4 Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO, JPN 4 53.42

5 Haley SALES/ Nikolas WAMSTEEKER, CAN 3 54.11

6 Christina CARREIRA /Anthony PONOMARENKO, USA 2 68.61

7 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE, USA 1 79.11

WD Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC, FRA

No.NameNation
1Teodora MARKOVA / Simon DAZE
RD: "Libertango" by Astor Piazzolla
FD: Metallica Medley: "Fade to Black," "Nothing Else Matters," "What is Love," "Shut Up and Dance"
BUL
2Haley SALES / Nikolas WAMSTEEKER
RD: "Volver," by Maxime Rodriguez, Forever Tango:Volver, by Maxime Rodriguez, Forever Tango
FD: "Seduces me" and "Ne Me Quitte Pas" performed by Celine Dion; choreo by Mathew Gates
CAN
WDMarie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC
RD: "Cell Block Tango"/"Roxie" (from Chicago by John Kander & Fred Ebb)
FD: "Treasure"/"Talking to the Moon"/"Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars
FRA
4Emily Lauren MONAGHAN / Ilias FOURATI
RD: Tango
FD: "La Coronacion" and "Madre Terra" by Globus
HUN
5Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO
RD: "El sol Sueño" and "Sueño de Barrilete" by Eladia Blázquez
FD: Love Story soundtrack by Francis Lai: "Une Histoire D'Amour" performed by Mireille Mathieu
JPN
6Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO
RD: Tango Romantica; Tango; choreo by Igor Shpilband, Pasquale Camerlengo
FD: Clair de Lune; choreo by Igor Shpilband, Pasquale Camerlengo
USA
7Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE
RD: Tango: Alevare by Astor Piazzolla; Tango: Tangata del Alba by Astor Piazzolla; choreo by Marie-France Dubreuil, P. Lauzon, G. Cournoyer
FD: Introduction to Romeo (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong; Kissing You Instrumental (Romeoand Juliet soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong; Kissing You (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) performed by Desree; choreo by Marie-France Dubreuil, P. Lauzon, G. Cournoyer
USA
8Karina MANTA / Joseph JOHNSON
RD: Flamenco: "Malagueña" by Ernesto Lecuona; Tango: "Alcoba Azul" by Elliot Goldenthal; Flamenco: Malaguena by Ernesto Lecuona; choreo by Trina Pratt,Ben Agosto (RD)
FD: "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics; choreo Trina Pratt, Christopher Dean (FD)
USA

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Place Score Place Score
1 Emily Lauren MONAGHAN / Ilias FOURATI, HUN 5 49.54
2 Karina MANTA / Joseph JOHNSON, USA 6 49.01
3 Teodora MARKOVA / Simon DAZE, BUL 7 47.45
4 Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO, JPN 4 53.42
5 Haley SALES/ Nikolas WAMSTEEKER, CAN 3 54.11
6 Christina CARREIRA /Anthony PONOMARENKO, USA 2 68.61
7 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE, USA 1 79.11
WD Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC, FRA

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
With Lauriault and Le Gac withdrawing prior to the event, the first two podium places are clear. It will be a race for bronze between Komatsubara/Koleto and Sales/Wamsteeker.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What are they skating to? The costumes are very interesting. (He looks like a Klingon?)

I have no idea. I was wondering what the concept is behind the program.

Decent skate from Manta/Johnson. Some fun choreography in there (and some awkward places), and they were clearly loving it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well not quite 120, but pretty close for Hubbell and Donohue at 118+

They deserve the win by far, but honestly, they could have gone with any other romantic-sounding music and they could have done the same dance. I'm still not getting why specifically, they wanted to do Romeo and Juliet. But early days, maybe they can win me over later. :)

Last edited:

oly2018

Final Flight
C/P had the best free for me. The music cuts are jarring, but they all seem to be telling the same story, so it works for me. H/D free is kind of a let down. They didn't look into it and the voice over is awful.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
C/P had the best free for me. The music cuts are jarring, but they all seem to be telling the same story, so it works for me. H/D free is kind of a let down. They didn't look into it and the voice over is awful.

I liked the last part of Carreira and Ponomarenko's FD. I agree with the music cuts -- not crazy about them, but I agree there was some cohesion to the story.

In other news, I think it will be an interesting horse race for World spots. I think Chock and Bates, depending on how she recovers from injury should get No. 2. No. 3 is looking to between Hawayek/Baker, Parsons, McNamera/Carpenter and now Carreira/Ponomarkeno.

Last edited:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I hate to say it, but H/D's free is not clicking at all. The awful voiceover aside, the beginning is so sleepy in both the music and choreography. They really need to work on selling it more as they get more comfortable. Still, this is just so not suited to their strengths and feels like a bad mismatch. I really hope I'm wrong though. This is a big season for them.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed. H/D are so good-looking I could watch them skate to pretty much anything, but that program isn't doing them any favors.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow, it was indeed close between Komatsubara/Koleto and Sales/Wamsteeker. The former prevailed by less than half a point.

In other news, I think it will be an interesting horse race for World spots. I think Chock and Bates, depending on how she recovers from injury should get No. 2. No. 3 is looking to between Hawayek/Baker, Parsons, McNamera/Carpenter and now Carreira/Ponomarkeno.
I'd say Hawayek/Baker are the clear favourites for the third spot right now. Those other teams would have to really up their game to match H/B.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'd say Hawayek/Baker are the clear favourites for the third spot right now. Those other teams would have to really up their game to match H/B.

Hawayek and Baker I believe are at Autumn Classic next week, so we'll definitely have a better idea, but I don't think H/B are the runaway favorites like no doubt whatsoever. McNamera/Carpenter, in particular, I think could really play spoiler, especially with their FD.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I really enjoyed Carreira/Ponomarenko - I personally don't mind the music cuts but I've listened to the album that the songs are from and so maybe thats why they work ok for me? I am biased though because they're a team that I really love to watch.

Hubbell/Donohue - this wasn't for me. I actually like the music (not sure if anyone else is a Skam fan?) particularly the Radiohead portion. However, as a whole I didn't really find it all that thrilling. I also felt that the slide at the end was a mess - but I'm not really in a knowledgeable enough position to say so haha.

believed

On the Ice
Well not quite 120, but pretty close for Hubbell and Donohue at 118+

They deserve the win by far, but honestly, they could have gone with any other romantic-sounding music and they could have done the same dance. I'm still not getting why specifically, they wanted to do Romeo and Juliet. But early days, maybe they can win me over later. :)

In their recent Icetalk 2.0 interview, they said that they didn’t have any ideas of what to do, but had always loved the music so they (essentially) figured why not.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And H/D's program is different from every other program they've done in Montreal how? The only difference I could see is it's done at a slower tempo and the voiceover/poses, especially at the beginning, are just downright corny. So is the sudden "death of Juliet" at the end. Though to be honest, it's such a generic program that if you hadn't told me it was R&J, I would have no clue. Same old mush, served at a slightly cooler temperature.

The lifts are better though. And their edges.

Now surprise us and do something with that improved technique that has nothing to do with romance and sex.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hawayek and Baker I believe are at Autumn Classic next week, so we'll definitely have a better idea, but I don't think H/B are the runaway favorites like no doubt whatsoever. McNamera/Carpenter, in particular, I think could really play spoiler, especially with their FD.
I mean, just going off their track records, H/B consistently scored much higher than those other teams last season, and previous to that as well. I certainly hope that the others can improve on past disappointing results, but H/B would occupy that third spot by default right now.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And H/D's program is different from every other program they've done in Montreal how? The only difference I could see is it's done at a slower tempo and the voiceover/poses, especially at the beginning, are just downright corny. So is the sudden "death of Juliet" at the end. Though to be honest, it's such a generic program that if you hadn't told me it was R&J, I would have no clue. Same old mush, served at a slightly cooler temperature.

I had the same reaction to the sudden death ending. It was like they were trying to decide whether to tell the R&J story or to give their modern dance on it.

Also didn't they learn from Tessa and Scott's FD from last year that sudden death endings isn't exactly a big win?

They are extremely skilled, no doubt. But I'd like to see some growth...we'll see.

I mean, just going off their track records, H/B consistently scored much higher than those other teams last season, and previous to that as well. I certainly hope that the others can improve on past disappointing results, but H/B would occupy that third spot by default right now.

That is very true....I just think it might be more of a horse race. You may be right that H/B has more of a hold on that spot than I realize.

Last edited:

oly2018

Final Flight

The lifts are better though. And their edges.

Now surprise us and do something with that improved technique that has nothing to do with romance and sex.

I agree. It's just another romantic program, but this one falls really flat imo. I think they put the voiceover in just so that everyone would follow that it is R&J, cause the costumes and choreo don't do it.