2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 1056 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

brakes

On the Ice
Yikes...when we start going off the rails we go all in :slink:

I noticed today that Polina Shelepen posted a Bday wish to Eteri and thanked her for everything. Is it translated correctly that she said Eteri has been there for her for most of her life? That’s good to hear! For those of you that don’t remember aPolina or know what she’s up to she was one of Eteri’s first students to gain success and is now herself a coach too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B88SpcLIAVy/?igshid=17glayi5ir0hp
Wow, I didn't know she streams her gaming sessions! I wonder if she answers fs questions during these - can you imagine 3-4 hours of insight into Tutberidze's secrets? :dev3:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxNdr7_a2yHGE6c-kI5AHVQ/videos

Scott512

Record Breaker
Agree, losing muscle also can be very dangerous in competitive sport. Even in figure skating there are different body types and just because someone has more muscular legs or is a little more 'compactly-built' does not mean that their body is the problem(I think in the high competitive levels 97% during the season problems are definitely not related to body lol)
For sure.

Gubanova moving to CSKA was her chance to get some recognition, she did really well with Turenko and never got rewarded for it (they placed Konstantinova ahead of her many times in spite of less clean performances, less consistency,...).

We can discuss for hours about how her season went there but in a nutshell, she missed her chance for a GP spot by not skating well at Tallinn Trophy, otherwise she would have had at least one GP spot this season.

The way i see it is that Buyanova got rid of her as soon as her chances to get a GP spot for the next season vanished. She did the same with Tsurskaya (retired) and Sotskova (switched to Sokolovskaya, transition to retirement).

The other problem is that the best coaches for Ladies at that club were Davydov (who only coaches juniors for some reason), and Goncharenko (she left the club). Neither options were available so realistically Gubanova would have probably had to leave anyway sooner rather than later.

CSKA without Tarasova as main coach, is not the same club it used to be. The only thing that stays the same is the backing.

Absolutely, i'd say the difference is when RusFed is pushing you even if you make a mistake in the short, they'll overscore the free to compensate (they did it with Sinitsyna this year, and others in the past), while if they don't as soon as you make a mistake you're done.

That said 10th at Russian Nationals is not a terrible result, she did comeback in the free and she did well at the Cup Final. I wouldn't consider this season bad, she did fine at most events.

Now she's with a caring coaching team who is willing to help her growing, and not rushing for quick results, as they did with Leonova, Aliev, Ignatov,... Rukavicin's group is the best choice for her right now. Plus puberty is gone, and her technique is still very solid.
Thank you for such detailed explanation on many different things. Nastya did okay at most events the problem is she hardly had any events.
Sure. You know it‘s not my (or anyone‘s) job to educate you about the consequences of careless body-shaming. There‘s been multiple attempts to explain it reasonably to you. But you’ll have to expect people to be appalled at least by your comments if you continue to do it.

It would be funny if the topic wasn’t such a serious one.

“If you can offer reasonable criticism of a skater‘s technique then why can‘t I body-shame some athlete in any way I want???“

Makes a lot of sense and is totally the same. Not. Anyway, not my business. I‘ve said everything I have to say about this.

You said a lot and made a lot of sense. I also think females are generally more sensitive to this issue than men are.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I’m just recently finding out that in the 2015/16 season, Zagitova had a fs to the Ghost musical soundtrack and it is the exact same cut as Maya Khromyk’s this season.
Zagitova looked so cute in her gray and white costume, awwww!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

TSL reaction: "Russian propaganda" :laugh2:

I saw similar tribute today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFc1h0pTch4

Eteri is a human, woman dedicated to the sport to that she contributed undeniable way. If there was no Eteri and her school, I would've probably never became a figure skating fan (double trouble for some :) ). Undoubtedly she made mistakes in her career, wrong decisions, sometimes probably was controlled more by passion then by reason, but show me someone who did not make the same mistakes among the top coaches of the world. But the revolution she broughht to the sport (she may become a coach because of whom ISU will change the rules twice in two years :) ), the results of her athletes, and the way the most of her athletes (even the former ones) speak of her shows this woman is extraordinary and for russian figure skating essential.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
The Goldenskate Forum has guidelines which may be found here:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?18607

Please familiarize yourself with all guidelines before posting:

Please note the following guidelines:

Body-shaming and discussing of skaters' physical health/body image
While it is reasonable to discuss whether a skater is in optimal physical condition to compete, we ask that you please refrain from using terms like "fat," "heavy," "chubby," "too skinny," and other terms and phrases that are used to shame the skater. Furthermore, please don't speculate regarding a skater's diet/weight gain/or other health aspects unless it's publicly disclosed by the skater.

Discussion about body image or mental and physical health and its role in figure skating is also fine, but we again ask that you aim to speak in generalities and again do not use to shame skaters using the terms used above.

Harassment
Persistently ridiculing, calling out, and/or insulting a member in a direct or indirect manner is a form of harassment.

Please comply with all guidelines. Posts that do not are subject to removal. Thank you.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I don't know what to make of this article or blog post or whatever it is. There was nothing tragic about that day. It was two great Russian skaters lifting their ountry's beleaguered sports image to great heights.

Alina and Evgenia we're great at night. That's how I remember it.

We are not in agreement on this - we were there and it was not a tragedy, but it was a big drama, a shock. My wife said she could not sleep well at night. Even Russia's loss to Croatia during the World Cup which we also saw both from the stands did not stir such emotions as DQ vs. Karenina.

Scott512

Record Breaker
We are not in agreement on this - we were there and it was not a tragedy, but it was a big drama, a shock. My wife said she could not sleep well at night. Even Russia's loss to Croatia during the World Cup which we also saw both from the stands did not stir such emotions as DQ vs. Karenina.

You knew Alina could win Olympic gold. How could it be a shock? Your wife obviously wanted Zhenya to win. Both were great in my opinion. Like EG said Both Deserve the gold medal.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Moscow's Elder Age Championships, girls, SP (top 6 advance to Elder Age Nationals):

1. Elizaveta Berestovskaya 66.98
2. Adelya Petrosyan 66.73
3. Sofia Vazhnova 65.80
4. Veronika Zhilina 65.63 (wonky combo landing)
5. Sofia Akatieva 65.18 (hand down on 3A combo)
6. Maria Zakharova 63.63
7. Sofia Muravieva 63.34
8. Viktoria Sinyavina 58.81
31 participants, 24 advanced to LP.

Only 2007 born and older will advance: https://fsrussia.ru/files/docs/competition_regulation1920_revised.pdf , Vazhnova and Zhilina are too young.

There should be no major mistakes tomorrow.

Start order: https://www.sportvokrug.ru/r/competition/6097/Стартовый ПП девушки.pdf

Hope for Muravyova to make it, she fought hard by herself all these competitions. Assuming Samodelkina is already qualified, 5 more or if Samodelkina is given a bye, all the top 6 born 2007 or older will advance to the Finals March 11-15 in Tver, hometown of Alina Gorbachyova who has qualified.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
My bad, to FP ( and both deservedly) but not to the Finals, if I understood the rules correctly.

brakes

On the Ice
Assuming Samodelkina is already qualified, 5 more or if Samodelkina is given a bye, all the top 6 born 2007 or older.
Can she qualify on coach comitee decision's bye to Elder Nats?
If so, how do we know, if other skaters like Sinitsyna or Frolova didn't get a bye?

Also, do I understand correctly, that Elder Age Nats are something like Junior Nats B, important for next season's funding (for top 6 there)?
If so, wouldn't it be important for 7th Sinitsyna and 8th Frolova junior nats finishers to be there?

Fluture

Record Breaker
Can she qualify on coach comitee decision's bye to Elder Nats?
If so, how do we know, if other skaters like Sinitsyna or Frolova didn't get a bye?

Also, do I understand correctly, that Elder Age Nats are something like Junior Nats B, important for next season's funding (for top 6 there)?
If so, wouldn't it be important for 7th Sinitsyna and 8th Frolova junior nats finishers to be there?

I think Sinitsyna finished in the top 6 at Senior Nationals so she should be fine in terms of funding.

These Elder Age Nationals and co. have always confused me a bit. I was under the impression they were only for pre-juniors, so novices and generally young skaters. But if someone had an explanation, I‘d be grateful. :scratch2:

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I think Sinitsyna finished in the top 6 at Senior Nationals so she should be fine in terms of funding.

These Elder Age Nationals and co. have always confused me a bit. I was under the impression they were only for pre-juniors, so novices and generally young skaters. But if someone had an explanation, I‘d be grateful. :scratch2:

This is also what I thought. Didn’t Anna Shcherbakova compete at the Elder age final when she was coming back from her injury two seasons ago? I think that this competition is mainly for girls who want to turn junior or are novices.