2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 959 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

McBibus

On the Ice
There is no connection here. mix different things.
The difference in TEC can be even twofold or more, it really exists. So what? What balance can there be?
If you want to see the triumph of beautiful ice skating over ugly Ultra C programs - make the PC factor for lady 2.0 instead of 0.8. And soon no one will bother you with quadruple jumps.

jumps are not ugly as beautiful skating is not boring.
I want balance, conscious that the definition of balance is different between each one of us, so I want something who pushes skater to work all aroung starting from they're weak points.
I'm also conscious that the evaluation of PCS is
a) unsatisfying because we have 5 categories but the vote for a single skaters seems to be little adjustements over a base PCS "global" vote (like 8.5. 8.25. 8.75, 8.5, 9.0)
b) they're exposed to manipulation and the past of ISU is not crystal clear. You can manipulate GOE too of course but it will become clear as we could all review the single elements.

TES difference between 1st and 5th/6that the EU will probably be more I agree, but that does not bother me. It's ok because of the actual difference in skills.
Likewyse I would not consider outrageous or fictional a difference of 15 PCS points between the 1st and the 5th/6th PCS score: it's just 6% of the total score.
PCS multiplyer should be paired with men since ladies TES is now comparable to men's (Sasha's program could be a top men program)

McBibus

On the Ice

Ban on Quadruples

Probably best to takle this after next olympics.
(well I don't care so much about Olympics but any long term program seems to revolve around it and we are halfway already. Rules shouls be stable)

Age Qualification

In Italy we say: "To close the barn after the cows got out"
Non sense.

New Division of Programs

Good idea to kill figure skating for good :dumb:
I think that SP and FS should be different to make both days interesting, but that's a terrible idea.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Kuznetsov compares Zhenya and Alina with old models of iPhones.

Utterly charming. :rolleye: People like this really don‘t deserve these two girls.

Funnily enough, I like the old model of my iPhone, have had it for quite a while now and wouldn‘t trade it for any new one. Maybe that‘s why I‘m the same with skaters, as strange as this awful comparison even sounds. I don‘t need a new, shining star every year, as much of an “upgraded“ version they might be to some people. Personally, I don’t follow skaters just because they’re winning. In fact, cheering for someone throughout their journey - hardships as well as triumphs - is what being a fan (no matter how excruciating and nerve-racking it can be lol) is all about for me. :)

Orlov

Medalist
I think there is an equally strong argument the “biggest language” of figure skating is Japanese.

The population of Japan is about 125 million people. The number of post-Soviet countries (where Russian is understood) is about 300 million people. And this is not counting the fact that there are many Russian coaches and athletes outside the post-Soviet countries - Stepa Gogolev, Lesha Krasnozhon, Andrey Torgashov, Iliya Kovler, Maxim Naumov, Ilia Malinin, Vadim Kolesnik, all, without exception, the Israeli national team - they all understand and speak Russian.

But this is only a remark. In general, I agree with you. I don't know why Albus is pushing his trolling with the insistence of a rhinoceros. It is obvious that English is a common language of international communication. It is also relatively simple. For me it would be very difficult if everyone suddenly switched to complex Japanese, for example (I suppose Russian is not easy for you either).

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Utterly charming. :rolleye: People like this really don‘t deserve these two girls.

Funnily enough, I like the old model of my iPhone, have had it for quite a while now and wouldn‘t trade it for any new one. Maybe that‘s why I‘m the same with skaters, as strange as this awful comparison even sounds. I don‘t need a new, shining star every year, as much of an “upgraded“ version they might be to some people. Personally, I don’t follow skaters just because they’re winning. In fact, cheering for someone throughout their journey - hardships as well as triumphs - is what being a fan (no matter how excruciating and nerve-racking it can be lol) is all about for me. :)

This Kuznetsov has a reputation, sorts of. Not to be taken that seriously, since this is only a podcast.

Time will tell which of these audiovisual e-media will come out best in originality, objectivity and actual content.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It doesn't 'resemble a hangar', it is one :) A temp skating rink in the rural area, 14 km from downtown Graz in the potato(?) fields, with a beautiful dirt road leading to it
Road to the Euro2020 and the modern facilities themselves :laugh:

Maybe it was the "great" interest that the Austrian govt & Fed showed in holding the EC (although they could not convince the local ice hockey team to share their rink for the time being and had to move to the countryside) :)

Minsk EC seems to have been held on another planet.

Well, it seems like this hangar has won the competition for the ugliest ice arena all around the world including Zimbabwe and someone just mistook it with the decision about where the Euros should take place.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Well, it seems like this hangar has won the competition for the ugliest ice arena all around the world including Zimbabwe and someone just mistook it with the decision about where the Euros sould take place.

The athletes should worry about the ice conditions first and foremost. Without a/c everything can happen when the tent gets crowded. The weather forecast is a stable 5-8 Celsius during the day, and -3 during the night, so the ice machines will have to work.

RE: ISU is International Skating Union as registered, so I think English is their official language. Many, if not most of those international governing bodies that reside in Lausanne have their call sign in French, and have French as their official language, ie. FIG, UEG, but of course have professional translators for all the main languages.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
The athletes should worry about the ice conditions first and foremost. Without a/c everything can happen when the tent gets crowded. The weather forecast is a stable 5-8 Celsius during the day, and -3 during the night, so the ice machines will have to work.

RE: ISU is International Skating Union as registered, so I think English is their official language. Many, if not most of those international governing bodies that reside in Lausanne have their call sign in French, and have French as their official language, ie. FIG, UEG, but of course have professional translators for all the main languages.

That's what's in my mind as well. What about supportive facilities, places for warm-ups, changing rooms, logstic etc. Maybe I'm judging too harsh but from the pictures it looks so utterly primitive for such event that I wouldn't believe.

BTW in the description there is written:

Arena EC - a tent that is located 14 km from the center of Graz. The path to it runs through puddles and fields. They wanted to hold the tournament elsewhere, but the local hockey team was against it) Now, remember what happened in Minsk a year ago.

I must admit I don't know what happened in Minsk a year ago (apart from the results of course :) ). Does anybody know?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
That's what's in my mind as well. What about supportive facilities, places for warm-ups, changing rooms, logstic etc. Maybe I'm judging too harsh but from the pictures it looks so utterly primitive for such event that I wouldn't believe.

BTW in the description there is written:

Arena EC - a tent that is located 14 km from the center of Graz. The path to it runs through puddles and fields. They wanted to hold the tournament elsewhere, but the local hockey team was against it) Now, remember what happened in Minsk a year ago.

I must admit I don't know what happened in Minsk a year ago (apart from the results of course :) ). Does anybody know?

Minsk was perfectly organised and executed? At least so it looked to me. Biggest arena in town, fully booked, lots of attention given to the event all over the city, etc etc.

Here the organisation seems only so-so (at least the venue) but one supposes AUT fed and the LOC will do everything possible to make the skaters, judges and officials comfortable. And try to leave a good impression on TV.

Wether they really care about the paying audience is another matter. Hopefully no bratwurst, beer and gluhwein concessions inside the tent, though given the cold and spartan seating I think many a spectator will need some nourishement to sustain him/herself during the long competition rounds.

The local hockey club not giving way to this important event is beyond my comprehension. Graz city council has no power of persuasion or stronger means to put the city on the map of figure skating??

We'll have to wait and see how it goes, looks on TV, and what the lucky members of our community in attendance will tell.

For the skaters perfect ice conditions is the most important.

ISU's European commissioners could learn a few lessons here.

Fluture

Record Breaker
The local hockey club not giving way to this important event is beyond my comprehension.

Well, it‘s beyond my comprehension as well but figure skating‘s not popular at all in Austria, people in my town literally have no idea there‘s even a European Championship going on this weekend. I don‘t live in Graz so I don’t know what this arena looks like but as far as I was aware, it‘s usually a venue for galas and concerts and stuff like that - so not a rink. Apparently it has hosted a major sports event with about 10000 spectators before - a tennis competition, though, not figure skating at all. It‘s also supposed to be next to a lake but maybe potato fields are near as well. I guess I‘ll find out, one way or another. :laugh:

Skate Austria on Instagram has some short videos and pictures of skaters warming up from today and it looks alright. I‘ll know more on Thursday.

https://instagram.com/skateaustria?igshid=1u6vlpym565n6

Albus

Match Penalty
I think there is an equally strong argument the “biggest language” of figure skating is Japanese. If RusFed wants to quit the ISU, I think that would be short sighted, but that’s up to them. The languages of the ISU, however, will not change.

The most important language of course is the one that the skaters, who respect and admire each other regardless of titles or nationalities, speak on the ice.:)

Aaaaand this is...... Russian!
The language of isu will change to Russian, not only isu however. It is progressive in the modern world. When fs becomes more popular, less people want to hear the language of genocide of their ancestors. And rightfully so. It is impossible to respect people from Asia and Africa and climb into the crowd with English without even ask a permission to do so. Totally disgusting and disrespectful. Thank God it is impossible in Moscow, where I live. If only every city in Europe could be equally progressive

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
whole post

You are right about population of course, and Russian and Japanese would be indeed complex for me. English is a relatively simple written language.

And we in the US are extraordinarily grateful for all our wonderful skaters of Russian descent. I adore Andrew T. and even started his FF. :luv17:And I have heard him speaking Russian (to Alex K, actually) with my own ears, so yes I know he speaks Russian.

And now I will leave this very much off topic;)

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Aaaaand this is...... Russian!
The language of isu will change to Russian, not only isu however. It is progressive in the modern world. When fs becomes more popular, less people want to hear the language of genocide of their ancestors. And rightfully so. It is impossible to respect people from Asia and Africa and climb into the crowd with English without even ask a permission to do so. Totally disgusting and disrespectful. Thank God it is impossible in Moscow, where I live. If only every city in Europe could be equally progressive
Eye,,,,,honestly this doesn't even make any sense at all

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Minsk was perfectly organised and executed? At least so it looked to me. Biggest arena in town, fully booked, lots of attention given to the event all over the city, etc etc.

Nothing happened there - the author just mentioned Minsk as a comparison.

That's how I saw Minsk as well, so good it is meant this way.

Here the organisation seems only so-so (at least the venue) but one supposes AUT fed and the LOC will do everything possible to make the skaters, judges and officials comfortable. And try to leave a good impression on TV.

I would not put money on that. We have some long-term experience with the Austrians... Can't they make some last minute switching of countries? It's near and we have many great ice rinks.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I would not put money on that. We have some long-term experience with the Austrians... Can't they make some last minute switching of countries? It's near and we have many great ice rinks.

Er, you‘re aware you‘re being totally disrespectful right now, no?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I must say that I am very surprised that ISU lets a city like Graz get to host a major championship when they didn't even have a proper rink to have it in?

I would think that having a rink would be one of the conditions to get to host it in the first place.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I must say that I am very surprised that ISU lets a city like Graz get to host a major championship when they didn't even have a proper rink to have it in?

I would think that having a rink would be one of the conditions to get to host it in the first place.

Graz has a rink, it‘s just used for some hockey competition. Don‘t ask me why they didn‘t know this earlier, though, because I have no idea. Not a good look for the Austrian fed at all.

But it‘s not like Graz is some kind of village only consisting of potato fields either... :slink: