a time. He was at Sochi with them at least in the beginning of autumn, so as far as I can see he is still collaborating with them.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yay the Knerims did it. And with it maybe the dreams of Canada. Nice comeback. MTM must be questioning her pairing now. Now USA is ahead of Canada in all four disciplines. This has to make the Knerims so happy and confident and something to grow on. The Russians were blah but they got the job done. And the Chinese weren't really that impressive either but both were the class of this field. This Canadian team though needs something - a strong personality/pcs and or tech elements andthey have neither.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just letting you know that the Pairs SP highlights will be starting in a minute or two on Eurosport 2.

Here is the link for the archived British Eurosport 2 highlights on the Player (starts at 12m 40s. LIVE coverage of Ladies FS at start. LIVE coverage of Men's FS starts at 1h 5m 40s):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/figure-skating-grand-prix/ef6b2385-0640-4cf4-be83-23ad70274604

After the mess of not having any LIVE coverage overnight, I hope they cut out all the adverts they were planning on showing and instead show as many of the partnerships as they can in the hour until the Men's FS starts.

EDIT: They started with #4. Tarah KAYNE / Danny O'SHEA, USA​

Hope this helps.

CaroLiza_fan

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Mmm, Z/E are getting better and better. I like their new look, i like that they are showing more presence on ice (last year were too subdued), they are now grown up and may challenge T/M. I was already a fan of their skating but this year i am happy with the direction they are taking. Not everything is perfect (blah and grr to those costume from the short, burn them!) but their are on a good path. :yahoo:

I also like P/J. :agree:

gold12345

Medalist
I really enjoyed the entire podium. Congrats to them all. They've all improved from their last event.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Enjoyed the Knierims FS ... very beautiful interpretation of the music!!

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to the medal winners in the pairs discipline. After the coaching issues, was nice to see the Knierims put it together for a bronze, now they just need to get those side-by-sides under control.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy to see the Knierims have a redemptive skate of sorts in the FS. Hope Jenny and Todd can help them pull it all together and get them some additional help on those SBS jumps. It was hard to tell who was happier in the K & C -- the Knierims or Todd! Todd looked thrilled to death! :cheer2:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Watching Pairs recap. Kudos to Knierims! That looked way better than the last time! I especially liked twist and both throws :hap10: As for M-T/M.... All those small mistakes had costed them. And I still worry everytime he lifts her over the head...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ok, so Russians were clean, and they have all those beautiful lines, so yeah, they won. Congrats! I still prefer Chinese, and I'm so happy they qualified to GPF! :love: And really, after these two couples skated, you could see the difference in quality between their lifts and M-T/M lifts...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I quite liked Audrey and Mischa. Looking forward to more from them.

I must be the only person in the world who doesn’t associate Roxanne with Virtue/Moir (probably because of the top three ID last year, my faves were the Shibs and I didn’t watch V/M or P/C with rapt astonishment ;)

Don’t @ me:biggrin:

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Watching Pairs recap. Kudos to Knierims! That looked way better than the last time! I especially liked twist and both throws :hap10: As for M-T/M.... All those small mistakes had costed them. And I still worry everytime he lifts her over the head...

I actually became more worried over their twist than lifts... Again like SC, from the angle shown, he looks to throw Kirsten in the air sideways, not exactly parallel aloft him and I have my heart in throat if he will be on time to catch her... :slink:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I actually became more worried over their twist than lifts... Again like SC, from the angle shown, he looks to throw Kirsten in the air sideways, not exactly parallel aloft him and I have my heart in throat if he will be on time to catch her... :slink:

Twist is considered a lift as well ;) But yeah, it got worse...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Enjoyed the Knierims FS ... very beautiful interpretation of the music!!

Knierims pulled off a good one today, very into the music and aside of these sbs which were always the issue, it all just flew greatly. They do have goods and they shine beautifully when 'cleanish', these back - to- back throws are a huge risk, but works amazingly within the music and climax near the end if clean. I start to see more intimate, airy sensual touch in that program and their approach, opposite to more lovey-dovey, utterly romantic and rather sweet style they have done past seasons ('Come what may' and Ghost) - the outlook is more cool and modern, with still their relationship and bond shining through. There was a new energy within them this week and I hope the bronze will spur them into more work on sbs and polish put over both programs.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
So agree about Chris and Alexa - feeling more optimistic for them than in a while. This program has so much more to like about it

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Mtm M have known for years they had to fix the lifts/twists. This is not acceptable. I am sure they are trying but she isn't that big and yes, she has to do her bit but, while not the best thing to do, he should be able to muscle these lifts and twists to look easy. But as I said they need something to set them apart otherwise probably what Michael Slipchuk Canada's skating guru/leader for performance is probably deep down worried if and it appears it has happened the Americans have overtaken them then Canada is in deep trouble. Good on the Knerims; and while I know MTM is coming back fro injury this does not bode well. This team has skated a whole quad together and still the lifts and twists always make you just pray and hope.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But as I said they need something to set them apart otherwise probably what Michael Slipchuk Canada's skating guru/leader for performance is probably deep down worried if and it appears it has happened the Americans have overtaken them then Canada is in deep trouble.
So by your logic, the Knierims have permanently overtaken KMT/Marinaro by beating them by one point at one event when the latter performed well below their season's best?

Even by the short term memory that often prevails in assessments whereby only the most recent competition is used as a measure, that is silly.

None of which is to say that the Knierims couldn't come out on top long-term -- they have the qualities necessary for that. But acting like that's already happened, or now is probably happening, is baseless.

rain

Record Breaker
So by your logic, the Knierims have permanently overtaken KMT/Marinaro by beating them by one point at one event when the latter performed well below their season's best?

Even by the short term memory that often prevails in assessments whereby only the most recent competition is used as a measure, that is silly.

None of which is to say that the Knierims couldn't come out on top long-term -- they have the qualities necessary for that. But acting like that's already happened, or now is probably happening, is baseless.

The CBC commentary mentioned that Kirsten is suffering from a foot injury. Must be very frustrating for them. But I do agree that they need something to set them apart. There's so many teams sort of around their level right now.

Can't say I'm thrilled with any of the pair teams this year so far. Z/E were the clear winners here, but their material is deadly dull. Their FS music just drones on and on, I do not know how they practice to that every day. They seem to be going for a darker vibe, but they don't have the intensity to pull it off at this point.

Can Sui and Han please come back soon?

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Knierims pulled off a good one today, very into the music and aside of these sbs which were always the issue, it all just flew greatly. They do have goods and they shine beautifully when 'cleanish', these back - to- back throws are a huge risk, but works amazingly within the music and climax near the end if clean. I start to see more intimate, airy sensual touch in that program and their approach, opposite to more lovey-dovey, utterly romantic and rather sweet style they have done past seasons ('Come what may' and Ghost) - the outlook is more cool and modern, with still their relationship and bond shining through. There was a new energy within them this week and I hope the bronze will spur them into more work on sbs and polish put over both programs.

I think Alonja has left her mark on these two... clearly they have benefitted from her mentorship especially in their connection. A question directed to those who have watched way more pairs skating than I: I think (but not sure) Last lift in FS.. Chris lifts Alexa from the ice with one arm.. ?? True??.. and, if so, is that a standard, common move... one strong dude..