2018 Rostelecom Cup Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Rostelecom Cup Free Dance

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Ok, so after this event, who's going for sure to GPF? And who has still some chance?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Sara HURTADO / Kirill KHALIAVIN
Music: Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd; Vladimir's Blues by Max Richter; Sign of the Times by Harry Styles
Choreography by: Iker Karrera, Alexander Zhulin, Sergei Petukhov
Costumes: Soft pink dress with postmodern silvery-striped bodice/breastplate for her (striking!); basic black for him

Program Layout:

Steps into
Dance Spin - nice first position but very slow. Level 4, 1.48g Cartwhell exit out and right into
Rotational Lift - with no set up (hard to build up speed so more difficult). Lunge out. Level 4, 1.04g Good stuff
Twizzles - Level 4 for both, 1.60g
Tempo change into
NT St Seq - Level 3 for her, 2 for him 1.64 g
And frankly I loved the steps into and out of the sequence much more.
Music cut/slight tempo change into
Serp Step Seq - which is (gasp!) actually in hold, so good for them. It does have a bit of a dated feel however. The judges ate it up. I only nibbled. Level 3, .90g. They're smart to put it with the music they did.
Now things get a bit shaky...
Curve Lift with leap entry. Level 4, .79 goe. Considering her huge balance check that's a major gift
Chor Char Step Seq - also with a clear axis. Good. Nice and big. But she balance checked again out of it. .62g
SL Lift Level 4, .63
Chor Lift - which is rather simple but effective. 2.28g
Chor Spinning Move - which I think is the single most interesting and original piece of choreography in the program. It's quite unusual and spot on. 2.13g

Well they wanted to try something different and they did. I'm not sure they reconciled the same dilemma that plagued V/M sometimes: how do you integrate a traditional step sequence into a program that isn't trad ballroom at all?

Score: 108.02

Sorry but what nonsense. Absolute nonsense. The last third was shaky as hell.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Silver!!!:hap93:

And for Carriera and Ponomarenko ... they're only .2 of a point behind with the bronze! Simply stunning, for a 17-year-old and an 18-year-old just out of juniors. :cheer: Yay!

The last 3 dances were just breathtaking. :love:

Weathergal

Medalist
Music: Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd; Vladimir's Blues by Max Richter; Sign of the Times by Harry Styles
Costumes: Soft pink dress with postmodern silvery-striped bodice/breastplate for her (striking!); basic black for him

Program Layout:

Steps into
Dance Spin - nice first position but very slow. Level 4, 1.48g Cartwhell exit out and right into
Rotational Lift - with no set up (hard to build up speed so more difficult). Lunge out. Level 4, 1.04g Good stuff
Tempo change into
Serp Step Seq - which is (gasp!) actually in hold, so good for them. It does have a bit of a dated feel however. The judges ate it up. I only nibbled. Level 3, .90g. They're smart to put it with the music they did.
Curve Lift with leap entry. Level 4, .79 goe. Considering her huge balance check that's a major gift
Chor Char Step Seq - also with a clear axis. Good. Nice and big. But she balance checked again out of it. .62g
SL Lift Level 4, .63
Chor Spinning Move - which I think is the single most interesting and original piece of choreography in the program. It's quite unusual and spot on. 2.13g

Well they wanted to try something different and they did. I'm not sure they reconciled the same dilemma that plagued V/M sometimes: how do you integrate a traditional step sequence into a program that isn't trad ballroom at all?

Enjoyed all your commentary, WeakAnkles! :thank:

pearly

Record Breaker

Program Layout:

Steps into
Tempo change into
SL Lift Level 4, .63

I think being Zhulin's team helps in Russia. But I am glad they are doing well.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Actually I liked Sara and Kirill's performance best today - who knew The Great Gig and Harry Styles can make quite a good combo for competitive program:). I like the most in it how effortlessly affectionate it is, there is an emotion visible (particularly on Sara who is magnificent performer), but I like the colour/toned value of it, not being too literal with the music nor too much in my face, just about right. I like also the overall flow of the choreo, how all these choreo spins, lifts and moves are highlighting the music and their connection with each other and the music. I find first part stronger technically, more sharp, crisp and the second part to Styles more expressive and interesting in terms of performance quality. Most importantly, the program grows and develops with each performance - I find it also interesting due to having a dynamic notion to it in contemporary aesthetic, a nice build towards finale.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think being Zhulin's team helps in Russia. But I am glad they are doing well.

It's a really good program and they're actually gelling quickly into a top notch team. But you're supposed to score what is actually skated. And it wasn't. Look at their faces at the end of it and their utter surprise at the score. They knew it was shaky in spots. Sorry but I ain't buying what the judges are trying to sell.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Ok, so after this event, who's going for sure to GPF? And who has still some chance?

Last 3 places are down to the IdF wire between Zagorski/Guerreiro (2&3) who are waiting for PSquared (11 pts) , Vikita (13 pts) and Hawayek/Baker (15 pts).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hurtado/Khaliavin could end up as the first alternates for the Final, if Gilles/Poirier don't get silver next week.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Last 3 places are down to the IdF wire between Zagorski/Guerreiro (2&3) who are waiting for PSquared (11 pts) , Vikita (13 pts) and Hawayek/Baker (15 pts).

Wow! You're going to one hell of a competition! Keeping my fingers crossed for P[SUP]2[/SUP] then! They will need it.