2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 196 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Orlov

Medalist
Overall, it is a whole system, sort of a soviet remain, where you would have "base coaches" that would train kids and juniors, and then top coaches who received the promising athletes (this is how Tarasova was getting her first students, for example, this is how CSKA stil tends to operate). The old guard issue is not simply with Eteri's influence - in their minds, she should, lets say, train Zagitova and Medvedeva as juniors, train 3A as juniors, and then pass them on to "actual coaches" to polish and shine. To win medals.

and this is real talk
:thumbsup:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I speak only for myself, but I am a non-Russian fan (Western fan, whatever term you want to use), who tend to focus solely on the merits of the figure skater I follow. I find arguments premised on intrigues, gossip and controversy unpersuasive. So while I acknowledge you effort to educate non-Russian fans about the reasons you don’t like Zhenya, I find that I haven’t missed anything relevant at all :)

:clap:

I care what folks say on Goldenskate. If I have an issue with what someone says on Goldenskate, I quote them, so that they know that I am referring to them. I could not care less what folks say elsewhere, and if I did care, I'd go read it elsewhere.;).

Zhenya fans have followed her when she trained in Russia and they follow her now that she trains in Canada and they love her no matter where she trains. And they want to support her. Good for them, that is how it should be when you love a skater:agree:

And since this is the 2019 season we are talking about, I am so looking forward to that full Shae Lynn program. :love:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I wish that Rusfed would stick to the way they took when they threatened to withdraw Vaitsehovskaya`s accreditation because of her bias.
Overall, it is a whole system, sort of a soviet remain, where you would have "base coaches" that would train kids and juniors, and then top coaches who received the promising athletes (this is how Tarasova was getting her first students, for example, this is how CSKA stil tends to operate). The old guard issue is not simply with Eteri's influence - in their minds, she should, lets say, train Zagitova and Medvedeva as juniors, train 3A as juniors, and then pass them on to "actual coaches" to polish and shine. To win medals.
This system is still supported, as there is a whole bunch of good coaches who grew influential in this system. Its kind of like Tarasova winning a "best commentator" award for her "olympic performance". The same one they had to edit out some parts of it to release it.
Also, there is $$$ in game - Matua's interview is very insightful in that regard, you can clearly see how it was not just a personal medal at stake.
Do you have Matuas interview?

I don't get the outright to stain for Eteri in her Homeland. She is far from perfect as we know but she is also the main reason that Russian figure skating it's not dead as a whole. She has brought the Russian girls to new heights with more great prospects in sight while the other three disciplines flounder in mediocrity or less. EG should be revered not reviled. TAT coached in a time when it was much easier and Russia was alot more dominant then they are now.

prorussian fan

On the Ice
Without eteri, Zhenya would be a more ordinary skater in Russia, let's face it. Eteri was the one who brought Zhenya to greatness.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
No Politics

Keep politics out of your posts.

Trying to reignite the cold war on a skating board is not appropriate. There are literally thousands of places online to discuss politics. This is a skating board. Talk about skating and keep your political opinions to yourselves.

Furthermore, this thread is supposed to be about this year's state of Russian Ladies for the current season. Bringing up last year's drama is off topic.

For those of you who need things distilled:

NO POLITICS
STAY ON TOPIC. THIS SEASON ONLY.

Last edited:

qwerty1195

On the Ice

Trying to reignite the cold war on a skating board is not appropriate. There are literally thousands of places online to discuss politics. This is a skating board. Talk about skating and keep your political opinions to yourselves.

THANK YOUUUUU :drama:

karina17

Final Flight

Furthermore, this thread is supposed to be about this year's state of Russian Ladies for the current season. Bringing up last year's drama is off topic.

For those of you who need things distilled:

NO POLITICS
STAY ON TOPIC. THIS SEASON ONLY.

I left for a few hours and someone tried to restart the Cold War? Very on-brand for this thread. :laugh:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
That's my problem with her interviews. Almost a year ago she said that all her friends are at her new place and that she was very happy in Canada. Now I read that she had a year of struggle and tough adjustments and her friends are in Moscow. But my biggest problem is that such a large and profound interview not to some random guys but to ISU appears now, on July 15. I would understand it much bettter if it would have come out close to New Year when she wins her GP stages, GPF, and tells the world what a long way she had to go since Olympics to regain her former glory. Yes, you could refer it to my "Russian mentality" but I read this interview like "it was hard work for me before and now I have fun". Come on, is this sport about winning medals or about having fun?

Gosh, you’re a stern taskmaster! :)

Seriously, maybe it’s that I’m not Russian (though my mother’s family did emigrate from Russia), but I guess I’m still having a hard time understanding your objections. I really don’t think it’s so strange that Evgenia didn’t admit to her struggles in the beginning, and it seems totally normal to me that she’s open to talking about them now. FYI, the ISU just did a similar article about Vincent Zhou, who also took bronze at Worlds, so I would guess they sought both Evgenia and Vincent out, and not that Evgenia pushed herself forward to get attention.

By the way, I think Evgenia is extremely proud of representing Russia in competition, and that she’s just as serious about winning medals now as she ever was. But people change, and if she feels that she needs a different training environment to succeed now, isn’t it good that she’s found it? Yes, she’s only half way back, yes, she still has lots of work to do and there’s no guarantee she’ll ever win again. But I think her skating looks really beautiful in the clip of her new FS, and I’m really hopeful she’ll succeed.

Azikin

Medalist
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aiitEDnr7dg&feature=youtu.be

Anna Tarusina landed a 4T with a harness and it looks surprisingly promising. Is it certain she‘ll stay juniors? And how likely is she to get two JGP events?

And this is why there should be two separate threads for Russian Ladies' Figure Skating. One for seniors and one for juniors.. especially now that there cannot be any fanfests for girls under 13.. :(

LRK

Record Breaker
Gosh, you’re a stern taskmaster! :)

Seriously, maybe it’s that I’m not Russian (though my mother’s family did emigrate from Russia), but I guess I’m still having a hard time understanding your objections. I really don’t think it’s so strange that Evgenia didn’t admit to her struggles in the beginning, and it seems totally normal to me that she’s open to talking about them now. FYI, the ISU just did a similar article about Vincent Zhou, who also took bronze at Worlds, so I would guess they sought both Evgenia and Vincent out, and not that Evgenia pushed herself forward to get attention.

By the way, I think Evgenia is extremely proud of representing Russia in competition, and that she’s just as serious about winning medals now as she ever was. But people change, and if she feels that she needs a different training environment to succeed now, isn’t it good that she’s found it? Yes, she’s only half way back, yes, she still has lots of work to do and there’s no guarantee she’ll ever win again. But I think her skating looks really beautiful in the clip of her new FS, and I’m really hopeful she’ll succeed.

It's difficult to assess a situation when you are in the middle of it - especially if the situation is a new one. It's easier to look back, having gained perspective, and be objective. What worked, what didn't. Why it didn't. &c.

As a Liza fan - and goodness knows she's had her ups and downs - I always find her interviews very interesting, when she is asked about past seasons, and why something went the way it did. There's this shifting perspective - from the interviews at the time, when she was in the middle of things, trying to figure the situation - and herself - out, and when she is looking back at what was, and what happened, and why. It's very illuminating, I find.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Zhenya fans have followed her when she trained in Russia and they follow her now that she trains in Canada and they love her no matter where she trains. And they want to support her. Good for them, that is how it should be when you love a skater:agree:

Isn't that what it's about? There may be a finite number of medals, but there's more than enough love to go around, why begrudge a heaping to anyone?

(oops sorry, I posted before I saw the modly decree, so have edited)

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
In the meanwhile Sofia Samodurova just announced she’s doing Bamboleo for SP and Roxanne for FS

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
The very same that she did last season. I already see how it will go.
Let's just wait and see, yes the music choices are close to last season's one's. But i really liked her programme last year so yes I am interested in what she does with the music choices this year.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And this is why there should be two separate threads for Russian Ladies' Figure Skating. One for seniors and one for juniors.. especially now that there cannot be any fanfests for girls under 13.. :(

Why can't we have that? There will be so much content for seniors that the juniors will be lost.

ruga

Final Flight
Besides, many girls will be senior eligible and compete in junior GP and senior challengers (Tarusina, Tarakanova, some others probably). I suppose there are not many skaters who would compete only in junior international and domestic events, as many of them are 14 already and can enter Russian nationals for example.