2018 US Championships Sr. Short Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Short Dance

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I think the Shibs pick their own music. Marina may make suggestions, but Maia and Alex have been in charge of their skating for a long time.

BECAUSE they took creative control in the 2015-2016 it has been really good for them.
H/D picked both their programs music their season too and the FD in particular works.
I think when people choose their programs themselves when they know each other, it clicks.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I think it’s just enough of a slight inflation to make a statement of a high score to international contenders, but not as egregious an inflation as Italian Nationals.

That is some serious cooking of results man. Serious.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Interesting Marina picks the same music for Shibs that she used for Gordeeva & Grinkov 1990 SP...
https://youtu.be/NcbHonxvC9E

I really love reading your posts that inform a lot of past performance by comparison. Wow, even with a lot of critical mistakes on the day, none can match the way Grinkov moved on the ice. He was a truly legend in pairs. Zueva was the choreographer for G/G, so the SD music choice for the Shibutanis is indeed interesting.

bramweld

Record Breaker
They had level3 on the pattern that's why it wasn't higher, otherwise lvl4 everywhere.

Okay, not so bad. Maybe that's why Alex was a little subdued. But good going.

Now these SDs look miles, and I do mean many miles better than the SDs we saw at Russian Nationals, now am I right? It's about to get real in less than a couple of weeks!!! :yahoo:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I think it’s just enough of a slight inflation to make a statement of a high score to international contenders, but not as egregious an inflation as Italian Nationals.

At some nationals, like US, you can't go too wild because the teams are close on an international level so it has to be judged more accurately (even with inflation = inflation for everyone). Even Canada has to restrain a bit more.
France for spot 2 and 3 had to easy unlike their #1 team.
Italia has the trophy of all wildness.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, not so bad. Maybe that's why Alex was a little subdued. But good going.

Now these SDs look miles, and I do mean many miles better than the SDs we saw at Russian Nationals, now am I right? It's about to get real in less than a couple of weeks!!! :yahoo:

Oh yes you are right. Euros are in 2 weeks though, you'll see all the Eastern Europe SD :laugh:

TCAngel18

Medalist
At some nationals, like US, you can't go too wild because the teams are close on an international level so it has to be judged more accurately (even with inflation = inflation for everyone). Even Canada has to restrain a bit more.
France for spot 2 and 3 had to easy unlike their #1 team.
Italia has the trophy of all wildness.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yes you are right. Euros are in 2 weeks though, you'll see all the Eastern Europe SD :laugh:

I blame Barbara Fusar-Poli. She gives NO you know what’s. I think that mentality spilled onto the rest of the judges 😂😂

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really love reading your posts that inform a lot of past performance by comparison. Wow, even with a lot of critical mistakes on the day, none can match the way Grinkov moved on the ice. He was a truly legend in pairs. Zueva was the choreographer for G/G, so the SD music choice for the Shibutanis is indeed interesting.

Thank you for your kind words. I have been a fan for a long time.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Interesting Marina picks the same music for Shibs that she used for Gordeeva & Grinkov 1990 SP...
https://youtu.be/NcbHonxvC9E

On one of their summer vlogs, there's a clip of Alex playing the music for the first time to Marina to tell her what he and Maia wanted to skate to for the SD and she looked so elated and amused by it. He was apparently explaining what he and Maia wanted to do with the music but the vlog cut off there. On another summer vlog, the Shibs are with Ryanimay Confreido as he was editing and adding more music to make the step sequence section sound fuller. Maybe Alex got the idea due to the Marina connection with G/G.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On one of their summer vlogs, there's a clip of Alex playing the music for the first time to Marina to tell her what he and Maia wanted to skate to for the SD and she looked so elated and amused by it. He was apparently explaining what he and Maia wanted to do with the music but the vlog cut off there. On another summer vlog, the Shibs are with Ryanimay Confreido as he was editing and adding more music to make the step sequence section sound fuller. Maybe Alex got the idea due to the Marina connection with G/G.

Could be. It seems there may be a connection, but maybe just a coincidence. I can imagine the amuse s look on Marina's face - I've heard this music before.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I swear, Zach Donohue makes me think so many adult thoughts that aren’t appropriate for this forum.

I hear ya. If only he weren't the same age as my children.:biggrin: But what I love about Zach is not only is he a cutie and a talented ice dancer, he is a sweetheart and a good son. (as a mother of sons I appreciate that quality).

TCAngel18

Medalist
I hear ya. If only he weren't the same age as my children.:biggrin: But what I love about Zach is not only is he a cutie and a talented ice dancer, he is a sweetheart and a good son. (as a mother of sons I appreciate that quality).

I’m right around his age (give or take a few years, shhhhh). That he isssssss.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a question, yall. I listen to skate radio when I watch the competitions (and then I go back and listen to the commentary that comes with IceNetwork, and then I watch the NBC broadcast that I've DVRed, fast forwarding through as much of Tara's screeching as I can - but anyway, the Pru Skate Radio people mentioned that the first team to skate had only been together a few months and that Nationals was their first competition together. How does that happen? I thought one had to win their way there through qualifying competitions or have a bye?

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have a question, yall. I listen to skate radio when I watch the competitions (and then I go back and listen to the commentary that comes with IceNetwork, and then I watch the NBC broadcast that I've DVRed, fast forwarding through as much of Tara's screeching as I can - but anyway, the Pru Skate Radio people mentioned that the first team to skate had only been together a few months and that Nationals was their first competition together. How does that happen? I thought one had to win their way there through qualifying competitions or have a bye?

It happens because in the USA there are not that many ice dance teams that compete nationally. So if there is no other team to compete against at Sectionals or only a couple of teams, that team or teams advances directly to Nationals.

Barb

Record Breaker
Wow, Maia and Alex really showed a great performance :love:, even without the mistake in twizzles of Zach, I think Maia and Alex deserved the first place. I was afraid that after what happened in the GPF they would be tentative with the twizzles or maybe they would eliminate the 8 twizzles, I'm glad I was wrong. And It is clear that they will be chosen to skate the short dance in the olympic team event.

I was very impressed with H/B too, it seems that they have been working hard :clap:.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It happens because in the USA there are not that many ice dance teams that compete nationally. So if there is no other team to compete against at Sectionals or only a couple of teams, that team or teams advances directly to Nationals.

Thanks, does it happen with pairs as well?