2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 194 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Fluture

Record Breaker
That's my problem with her interviews. Almost a year ago she said that all her friends are at her new place and that she was very happy in Canada. Now I read that she had a year of struggle and tough adjustments and her friends are in Moscow.

But my biggest problem is that such a large and profound interview not to some random guys but to ISU appears now, on July 15. I would understand it much bettter if it would have come out close to New Year when she wins her GP stages, GPF, and tells the world what a long way she had to go since Olympics to regain her former glory. Yes, you could refer it to my "Russian mentality" but I read this interview like "it was hard work for me before and now I have fun". Come on, is this sport about winning medals or about having fun?

And she said in her interview that she sort of underestimated the toll such changes would take.

“It was very difficult to get used to the new environment, although I thought it is nothing special, I am already used to it and to the people around me. However, I got used to them only now.“

This makes it very clear, in my opinion, she thought it would be easier, thus all the talk last year how happy she was already. I’m sure she felt happy in Canada at that time. But she underestimated how hard it really is to be away from your old support system, friends, family... She was simply being 19 years old, a young person that had not made such a change before and didn‘t know what was lying ahead of her. Then she had the tough year, fought through it and is now looking back at it. I see no conspiracy here. It might be surprising but people change all the time, especially young ones. So do their expectations and opinions. I‘m sure if you were as much in the public spotlight as Evgenia is, we would find just as many things you said that might seem contradictory but were actually just a result of you changing and evolving as a person. :)

As for the second part... She did just win a Worlds bronze after the toughest season she ever had and after many people wrote her off, thinking she‘d either bomb or not make it there at all. I can see why people would be interested in such a story. Maybe Worlds bronze is not enough for you to count as “glory“ or “winning“ but given the season she went through, it‘s at least winning over herself. I personally like it when people are being honest and share some of their thoughts and feelings along the way of their journey. I don‘t think only people who are winning should give interviews about what they went through - it makes it easier to root for somebody if they take you along the way like Evgenia did this year. She was opening up when she was struggling (GP season, missing GPF), when she started to see a turning point (RusNats FS, Cup Finals) and when it looked like finally she‘d overcome herself and found confidence again. (Worlds) Now the next season lies ahead and we‘ll see what happens there. But I find it interesting to get some insights not only when people are at their moments of glory but also when they‘re at just the opposite. It makes them seem more human and relatable.

As for the “it was hard work before and now it is fun“. Come on. She basically said that she wasn‘t even on vacation this year and kept on skating. Told how she‘s preparing seriously for the new season. What is there to indicate that she‘s only having fun now? Something I found interesting was when she did the interview with Jason for the Olympic Channel. He said he learned how to focus more from Zhenya and she said she learned how to have a bit more fun during work. I see this more as her talking about herself evolving as a person, not necessarily only about the environment. Even though this of course played a big role as she has people who help her along this new path - like Jason, Brian and Tracy.

In the end, though, I think this is our different mindsets. For me not everything is about glory. Evgenia‘s had enough glory in her career and judging by the way she uprooted her entire life to keep on skating, she‘s still not done going for Gold at competition. But this isn‘t the only thing that makes her such an interesting athlete for me. In my mind, sometimes winning over yourself and going for the changes you want even if it might not be the easiest way, is far more impressive than any gold could ever be.

I remember when Michelle Kwan abruptly cut ties with her long-time coaching/choreography team of Frank Carroll and Lori Nichol in 2001. It was awkward; some feelings were hurt. If there was a majority opinion among U.S. fans I think it was something like, "What are you thinking in your silly head, Michelle. The Dream Team has led you to 4 world championships!"

However, there was such a reservoir of good will towards all three of them that fans in general did not rush in to place blame. Stuff happens. Good luck to all of them.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I remember when Michelle Kwan abruptly cut ties with her long-time coaching/choreography team of Frank Carroll and Lori Nichol in 2001. It was awkward; some feelings were hurt. If there was a majority opinion among U.S. fans I think it was something like, "What are you thinking in your silly head, Michelle. The Dream Team has led you to 4 world championships!"

However, there was such a reservoir of good will towards all three of them that fans in general did not rush in to place blame. Stuff happens. Good luck to all of them.

Internet wasn't a thing back then as much as it is now :)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
link, please

Probably this is what was meant, but that is not what she rally says. She says "I can't speak of friendship, I'm not sure whether I have them" (at least that's how it was translated), that means "our friendship was not tested yet." This is another thing that can be felt differently in the east and west. Can't speak for Russia, but in my country when someone speaks about friend, it is a person that you can rely on in hard situations, who will help you, support you. Not just someone with whom you speak every day and wgho smiles at you (and I believe this will be quite similar in Russia). Which doeasn't mean you can't be friendly in contact. Also, as was stagted here that "environment is not so friendly at Khrustanyi, she says exact opposite: "At figure skating rink we have very friendly environment."

Fluture

Record Breaker
Thank you for reminding me again how hilarious Sasha‘s “stay kind... and tear everyone down. Into pieces“ brothers are. :rofl:

Orlov

Medalist
I think it's from the Olympic Channel interview.

Do you mean this - "At the figure skating rink we have a very friendly enviroment. Etery Georgievna jokes very often"- moment? :)

I understand that you are talking about this moment. But here we are talking about something completely different. In Russia, the word "friend" is very serious, actualy. In Russia, to say that "this person is my friend" is like being in America (as always, i'm judging by the movies :)) to say "this person is my bff". So Sasha just say that in "Khrystalniy" she dont't have bff, and that she is more family-person.

It's amazing how people are ready to make global conclusions on small, semi-random pieces of information (and, in addition, without knowing anything about foreign culture and language).

Orlov

Medalist
Thank you for reminding me again how hilarious Sasha‘s “stay kind... and tear everyone down. Into pieces“ brothers are. :rofl:

“Stay kind,” said the elder brother, and “tear everyone apart” - the younger brother. He is still small, and still does not know that you need to be diplomatic :biggrin:

Fluture

Record Breaker
“Stay kind,” said the elder brother, and “tear everyone apart” - the younger brother. He is still small, and still does not know that you need to be diplomatic :biggrin:

I know and that‘s what makes it so endearing. The cute little boy who proudly announces his sister will tear all her competition apart. Children tell the truth of what they think, they do not need to be diplomatic yet. Thankfully because it leads to situations like that. It’s such a funny yet genuinely honest moment that I have to laugh every time I see it. :biggrin:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
As for the second part... She did just win a Worlds bronze after the toughest season she ever had and after many people wrote her off, thinking she‘d either bomb or not make it there at all. I can see why people would be interested in such a story. \

There was today's piece of news: Medvedeva's big interview to ISU. I commented on that - I think it is more than enough for now. Let's wait for another piece of news. And what is more important, let's wait for competitions.

I could comment on your full comment - there are many parts with which I simply don't agree but I won't - my "Russian mentality" tells me that most habitues here have made up their minds long time ago - I myself is almost there now. So, why bother? I shall just pick one that I cited. I don't see a story which would be very interesting to me. Like a story how she dropped a short program, how she managed to overcome her consistency issues and deliver when it mattered most. How Orser or whoever if anyone helped her to do that. Yes, that would be much more interesting than loads of PR and generic stuff like "I perform best under pressure". As a comparison, we read a very emotional story how Alina had to cope with her injuries, how she was on the brink of quitting, not going to the worlds, how Eteri helped to overcome her psychological meltdowns. Yes, that was an interesting story of struggle and coming atop at the end...for me. But let it pass.

On a different note, thank you electra blue for my 7777 thumbs up. I am not a person who fights for likes, I prefer money :) But, at the same time, it is very important for me to feel that I am not alone in this "cruel world".

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, Daniil probably gets a monthly fee that probably adds up over 15000$ a year. Compare that to a one-time cost of 15000$- I doubt that It is cheaper to have a permanent in-house choreographer. In addition to that you also have to pay insurance for him etc... I really believe it is cheaper the way Mishin does it.

the way Mishin does it? Choreography? And Mishin? In the same sentence?!! :)

Lemme tell you how he does it. He pays to outside choreographers a hefty amount of money, so his skaters receive a nice choreo. A month later or so he starts dismissing most of the choreo parts which in his eyes are distracting skaters from jumps, so just in time for competitions his skaters barely have any choreography left in their programs. All that money, all that effort and time, all that choreo training and practice = gone! Initial pose, some arm waving, some strokes and brackets, than comes telegraphing across the whole length of an ice rink for those 3 big jumps in the beginning, than some meaningless chorea not making any sense, than jumps again, spins, final pose, the end. Mishin style.

Internet wasn't a thing back then as much as it is now :)

Back then the Golden Skate Forum was essentially a big Michelle Kwan love-in. :) Two-thirds or more of the membership were Kwan fans. When Sasha Cohen came on the scene, the Cohen-heads (as they were called, riffing on "Cone-heads") felt that they were outnumbered and bullied.

The only skater who was actually picked on, though, was Irina Slutskaya. There was only one active and enthusiastic Slutskaya fan on the whole board. Interestingly, that poster was Canadian.

Although the forum did not have very much of an international presence in its earliest days, the most popular men's skater was Yagudin. In pairs, Shen and Zhao were very much liked. :yes:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Probably this is what was meant, but that is not what she rally says. She says "I can't speak of friendship, I'm not sure whether I have them" (at least that's how it was translated), that means "our friendship was not tested yet." This is another thing that can be felt differently in the east and west. Can't speak for Russia, but in my country when someone speaks about friend, it is a person that you can rely on in hard situations, who will help you, support you. Not just someone with whom you speak every day and wgho smiles at you (and I believe this will be quite similar in Russia). Which doeasn't mean you can't be friendly in contact. Also, as was stagted here that "environment is not so friendly at Khrustanyi, she says exact opposite: "At figure skating rink we have very friendly environment."

If anyone has ever seen 3A off the ice you know they are friends but on the ice they are competitors. That's the way it should be the three of them have great camaraderie.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I know and that‘s what makes it so endearing. The cute little boy who proudly announces his sister will tear all her competition apart. Children tell the truth of what they think, they do not need to be diplomatic yet. Thankfully because it leads to situations like that. It’s such a funny yet genuinely honest moment that I have to laugh every time I see it. :biggrin:

I hope Sasha is ready but let's face it the competition will be much tougher in seniors than juniors. While Sasha was a truly great Junior and won 2 junior World titles in a row she was not undateable. But if she lands her quads then watch out. ;)

moriel

Record Breaker
This a very good explanation. I don't want to offend anyone but don't expect users from the western emisphere to completely understand your words :laugh: I lost count how much fake news got spread through comments here because of translation misunderstandings, not to mention russian /american/ western cultural contrasts. Some things are hard to get and you can not blame them :)

Recently I was really shocked arguing on reddit with an american - a strong critic of Eteri T., whom he accused of starving the students. Challenging this person, he finnally admited that the so called Eteri methods concerning diets, weight control issues, are pretty common in US and in general in the skating world but he still condemned Eteri because in US the coaches at least speak publicly about the importance of skaters putting their health first. I find that hypocritical, if a coach speaks on TV against it doesn't really mean he doesn't do it during practice. The "image" is really important for them :laugh:

And another issue to all this is that non-Russian speakers kind of miss a lot of russian media context, which had a lot of fun stuff happening since the Olympics, which was the thing that turned quite a few fans away from Zhenya
They don't hear Lipnitskaya commenting on Zagitova's Olympic Gala performance, and wondering why is Alina getting so much hate.
The Olympic videos by 1st channel (tarasova commenting) actually had to be edited before being uploaded to youtube, due to how inappropriate her live comments were. People who don't speak russian can't appreciate that.
They dont hear Tarasova insulting Alina's father on tv.
They don't see al the russian media and FS community outcry to raise the age limits (compare this with US, who are happy to have the young prodigy Alisa Lyu, mostly - while russians spent most of this year defending the raising the senior age limits. For real.)
They likely didn't get to read Levan Matua's interview about pre-Olympic marketing.
The negativity about Eteri in russian media and interviews of FS people.
Journalists calling Medvedeva a "holy person", or openly insulting Alina.
Headlines about Alina always containing something negative: "She won, but fell" and so on.
Zhenya being awarded a gold "champion of hearts" medal.
Stuff like that.

And while many of those things are not such a big deal or even cute if isolated from everything else, all together has a certain trend.

Most non speakers end up missing quite a lot of context like this, while quite a few russian speakers are actually so annoyed by all that at this point that they just want it to end, because it is incredibly ugly. And I don't mean Medvedeva here, but all the PR + Journalists + FS people such as Tarasova.

Ok, I spoke out. Don't hit me, people.

I don't like Zhenya. I have my russian peeves, but honestly I would probably have gotten over them and would go back to cheering for her, because I admire her determination and hard work. And also because I sort of cheer for a flag and I want "our" athletes to win - the ones that have some ties with Russia. But thank you russian media, thank you "furcoats", your bias is so huge that my balance loving heart wants to get as far on the other side as it can.