2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 825 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Of course he was talking about anastasia but I also pointed out that stanislava looked really good in her skate.

What exactly do you mean when you say Gubanova not looking this good this year? Are you talkin about performance or puberty ? She has to start over again with their new coach and new situation and she just scored the most she's ever scored in the short program before even if it was a minor event with high quality skateres. By the way if Nastia makes the top 10 at Russian Nationals that's really good.

I don't know about Gubanova, maybe my expectations are too high. But I think she looks a bit "heavy" on the ice this year, the same as I think for Medvedeva I might add, so it's not that it's a bad thing, it just a...you know...feeling. And you're right, if she makes the top 10 at RusNats that would be a great achievement with all that has happened this year.

Amei

Record Breaker
What is a bigger PR nightmare - Alina skating badly at Nats or not skating at all? And will it really be a PR nightmare? Probably not so bad as long as the 3A sweep the podium again, which they are likely to do.

The only way I see her not skating at Nationals be a PR nightmare is if she WD's from Nationals due to injury and then turns around a couple days after Nationals is over and is skating in Navka's show- its going to fuel the fire that she's not really interested in competing/lacking in motivation. But they can largely stop that from happening by stating her WD is because her injury won't let her jump and then make sure she's not doing any jumps in the show.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't know about Gubanova, maybe my expectations are too high. But I think she looks a bit "heavy" on the ice this year, the same as I think for Medvedeva I might add, so it's not that it's a bad thing, it just a...you know...feeling. And you're right, if she makes the top 10 at RusNats that would be a great achievement with all that has happened this year.

Of course she looks a bit heavy puberty has hit her harder than any girl I can remember. But Nastia still pulled it off her short program is growing on me. I hope she is done with puberty but with Mother Nature you just never know. We have seen too many Russian girls quit at a young age and I do not want this to happen to nastia. She really has to fight for her career now. But we also have to remember she's not getting any real events this year to skate in and her former pretty good in this video even though she doesn't flow and move quite like she used to because of growing up.

For sure making the top 10 would be great for Nastia at Russian Nationals. it will be insanie ust trying to make the top five. Lol.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
The only way I see her not skating at Nationals be a PR nightmare is if she WD's from Nationals due to injury and then turns around a couple days after Nationals is over and is skating in Navka's show- its going to fuel the fire that she's not really interested in competing/lacking in motivation. But they can largely stop that from happening by stating her WD is because her injury won't let her jump and then make sure she's not doing any jumps in the show.

Alina will be at Navka's Show, this is almost guaranteed, unless she gets real bad injury.

I don't want to speculate on her injury condition, Team Tutberidze keeps usual silence, Alina herself didn't even say she was injured (her exact words were "I landed badly") and from RusFed's statement it's impossible to guess if she is still injured, let alone how bad is the injury.

Alina Skipping Nationals wont harm her much (lets be honest here, she isn't beating T-SH-K, while skating her both programs clean and getting 4th place will be huge moral boost for her,in long term, for her it will change nothing), sure her haters are going to start looking for blood, but haters gonna hate.

This situation is vastly different for Team Tutberidze, they swept podium at GPF and... if you read Russian media a bit, I may exaggerating, but it feels like at least, 80% of all newses and discussion is around Alina. Right now, Team Tutberidze is back to pre Worlds conditions, when dominant opinion if FS world (at least, in Russian part of it) was that Eteri and her team was unable to coach grown up girls, to make matters worse even some of the teams devout fans started believing that team doesn't care about Alina(not hard to guess how this story continues... they didn't care about Med, and Yulia before that) who for them is 'expired material' while they have fresh guns who are getting medals.

It was Alina winning gold that caused it all to stop and IMO, PR situation was big part why (by Alina's own admission) coaches did everything to encourage her against dropping out. Eteri needs Alina to do good (or at least, somewhat okay) at Nats and unless injury is serious she will do everything she can to motivate her to compete.
In this situation,IMO, Alina competing and doing bad is better for TeamTut than Alina missing out Nats at all, missing it out will funnel even more rumors and questions, which won't be answered (and even if Eteri wished to break silence about it(which I doubt, if she wanted, she would by now)) for a long time.

P.S Eteri cares what people think of her, especially what FS fans think of her, she definitely isn't 'think whatever you want, I have a job to do' type,she just thinks answering with her student's achievements is the best PR move she can make (and she isn't wrong).

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
... she's not really interested in competing/lacking in motivation...

Alina's teammate sees it completely differently. From Darya Usachyova's interview to gazeta.ru:

- Who impresses you the most in your team?⠀
- I always admired Alina Zagitova even when I was not in the Tutberidze group. Her hard work, perseverance, the fact that she never gives up and continues to work ...
...And no matter how hard it is, Alina always leaves the training only after a perfect skate. There wasn’t such a time that she refused to do something or was lazy. She is always hardworking, and her confidence and motivation amaze me.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope we get to see videos from Russian Nats. It may be the last time we get to see Liza and Evgenia skate competitively this season or perhaps, gulp ever. will we ever see Leonova skate competitively again? I didn't think she was that bd but they don't send her for anything. I can only imagine the frustration a skater like Alina must be going through. You are good and maybe even more artistic but tes is worth so much more you are no longer almost relevant. In the 6.0 days they could balance out the scores; now it is hard. A skater like Michelle Kwan may not have and didn't fair so well with IJS.

so proud of all the russian ladies fighting the good fight.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
I doubt Liza is going anywhere even if she fails to win medal at Nationals.

P.S Team Zagitova seems to be either trolling Eteri's Sister or figure skating fans , or both :biggrin:

DenissVFan

Medalist
I hope we get to see videos from Russian Nats. It may be the last time we get to see Liza and Evgenia skate competitively this season or perhaps, gulp ever.

Liza and Zhenya both said they wanted to continue and they should easily get 2 GP spots each next year.

katymay

Medalist

Agree. And if she needs to take some time off to pursue other things, and maybe decide if she wants to return to the grind of training (and making a run at the Olympic team) -well now would be a good time to take a needed break, take a step back and evaluate what she wants for the future. Not to mention allowing injuries to heal.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
WTH? Why Sam why?

I cannot apply "angel" to her skating anymore. Yes, puberty hurts. On the other hand, Samodurova looked not that good at test skates. However, just in a couple of months at least visually she is back to her usual self. It means that one can work on puberty. Nastya still has beautiful arms. Everything else in my eyes is going south.