2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 542 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

macy

Record Breaker
Not that we should go into long discussions about gymnastics but just to refresh my memory: "artistic" gymnastics is where both men and women compete and "rhythmic" gymnastics is women only? There is a confusion for us Russians as we name the former "athletic (sport)" gymnastics and the latter "artistic" gymnastics.

yes that is correct. "artistic" is a bit misleading as it's a more fitting term for rhythmic.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Georgya: Probably the same thing happened as happened to romanian sport gymnastic. I remember times when Andrea Raducan was like 14 years old and won gold on Sydney olympics, but when she and girls around her retired, the gold generation simply disappeared. As times changed, kids were not so dedicated to daily ruthless training and werent able to reached same success.

Andreea Raducan turned 17 during the 2000 Olympics. She was born on September 30, 1983.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Not that we should go into long discussions about gymnastics but just to refresh my memory: "artistic" gymnastics is where both men and women compete and "rhythmic" gymnastics is women only? There is a confusion for us Russians as we name the former "athletic (sport)" gymnastics and the latter "artistic" gymnastics.

We call the first one "sport gymnastic" and the latter "modern gymnastic".

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Liza went back to 3T-3T... Ironically, in the video released just a few days ago, she was saying how 3T-3T combo won't fare in the new season anymore..
I wonder why they don't go for Lz-T and solo flip?

SkateSkates

Medalist
Seems like an unnecessary risk to me. If she succeeds with both it will be amazing to see, but I figured they would have learned from JGPF last year.

I wonder if she will have the same strategy as Kamila and Aliona this year - if you land the 1st with a combo, go for the 2nd. If not, backup plan.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Of course it is. This is natural in such a situation. I think there is always plan B and plan C.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Liza went back to 3T-3T... Ironically, in the video released just a few days ago, she was saying how 3T-3T combo won't fare in the new season anymore..
I wonder why they don't go for Lz-T and solo flip?

They must think they can get higher GOE since the judges aren't going high enough for the lutz-toe. I don't think it's a great idea in this field, but after Finlandia maybe they think it's worth a try.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Why is Liza decreasing her tech content? She’s already not getting good scores with an increased content

Maybe factoring in the lost GOE and penalty for "e" her team feels like the risks from trying the flip-toe aren't worth it. Even if she did a lutz-toe, I'm not sure that she can do a 3S or 3Lo out of steps.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
No one can say she isn't trying. It is positively shocking to see how responsive Team Mishin is being to feedback from judges. It makes you wish they had done so long before it got to this point.

If only they had done this in 2018... she could’ve beaten Maria for that 3rd spot :/

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I wonder if she will have the same strategy as Kamila and Aliona this year - if you land the 1st with a combo, go for the 2nd. If not, backup plan.

I'm sure thats the plan. If they have that thinking with Kamila and Aliona, they'll use the same thinking with Anna. That -5 + << + REP that both her and Sasha got (iirc?) at JGPF 2018 really did not do the program well. Plus, starting with two huge falls is not good for the program; It will take away PCS for sure and make her tired for the rest of the routine. That being said, I still think its a better idea to do just one quad lutz, even if she lands the first one. I think she'll win with just one (or at very least be top 2), so I don't think its worth the risk. Plus, while the first quad lutz replaces a 2T making it worth it even if she falls, the second one replaces a triple flip, making it definitely not worth it if she falls. And from what I've seen of this practice, she's been landing the first one and then crashing the second one. If she wants to win/place at the GPF or make the top three at RusNats to make the Worlds team, then the two quad layout might be worth the risk (its probably necessary if she wants to have a good chance of winning GPF or Worlds), but here I don't see any benefits to attempting two. Maybe they want to make sure she beats Liza, but I think her priorities here should be making the GPF, for which she would want to just have a top two placement (a third place would make it really important that she wins CoC). And one quad lutz will definitely get her that. Although I guess one quad lutz + one quad lutz fall could still get her a top two placement anyways.