2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

natsulian

Final Flight
Tom started liking posts about Mirai coming back for 2020 Nationals. I know it’s quite far fetched to think she’ll come back at Nationals next year, but one does not simply train 3-3s and 3Lz’s for daily exercise purposes. If she does well at Japan Open and finds it in herself to compete at a high level once more, I think Mirai could be gunning for a trip to Nationals.

frida80

Record Breaker
Tom started liking posts about Mirai coming back for 2020 Nationals. I know it’s quite far fetched to think she’ll come back at Nationals next year, but one does not simply train 3-3s and 3Lz’s for daily exercise purposes. If she does well at Japan Open and finds it in herself to compete at a high level once more, I think Mirai could be gunning for a trip to Nationals.

Maybe next season. But this season she’s probably just testing her body out it’s only a year after surgery and she still would have to adjust to the new rules. But I’m very happy with her progress. If she can get her 3F+3T back, there’s no harm in a GP season. If she gets her 3A back though... that’s a completely different story.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai blew out her hip and all that 3a practice may have contributed to the damage. It's questionable whether she should go that route again.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I doubt that is fans will get access to the skate-off between Megan, Amber, and Starr, but wouldn’t it be cool if we did? All usfsa would have to do is bus in a few high school students and make flyers advertising a quick , free event that decides who gets the coveted GP assignment. Then, whoever delivers the best performance under the pressure of a large crowd....well, they receive the SA host spot.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt that is fans will get access to the skate-off between Megan, Amber, and Starr, but wouldn’t it be cool if we did? All usfsa would have to do is bus in a few high school students and make flyers advertising a quick , free event that decides who gets the coveted GP assignment. Then, whoever delivers the best performance under the pressure of a large crowd....well, they receive the SA host spot.

If USFS wanted winner take all public skates to decide the spot, they’d use a summer comp:laugh:

I have never been to Champs Camp, but I highly doubt that it’s a skate off to the death;) it’s an evaluation. And although I always like to see more skating, in this case, I’m perfectly happy not to. Let them observe and decide. :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At Champs Camp, USFS reviews skaters' programs and sometimes strongly recommends changes.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At Champs Camp, USFS reviews skaters' programs and sometimes strongly recommends changes.

Yes, in one instance Jason changed his entire program to something different based on Champs Camp feedback. And in another instance, held strong despite Champs Camp feedback.

And if he or Kori hadn’t told us, we’d never know;)

Shani

On the Ice
USFS usually doesn't release the TBD slot info until the very last moment if there is a doubt about who will get it. Starr and Megan haven't had great summer results. Amber is beautiful skater when on but folds under long program pressure. She has the best summer results. Mirai just had amazingly good skates at the Aurora event, and looks the most competitively ready of them all. I wouldn't rule out Mirai getting the Skate America slot and getting a bye on regionals.

andromache

Record Breaker
About Mirai -- IMHO she's got to be considering a return to competition. She is not working that hard just for the health benefits of exercise. :yes:

On TSL, Dave brought up the possibility that if Mirai is NOT considering returning to competition, then it's at least very beneficial for your future show career to appear at events like this looking great. US shows like SOI aren't really moneymakers, but if she can be invited to do shows in Asia, that would probably be ideal. And if you look great, you're more likely to get more show offers.

Whereas Ashley might be almost done show skating (as suggested by Dave), because she physically just looks about done.

Anyway, I have been in Camp No Way Mirai is Returning to Competition ever since the Olympics, but now I'm coming around to the idea that we might see her at Skate America and/or Nationals again. If she wanted the GP slot, I think it would be hers.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
On TSL, Dave brought up the possibility that if Mirai is NOT considering returning to competition, then it's at least very beneficial for your future show career to appear at events like this looking great. US shows like SOI aren't really moneymakers, but if she can be invited to do shows in Asia, that would probably be ideal. And if you look great, you're more likely to get more show offers.

Whereas Ashley might be almost done show skating (as suggested by Dave), because she physically just looks about done.

Anyway, I have been in Camp No Way Mirai is Returning to Competition ever since the Olympics, but now I'm coming around to the idea that we might see her at Skate America and/or Nationals again. If she wanted the GP slot, I think it would be hers.

Agreed. Mirai very well could be going for the retirement at Nationals but it may be in her best interest to just skate in shows and not market yourself as a "retired skater." With shows making a bit of a comeback, I think more skaters may be doing this (like Carolina).

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I've always like Mirai. Never been a huge fan of her programs but I've always been a fan regardless. But this new FS is probably the best program I've seen during off season. I think everyone should go watch it again... it's wonderful. Perhaps doing Japan Open, Skate America, and Nationals (and perhaps 4CC depending on who wants to go/if the main team doesn't want to) could be a good route for her. She could absolutely get some hype on her side being the "older" "more artistic" skater out there and line up more opportunities for her future without trying to be seriously competitive. Of course, this is just selfishly what I want, because I love her new programs so much.