2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1048 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Wonder what this not so good start means for Tarakanova's chances to get invited to Open Test Skates in the seniors at the start of next season.

A skater in contention must show no weaknesses, not even in the short program.

I feel for her, hope for a clean skating run in the free program tomorrow, but will it be enough? Perhaps returning from an injury gives her some respite, but also the need to skate one or more full competitions again before season ends?

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Russian Cup Final after the short

Guliakova 73.23
Gubanova 72.13 (was best imo)
Tsibinova 67.02 (UR 3T)
Talalaykina 66.50
Nugumanova 66.39 (two URs)
Shulskaya 65.95
Frolova 60.01 (missed the combo)
Tarakanova 57.30 (fell on her Lutz, then only a shaky double combo)

I really thought Tarakanova could win here! But it doesn't seem likely now...

Strangely, Nugumanova was initially 3rd with 68.39 points, but I checked the protocols, the score of 66.39 seems accurate.
(Edit: Nugumanova got 2 bonus points for her spins that is not in the final protocols.)

Long program tomorrow at 12.00 CET (I think)

I don't understand why Tarakanova didn't try to do a Flip or a Toeloop as her second jump as adding combos to loop is quite inconvenient.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Wonder what this not so good start means for Tarakanova's chances to get invited to Open Test Skates in the seniors at the start of next season.

A skater in contention must show no weaknesses, not even in the short program.

I feel for her, hope for a clean skating run in the free program tomorrow, but will it be enough? Perhaps returning from an injury gives her some respite, but also the need to skate one or more full competitions again before season ends?

Agreed. Worst case scenario, this might be the last we see of her!!

I hope she holds on to 24th place on the SB list, that might give her a break, but that seems unlikely now with JrW and Worlds coming up.

She really really needs to redeem herself tomorrow. This was not good at all.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I don't understand why Tarakanova didn't try to do a Flip or a Toeloop as her second jump as adding combos to loop is quite inconvenient.

Yes, a 3T+3T combo would have been much better. She had nothing to lose. But maybe she is just not fully recovered after her injury?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Samodelkina is born in January 2007, so she falls into the late 06 - early 07 age bracket and will be age eligible next season alongside Petrosyan. Akatieva is born July 2007 while Zhilina is born May 2008, so even though they're about a year apart, they both fall into the late 07 - early 08 age bracket and will debut in juniors a year after, in the 2021-22 season, along with Berestovskaya. I don't have an actual source for their birthdays, but they've been mentioned a few times in this thread and on Youtube and Instagram as well, so I'm just recalling.

Akatieva's birthday is very easy to remember. It's 07/07/07 :laugh:.

And Petrosyan is precisely a month older, 7th june 2007.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
To me, it is not so clear who benefits from the -5/+5 GOEs. If all the judges give you +5, you don't get 5 extra GOE points. You get a percentage of base value. So the skaters who benefit most are those that do the highest base value jumps.

Is this better or worse than the old method, where +3 on a triple jump really meant +3?

It's not correct. In the old system the GOE for +3 on any triple jump was 2.1 (which is now max GOE for a 3T). It was the max GOE for any quad that was 3. Now, the GOE for +5 on let's say 3Lz is 2.95, while the GOE for a quad starts with 4.75 on 4T.

So, to answer the question, the -5/+5 system is convenient for those who do more difficult jumps.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Yes, a 3T+3T combo would have been much better. She had nothing to lose. But maybe she is just not fully recovered after her injury?

Could very well be true. Loop combos are hard on the hip and even though Anastasiya was said to have an ankle injury, reduced training loads means her leg strength suffered too?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Was Valeriya Shulskaya held back in scoring because she is from the regions?

Her BV was an excellent 31.93, right behind the Sankt Peterburg Anastasiya's (31.99).

But Valeriya seemed to skate a little cautiously, probably wanting to skate confidently clean, not wanting to risk anything yet (she is still new to the scene of Russian senior skating)

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Samodelkina won the FCR and I don't argue with that, but her score as always a little bs. I am interested in what score the judge will give her next year at international junior competitions. Right now, it seems to me that her points have a large part of "support" to balance russian novice/junior field.

Inside CSKA, they seriously talk about the absolute (!) Superiority of Samodelkina in their age group. The results here, as before in Moscow, should confirm this, so there is such a gap between her and others. The relative failure at JrNats is explained by them as an annoying mistake. I don’t understand what they are counting on. Next year in JGP she will meet with the Liu and the girls of Tutberidze, who are already there and have already been able to make themselves known. In the international judges, she will be just “another one Russian”. And in a year Akatieva and Zhilina will arrive. Yes, she is a great skater, but she will not be easy.
I’ll add from myself: looking at Berestovskaya 4T attempts hurts my eyes.

Orlov

Medalist
Inside CSKA, they seriously talk about the absolute (!) Superiority of Samodelkina in their age group. The results here, as before in Moscow, should confirm this, so there is such a gap between her and others. The relative failure at JrNats is explained by them as an annoying mistake. I don’t understand what they are counting on. Next year in JGP she will meet with the Liu and the girls of Tutberidze, who are already there and have already been able to make themselves known. In the international judges, she will be just “another one Russian”. And in a year Akatieva and Zhilina will arrive. Yes, she is a great skater, but she will not be easy.

"absolute superiority", really? well, as the proverb says "each sandpiper praises its swamp" :laugh:
do you have insiders in CSKA?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I’ll add from myself: looking at Berestovskaya 4T attempts hurts my eyes.

Given that Samodelkina is the only one besides the Valiyeva-Usachyova-Khromykh trio who currently has ultra-si in the junior age, #TeamDavydov must play their game with some amount of 'overconfidence' just to emphasise their presence a little more against the might and reputation of #TeamTutberidzeForProgress. But not too much or too aggressive, or it will quickly fall through, backfire even and hurt Samodelkina's chances.

Junior Russian Nationals and Ted's commentary put Samodelkina on the map and directed professional attention from all over the world to Sof'ya and her team. Sof'ya appears to be smart and realistic, but this was only first time I've heard her talk. Her parents, trainers and this sponsor need to be realistic too, and not fall for Plyushchenko kind of quick win solutions and other nonsense.

Of course next Season she and her team need to deliver the promised goods, first at Junior Open Test Skates, and when selected, in the JGP stages. But realistically, competing with 2nd year juniors like VUK and Liu (You perhaps too), will be very hard. Sof'ya skates much slower than the Tutberyats, even slower than Petrosyan, who is also in contention for next season's JPG, plus perhaps one of Osokina or Muravyova.
Sof'ya has the artistry at her core, but it needs to be developed further, deeper and brighter to be really competitive with the Tutberyats in this aspect. Most importantly, Sof'ya need to stay healthy and trim, she looks quite buff already and going through the first phases of puberty might change her shape and weight for the worse.

So I don't expect miracles and a finals placements from Sof'ya next season (neither from Adeliya). But who knows? Best hope for #TeamDadydov not to ruin their chance and this wonderful skater's.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Russian Cup Final after the short

Guliakova 73.23
Gubanova 72.13 (was best imo)
Tsibinova 67.02 (UR 3T)
Talalaykina 66.50
Nugumanova 66.39 (two URs)
Shulskaya 65.95
Frolova 60.01 (missed the combo)
Tarakanova 57.30 (fell on her Lutz, then only a shaky double combo)

Disgusting judging. Despite so many calls for others - Guliakova's and Gubanova's BOTH URed jumps in combination weren't called - while Tsibinova's UR was invented (falsely called). It seems, considering that RCF results contributes to RusFed financing next season - it was already decided who they want to support.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Was Valeriya Shulskaya held back in scoring because she is from the regions?

Her BV was an excellent 31.93, right behind the Sankt Peterburg Anastasiya's (31.99).

But Valeriya seemed to skate a little cautiously, probably wanting to skate confidently clean, not wanting to risk anything yet (she is still new to the scene of Russian senior skating)

They held her back on PCS and GOE, just like at nationals. And perhaps she looks a bit tentative, but I think her jumping qualitites are top notch. The height in that 3T!!

We will see tomorrow, if she skates clean, then she has a chance at the podium.

I think the podium tomorrow will probably have Guliakova and Gubanova, and then anyone who skates clean. That could very well be Shulskaya.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Disgusting judging. Despite so many calls for others - Guliakova's and Gubanova's BOTH URed jumps in combination weren't called - while Tsibinova's UR was invented (falsely called). It seems, considering that RCF results contributes to RusFed financing next season - it was already decided who they want to support.

I kind of disagree. I thought all three had close calls but were just inside. Tsibinova's call was unfortunate.

What surprised me though was that they didn't give Guliakova an e call on her Lutz. She's been called all season and her Lutz hasn't gotten any better. It is as clear an inside edge as I can spell Medvedeva.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Don’t forget that Gulyakova is a spare for worlds. If she skates “visually clean” I think she will win. They won’t want to hurt her rep by hammering her with calls and placing her under others in case she is needed. It might not be fair, but that’s how it is (or at least how I see it).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
It's not correct. In the old system the GOE for +3 on any triple jump was 2.1 (which is now max GOE for a 3T). It was the max GOE for any quad that was 3. Now, the GOE for +5 on let's say 3Lz is 2.95, while the GOE for a quad starts with 4.75 on 4T.

So, to answer the question, the -5/+5 system is convenient for those who do more difficult jumps.

But we musn't forget that those more difficult jumps can also cost a lot if you don't succeed. That's why Kostornaia has beaten Shcherbakova and Trusova twice.

And Medvedeva wouldn't have gotten bronze at last year Worlds if not for the +5/-5 system. She simply beat Kihira on GOE.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Don’t forget that Gulyakova is a spare for worlds. If she skates “visually clean” I think she will win. They won’t want to hurt her rep by hammering her with calls and placing her under others in case she is needed. It might not be fair, but that’s how it is (or at least how I see it).

Yes I think so too. If Guliakova fails miserably here, it doesn't look good for RusFed. So they will try to hold her up. We'll see what happens tomorrow. If Guliakova doesn't deliver - will they change the substitute spot for Worlds?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Yes I think so too. If Guliakova fails miserably here, it doesn't look good for RusFed. We'll see what happens tomorrow. If Guliakova doesn't deliver - will they change the substitute spot for Worlds?

Tuktamysheva is second alternate, right? But AFAIK, she isn't maintaining herself in competitive readiness, instead doing her show and other commercial stuff.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Tuktamysheva is second alternate, right? But AFAIK, she isn't maintaining herself in competitive readiness, instead doing her show and other commercial stuff.

Liza is first alternate, Nastya Guliakova second.

I wonder why Liza Nugumanova didn't get her bonuses after all? I thought it was that the spin had to have an average of +4 GOE, and all of her spins had that. There were definitely bonuses here, since Liza Berestovskaya got some, so I wonder why they were initially given and then removed.