2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

katymay

Medalist
It will be very interesting to see how the international judges evaluate her. Frankly, I just don't see a program like this losing to anyone except possibly Valieva. She looks MUCH better than her last competition. She's ready to go!

I don't think anyone will beat Liu this year. Next year is a different story, as there are a few Russian 12 year olds who have the same skill level as Alysa. (3A's and quads)

ec00834

On the Ice
I don't think anyone will beat Liu this year. Next year is a different story, as there are a few Russian 12 year olds who have the same skill level as Alysa. (3A's and quads)

It depends on whether she lands her 3A or quad. Same with Valieva

mathlike

On the Ice
I'm a total Russian ladies' addict, but I'm speechless after watching Alysa's performance.

The way she executes the most difficult jumps is impressive - there is zero fear, zero uncertainty, zero doubt. Just smile, abandon and youth fantasy. Wonderful thing to watch. :clapper:
Her rivalry with Kamila Valieva will become legendary! :popcorn:

theharleyquinn

Medalist

Alysa has weaker skating skills and fewer transitions, so we'll see. The GOE will matter too. I don't think it's a done deal.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Alysa has weaker skating skills and fewer transitions, so we'll see. The GOE will matter too. I don't think it's a done deal.

Alysa’s skating skills and overall artistic impression have notably improved though, even since the Broadmoor Open, and most certainly since 2019 US Nationals. They are not as strong as Valieva’s yet, but the gap is closing.

Her triple axel looks more solid, too. The quad lutz will likely get an UR in Lake Placid, I think, but it will still grab a lot of points. If Alysa keeps this up, I think there is a very good shot she will capture her second US title in January.

frida80

Record Breaker

In juniors it doesn’t matter as much as you think. Valieva’s PCS will likely be capped at 8s because they avoid giving juniors the same PCS scores as seniors. Alysa will likely get 7-7.5 in her PCS scores, just based on her performance abilities. Although she won’t get many GoE on her jumps, the triple axels will close the gap fast. Even a 4Lz< is still 9.6. I think it’s going to be an interesting season.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Is Mirai planning a comeback? She really looks great.
i believe yes. Its great to see her skating again. Cant wait to see her in Japan Open!! Im wondering if she will try to qualify at nats this year or only start actually competing next season?

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Mirai's FS was stunning. Seriously. I think this is the best I've ever seen Mirai choreographically and artistically... I'm so impressed and surprised

natsulian

Final Flight
Imagine Mirai coming back to the competitive scene next season. Mirai's one of those people whom I see competing even casually until she's 30+.

frida80

Record Breaker
Mirai's FS was stunning. Seriously. I think this is the best I've ever seen Mirai choreographically and artistically... I'm so impressed and surprised

It’s definitely an improvement. Maybe because the pressure is off she can now skate just for herself.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Megan Wessenberg also is at Champs Camp right now -- as seen in the "class photo" posted by @the.cains.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1kmmdeH_vU/ (Aug 24; see third photo)​

I have not seen any official announcement that USFS has assigned Amber to Skate America.

OMG, really??!! I had no idea! Maybe they’re gonna make Amber and Megan do a Skate-off and then determine who gets the SA spot? That’s exciting.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Wow Mirai could really put up a fight during Nationals (if she goes) after some more training! I think all her post-Olympic experiences have given her more confidence and that really translates in her performance quality too.

About Alysa, 4lz was not rotated, but even with the < or << it will still garner massive points AND she can fit another 3lz in her program -- she's also pretty consistent about at least landing it without falling. GOE may not be +4/+5, but they should be positive at the very least. Kamila has the GOE's on everything, but she will need to be more consistent than what she showed at Courchevel to challenge the TES monster (Alysa). This is looking to be a Kostornaia vs Trusova rivalry, with the scales tipped more in Alysa's favor. The US fed is surely pushing Alysa as much as they can, and if she can land her jumps, the PCS will follow.

Long-term wise though, I do hope they work on her speed and better technique without relying only on rotation speed. We will have to wait and see if she can hold on until 2022 Olympics.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
OMG, really??!! I had no idea! Maybe they’re gonna make Amber and Megan do a Skate-off and then determine who gets the SA spot? That’s exciting.

It seems likely that is the deal. (Technically, Starr could be involved too as she currently has only one event).

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I watched Alysa Liu yesterday and she impressed me. Based on previous readings I expected her to be a slow moving jumping bean with little artistry. On the contrary, she was quite expressive, her spins are of good quality. And, of course, her jumps are very stable, both 3A and 4Lz. There are 2 areas for improvement: she has fewer transitions than top Russian girls and her jump entries are slow so that she manages to deliver because of the insane rotational speed. Still, unless she URs those two things will hardly negatively affect her scores which might be well in 220+ area.

All in all, she looks like a formidable competitior this junior season.

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa is already in Lake Placid judging by her Instagram. The video of her Free Program has garnered over 100,000 views across all official accounts and she’s been interviewed by not only NBC but other news organizations. Best of luck to her as she competes in her first Junior Grand Prix event.

I hope she can handle the hype train because with the exposure of her to not just the skating community after the Aurora Games, the pressure is going to continue to increase. Please US Fed, let her mature and grow without hyping her up as the “next Olympic gold medalist”. And if you’re going to hype her up, hype her up as ALYSA LIU and don’t compare her to the Russians or Japanese or past medalists like Kwan. Alysa’s her own person and she doesn’t need the added burden of living up to the past.

About Mirai -- IMHO she's got to be considering a return to competition. She is not working that hard just for the health benefits of exercise. :yes: