2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS | Page 128 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS

evasorange

Final Flight
CHARLIE WHITE AINT NEVER TOLD A LIE! Seriously I love him and I wish he could become the full time commentator for singles disciplines on nbc

johnsmith72

On the Ice
I know I'm late to the conversation, but the pcs marks are definitely eye brow raising for this competition. However, I'm not sure if I really disagree with the overall rankings that much.

Also, it's not just the salcow that destroyed Ashley's chances. If she had landed the lutz with no negative GOE, she would have gotten an extra 3 points and been on the team...:palmf:

ranjake

Final Flight
CHARLIE WHITE AINT NEVER TOLD A LIE! Seriously I love him and I wish he could become the full time commentator for singles disciplines on nbc

Love him too ! Does anyone know what gender Baby Tanith and Charlie had- and it's name?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s possible the illness was an anxiety reaction.....

Absolutely not! There was some kind of bug making the rounds at Nationals and both skaters and audience fell victim to it, including yours truly. I've been dragging myself around for the past 3 days, and at least I don't have to skate a long program with 7 jumps in it! Some of the early skaters were abysmal probably because they were suffering from the bug.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I'm thinking back on last night... so impressed that Bradie delivered under such intense pressure. That was awesome.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aren't all her pieces opinion pieces, really? ]

It’s basically just blog worthy personal opinions and rather misguided if you ask me. Do people really look to USA Today for this type of ranting? :slink:

TCAngel18

Medalist
Is Charlie even serious??? Unfortunately the judges here and at Skate America disagree. I don't trust an ice dancer's judgment of the importance of technical prowess in today's skating world.

I trust an Olympic Gold Medal Winning, 3 time Olympic Medalist Ice Dancer to have a damn good argument on the impact of the PCS categories. The technical wasn’t in question at all. It was the PCS that got people in an uproar.

Ice Dancers are the first people you would want to go to for an opinion on every one of the 5 categories of PCS. They as competitors didn’t have the luxury of big tricks or skills to garner points. They have to rely on edgework and step sequences and dance spins. They, more than any others, know what particular skills it takes to achieve each level increase in non jump elements, as well as the standards for each PCS level (what makes a 9 vs an 8 vs a 7). They are always self examining after every skate, because they again don’t have the luxury of saying “well, next time I’ll just Land the combo”.

If one of the best ice dancers ever comes out and says that Wagner was hosed, I believe him.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s basically just blog worthy personal opinions and rather misguided if you ask me. Do people really look to USA Today for this type of ranting? :slink:

Ashley is trending on the news and I just started reading articles, but normally I don't look to USA Today for figure skating coverage at all. Christine Brennan has been covering it forever though so someone must be reading it.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Christine Brennan has been covering it forever though so someone must be reading it.

It just seemed a little dismissive to other talented athletes. I like Ashley quite a bit but she isn’t immune to losing to younger talented skaters with equally impressive skill sets. That’s an opinion that others do share at all levels of the sport and Christine seems to be speaking down to those who don’t agree with her. Maybe it’s just my interpretation but she sounds a bit bitter that the sport is focusing more on a combination that favors the Athletics first. There are plenty of other skaters that offer a full package too and know how to use their technical prowess to show not only complex but inspiring performances. Karen is one of a long list of athletes that comes to my mind. Not saying Ashley couldn’t beat them...I’m saying they aren’t inferior to Ashley as this article seems to suggest.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It just seemed a little dismissive to other talented athletes. I like Ashley quite a bit but she isn’t immune to losing to younger talented skaters with equally impressive skill sets. That’s an opinion that others do share at all levels of the sport and Christine seems to be speaking down to those who don’t agree with her. Maybe it’s just my interpretation but she sounds a bit bitter that the sport is focusing more on a combination that favors the Athletics first. There are plenty of other skaters that offer a full package too and know how to use their technical prowess to show not only complex but inspiring performances. Karen is one of a long list of athletes that comes to my mind. Not saying Ashley couldn’t beat them...I’m saying they aren’t inferior to Ashley as this article seems to suggest.

Ashley had the best presentation at this competition and the scores did not reflect it.

One of the most interesting suggestions in the article is how Ashley had less training time because of promoting the sport specifically at the behest of the USFSA. There's a systemic problem with how the organization controls the fate of any skater. Nobody is allowed to go to competitions based upon their own merit, instead they have to be chosen. With the case of Ashley, perhaps she feels like she's in a situation where the USFSA used her in order to help line their own pockets and now have dumped her.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley had the best presentation at this competition and the scores did not reflect it.

One of the most interesting suggestions in the article is how Ashley had less training time because of promoting the sport specifically at the behest of the USFSA. There's a systemic problem with how the organization controls the fate of any skater. Nobody is allowed to go to competitions based upon their own merit, instead they have to be chosen. With the case of Ashley, perhaps she feels like she's in a situation where the USFSA used her in order to help line their own pockets and now have dumped her.

I think Karen’s Performance in the SP was noticably stronger than the field...both SP and FS performances considered. For me it is the best program this season for the US Ladies. The program has everything and has the potential to score well into the 70’s if skated well and scored fairly. That’s my opinion. Maybe she doesn’t have the same potential as Ashley in the free but I thought Ashley looked like she lost her concentration a few times in the FS which diminished her chance to hit La La Land’s full potential. The top performer of the FS for me was Mariah actually.

Interesting thoughts on the demands of being a pushed athlete but it happens in all sports. Nothing is guaranteed and I’m sure Ashley was paid and had plenty of notice for commitments. She’s been thru this all before...I’d be surprised if it caught her off guard. I feel really bad about the backlash she is getting though. Some of the comments I’ve seen are just awful!!