2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS | Page 126 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Don't agree...anything can happen at the Olympics but what I mean is Karen can put in a good performance because she doesn't have the expectation of being the best on her team

Of course anything can happen but thats only if others falter. Scoring potential wise, if the other ladies go even semi clean (Kostner, Med, Zag, Osmond, Miyahara, even Maria), the US ladies have zero chance of a podium finish let alone winning.

kasha6

Rinkside
Just a random question, but would Ashley have had enough to win over Karen if she had only landed a 2sal instead of totally popping it? I think the pop also hurt her from a performance standpoint too. Aw, would've, could've, should'ves...

My guesss is if she landed it, they would have lowered her PCs some more, but that's the pessimist in me

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Some interesting you bring up Kostner because Bradie beat Kostner in the long program lombardia

kasha6

Rinkside
Honestly, none of them has the expectation of winning. Barely even the expectation of making the podium tbh, only if there's a splatfest. :slink:

I'ld be surprised if they make top 8; I think we will go back to having only 2 women at future worlds. I dont see us getting the magic "13"

shiroKJ

Record Breaker
Some interesting you bring up Kostner because Bradie beat Kostner in the long program lombardia

If my memory serves me right, Bradie was clean whereas Kostner was not even close to skating clean. What was their TES and PCS gap?

And that was before Kostner brought back the 3lutz. :laugh:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I personally don't think there was any sort of conspiracy to hold Ashley down and prop Karen up so she would make the team. If they disliked Ashley so much, she wouldn't have been given the Olympic spot in 2014 when she finished 4th. I'm an Ashley fan and only a milder fan of Karen but I can even see that Karen skated better last night (as did Mirai and Bradie). Ashley has lost some of her previous 'fire.'

Kinga

Medalist
Yup! :laugh:

so who wants the honor of making a meme for her reaction at this nationals? of course its got to say "I'M FURIOUS! FURIOUS! FURIOUS!" :biggrin:

You forgot, one of those was: ABSOLUTELY furious:rofl:

Borrowing bobbob's post from the SP to analyze the final PCS scoring

Bradie PCS
SP PB: 29.38, This Season: 27.44, 29.38, NATIONALS: 32.91
FS PB: 64.41, This Season: 61.04, 64.41, NATIONALS: 69.71
Difference from SB:
3.53 (SP) + 5.30 (FS) = +8.83

Mirai PCS
SP PB: 33.00, This Season: 30.24, 30.72, NATIONALS: 31.19
FS PB: 64.24, This Season: 63.28, 60.46, 63.09, NATIONALS: 67.42
Difference from SB:
0.47 (SP) + 4.14 (FS) = +4.61

Ashley PCS
SP PB: 34.77, This Season: 33.47, 33.68, NATIONALS: 32.94
FS PB: 73.78, This Season: 67.50, NATIONALS: 68.00
Difference from SB:
-0.74 (SP) + 0.50 (FS) = -0.24

Karen PCS
SP PB: 31.63, This Season: 30.43, 30.93, NATIONALS: 33.80
FS PB: 64.33, This Season: 62.16, 61.99, 61.89, NATIONALS: 69.58
Difference from SB:
2.87 (SP) + 7.42 (FS) = +10.29

Inflation for everyone BUT Ashley.
With regard to Ashley vs Karen: Can one really compare those scores? Different competitions, different programs, different performances. Ashley skated a new program, which was quite empty, felt "unfinished" and flat. Karen performed great tonight. Her previous LP outing was a disaster, hence no surprise of low PCS. Here, it was a different thing.

So emotional to see Mirai skate well at notional and get to go to Oly!!!! :yahoo:
About the Bradie... very consistent jumps, that’s all I can say, her proformance didn’t get to me at all ... during and program, I was just analysising her jumps :slink:

So for many Bradie's skating is uninteresting, but Mirai's is? I admire Mirai for her grit and fight, she did deserve 2nd place here, congrats on Oly spot. But to me she is not really musical, her choreography is nothing to remember, there is not much going on in between jumps and even if she makes a "interpretation " face here and there it feels forced. I love 3A, but otherwise I never understood the hype..
Bradie needs better programs in the future, but I think that cindirella LP is filled with one foot skating, multi-directional skating, in-between elements, self-confidence and it starts growing on me.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
If my memory serves me right, Bradie was clean whereas Kostner was not even close to skating clean. What was their TES and PCS gap?

Bradie TENNELL 132.36 TES 71.32 PCS 61.04
Carolina KOSTNER 126.69 TES 55.57 PCS 71.12

But Caro was anything but clean. A popped Sal, a popped A, a 3-2 combo and a dodgy landing of a 3T. So nowhere near current layout/form. And still had 10 PCS points over Bradie who had one slight wobble on the 3Lo.

kasha6

Rinkside

And that was before Kostner brought back the 3lutz. :laugh:

Bradie TENNELL
USA 132.36 71.32 61.04 7.55 7.45 7.85 7.60 7.70
Carolina KOSTNER
ITA 126.69 55.57 71.12 8.90 8.70 8.85 8.95 9.05
Carolina got the bronze with the total score being higher with the SP

shiroKJ

Record Breaker
Bradie TENNELL 132.36 TES 71.32 PCS 61.04
Carolina KOSTNER 126.69 TES 55.57 PCS 71.12

But Caro was anything but clean. A popped Sal, a popped A, a 3-2 combo and a dodgy landing to a 3T. So nowhere near current layout/form. And still had 10 PCS points over Bradie.

Found the protocols. Only two combos, both with doubles. :popcorn:
And thats only the FS. In the short, she was ahead of a clean Bradie by 7+ points with just a 3-2 combo.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You forgot, one of those was: ABSOLUTELY furious:rofl:

With regard to Ashley vs Karen: Can one really compare those scores? Different competitions, different programs, different performances. Ashley skated a new program, which was quite empty, felt "unfinished" and flat. Karen performed great tonight. Her previous LP outing was a disaster, hence no surprise of low PCS. Here, it was a different thing.

So for many Bradie's skating is uninteresting, but Mirai's is? I admire Mirai for her grit and fight, she did deserve 2nd place here, congrats on Oly spot. But to me she is not really musical, her choreography is nothing to remember, there is not much going on in between jumps and even if she makes a "interpretation " face here and there it feels forced. I love 3A, but otherwise I never understood the hype..
Bradie needs better programs in the future, but I think that cindirella LP is filled with one foot skating, multi-directional skating, in-between elements, self-confidence and it starts growing on me.

Sadly that's what happens when you go to Tom Z. He's helped Mirai with her jumps but everything else has regressed including speed and her skating skills and lets not talk about programs that his team come up with.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Can I say how wonderful it was to see Mirai nagasu take on the role of mentor and promote the unity of team amongst the girls on the team

louisa05

Final Flight
Okay a lot of you are saying the the US Fed is showing they are done with Ashley due to lower marks then she would get internationally. But why is the US Fed done with her? This is what I don't understand. i really think at an international event the results would be different.

I think that in the absence of any ladies who can contend for the podium (seriously, people, Bradie ain't a podium contender even if she's clean; and all the love from fans who moan about "princess" types is beyond me as a girl skating to Disney music with a big smile in a cartoon matching colored dress could not be more "princess" unless she wore a tiara and carried a "glass" slipper purchased in Orlando), USFSA has decided that the Olympics' marquee event is the perfect opportunity to sell the skaters they believe are the future , and they are Karen and Bradie. This was a marketing decision. They were only going to have one potentially retiring vet on this team if they could make that happen. Either Mirai or Ashley was going to be thrown under the bus while they attempt to build a brand. If Gracie had been in the competition and at her best, then both of them would have been thrown under in favor of her as the vet.

And their brand seems to always include a prototype teenage blonde white girl. Welcome Bradie, 2018's Polina.

I'm interested to see where the future goes. Will a World Team of Angela Wang, Karen and Starr ever happen even if they all deserve their spot? Something tells me it won't.

Icey

Record Breaker
The kind of conspiracy some of you are suggesting among the judges and between USFSA and the judges would be so complicated and imo impossible to construct and since it would involve so many people there would be a leak and a public exposure. Even approaching someone to be a party to it who wouldn't participate, would probably result in public exposure.

Icey

Record Breaker
Sadly that's what happens when you go to Tom Z. He's helped Mirai with her jumps but everything else has regressed including speed and her skating skills and lets not talk about programs that his team come up with.

Buttle choreographed both her programs, so why do you think they are so poor.

TCAngel18

Medalist
The kind of conspiracy some of you are suggesting among the judges and between USFSA and the judges would be so complicated and imo impossible to construct and since it would involve so many people there would be a leak and a public exposure. Even approaching someone to be a party to it who wouldn't participate, would probably result in public exposure.

Not necessarily. We’re not talking about shady backroom deals. The only think that would have to be done is overhearing conversations from perhaps a USFSA official about the direction they want the program to go, and the skaters best fit to head in that direction. This gets back to the judges, and they realize that, perhaps, if they don’t toe the line, they don’t get prime judging opportunities the next season. No conversation is actually had, but the message is clear.

I’m not saying this happened at all, but there are ways of sending a message without speaking or doing anything harmful.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Why did Karen beat Ashley please go look at one very telling element Ashley's catch leg spiral which was atrocious in Karen Outside Inside at spiral the quality was not there in Ashley skating I'm sorry that's the reality

kwanfan4

Rinkside
I would like to ask a question which might have already been answered. The latest picture out of the ladies shows Bradie, MiriaiDid and Karen standing and holding their medals. Why is Ashley in the picture holding a silver medal! Did she insert herself into the picture, I'm sure only the top 3 were pictured in the past.

louisa05

Final Flight
I would like to ask a question which might have already been answered. The latest picture out of the ladies shows Bradie, MiriaiDid and Karen standing and holding their medals. Why is Ashley in the picture holding a silver medal! Did she insert herself into the picture, I'm sure only the top 3 were pictured in the past.

U.S still gives out a pewter medal for the fourth place finisher, so Ashley was a medallist and thus appears in some of the photos of medallists.

Did you really think that she brought an old medal just in case and then butted into the photos with it and no one in charge did anything about it? :confused:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
So I got curious and found this... the biggest IF ONLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u5Q1Xok1y4

Part II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIC5ezOlbh8

... super interesting, love the process, the thoughts and insight behind the production..

Shouldn't have got the cold feet Ashley... this could have ended triumphantly...

I hope we see the program again! (She should have changed the SP as well. I hope this is not a sign of things to come for Hanyu repeating both.)