2019 Europeans Pairs Free Skate | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2019 Europeans Pairs Free Skate

CherylDee

On the Ice
Country
United-States
GOE on those side by side jumps is just :palmf:

:eek:topic: Apologies everyone, but btw Jammers, I've been so dying to ask: Are you the same "Jammers" that ran a Trek board many many many many many moons ago? Wonderfully guy as I remember. ;)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Say whatever you want, France has cool anthem:
Aux armes, citoyens,
Formez vos bataillons,
Marchons, marchons!
Qu'un sang impur
Abreuve nos sillons!

Yeah, I love Marseilleuse (?) :love:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
lol J/C are great but that's BS.

Why do you think its a BS? S/H best ever total score is less than 10 points higher than this. J/C basically score 150+ today (without that -1 deduction because of finishing after the music) and that with Vanessa shaky SBS jumps landings and one element less performed... I was saying that both S/H and T/M must be 100% clean if they want to beat them (or to perform quad twist at least)... After all, we will see how all 3 teams will compete at Worlds. Just remember what i said ;)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do wonder if J/C will be one of those transitional champions that happen so often in the first year after an Olympics. It does seem like a lot of the time post Olympics that the following season the teams and skaters who win Worlds are often not a factor by the time of the next Olympics. New teams and singles skaters rise up and improve and pass up those World champions who perhaps won because the field as is the case many times in a post Olympic year is not as deep but couldn't keep up with the improving younger skaters over the next 3 years.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
J/C have that raw emotional power, S/H have finesse and depth, T/M have great SS and big elements. It's going to be interesting at Worlds, and I'd just like a good competition with great performances. Personally S/H's new SP is just okay, and I'll have to see their FS performed to have opinions, but S/H are S/H and they draw you in by sheer quality so (shrugs) Ah well, P/J have their lovely Ophelia SP for me to love anyway :laugh:

Now I'm just going to be happy for Sasha and Mitya and go to bed, thank you to everyone for keeping me company for a lovely late-night figure skating watching session. :thank:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:eek:topic: Apologies everyone, but btw Jammers, I've been so dying to ask: Are you the same "Jammers" that ran a Trek board many many many many many moons ago? Wonderfully guy as I remember. ;)

Nope not the same Jammers but just as wonderful. :)

LaArdilla

Medalist
So glad I came home in time for the last group! So happy for Morgan and Vanessa and my babies Sasha and Dmitrii!

rachno2

Record Breaker
I watched the top 4:

B/K—I was rewatching Mishkutenok and Dmitriev’s 1992 Oly FS last night, and Moskvina really is the gold standard for uniting classic Russian synchronization with innovative pair tricks. I can’t wait to see what she does with Boikova and Kozlovskii. Sasha just radiates joy in the lifts, and that first throw jump was the smoothest of the event. I honestly think they could be World medalists as soon as next season. But where was my dramatic Kozlovskii reaction?

D-M/G—The bronze was right there for them, but they just made too many mistakes. I’m not sure why I find them so boring. It could be the programs, but I can’t think of anything I would want them to skate to, and their short and free are completely different styles. Maybe they just lack chemistry?

J/C—I can’t believe Vanessa still has the sparkle thong pants, and might win a World title in them. :laugh: That actually is a crucial key to their success, I think: their unabashed self-confidence in who they are. What they lack in SS and big pair elements they make up for by presenting themselves as the favorites in every competition they enter, and that program is the perfect vehicle for them to do so. And let’s give credit where credit is due: the transitions and lifts are terrific, and she got so low on that death spiral! I love S/H, but I have to agree that J/C are the ones to beat right now, based on momentum and packaging.

T/M—This was better than people are giving them credit for. I agree there is no emoting (it was especially apparent here.....they and their team seemed tense and angry?), but their pair elements really are spectacular, and I thought the first minute especially was magical. Hopefully as they get more comfortable with Trankov they can find the right program to show their strengths and make a statement, like J/C’s. Even Rach no 2 wasn't clicking yesterday.

pesto

On the Ice
Quota European 2020

3: France - Italy - Russia
2: Croatia - Germany - Spain - Great Britain

LOL, here's a bonus just for taking part.

Quick, convert some singles skaters into pairs, so the lucky nations can make use of these spots.

bobbob

Medalist
Why do J/C get time violation every time?

I think S/H look like heavy favorites for worlds. J/C just aren't going to do it with their skating skills right now--S/H can afford to do double salchows and come out on top.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Oh, I think S/H are the best quality pair team right now, even just from their practice videos. I do wonder, though, since J/C have built up all this momentum to win at Worlds, whereas S/H haven’t competed yet. Hope they slay at 4CCs so we have a good battle, because T/M don’t look like convincing opponents.

I prefer S/H, but if I were to bet on who would win Worlds, I think J/C might have the edge now. Titles mean a lot, and they are going in with Grand Prix Final and Euros.

Titles means a lot, I agree. But remember when Weaver/Poje won both GPF and 4CC only to end up third in Worlds? And it's not like they made some big mistake either. And S/H might still win 4CC as well. If they compete of course, we still don't know if Sui will be healthy enough...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I can't shake the feel of certain indifference and moving through the motions about Evgenia and Vladimir this season. When they hit elements, they are amazing and we appreciate that, but overall I sense no connection whatsoever with the moment, music, each other. It all feels a bit forced and disconnected. They put up an effort, but it just doesn’t seem effortless in the final effect - I wonder why pair so talented, skilled looks lost and confused at places. I really wish they figure out an aesthetic, a signature program to hear the music and think 'Oh yes, this is them, an amazing pair', 'Oh this is their music/THAT program'. I just feel they are somewhere in between this season, in the shadow of French, but also in their own shadow I think - it is not that silver is bad, that their performances were bad; it is more about that indifferent state that is concerning, having tools, but not making the most of them.

oly2018

Final Flight
I can't shake the feel of certain indifference and moving through the motions about Evgenia and Vladimir this season. When they hit elements, they are amazing and we appreciate that, but overall I sense no connection whatsoever with the moment, music, each other. It all feels a bit forced and disconnected. They put up an effort, but it just doesn’t seem effortless in the final effect - I wonder why pair so talented, skilled looks lost and confused at places. I really wish they figure out an aesthetic, a signature program to hear the music and think 'Oh yes, this is them, an amazing pair', 'Oh this is their music/THAT program'. I just feel they are somewhere in between this season, in the shadow of French, but also in their own shadow I think - it is not that silver is bad, that their performances were bad; it is more about that indifferent state that is concerning, having tools, but not making the most of them.

I 100% agree with you. They just seem like they are going through the (very impressive) motions. They were never a team known for their on ice connection, but even in the kc things look tense and disconnected. I don't know what they need, but with so many Russian pairs in the wings, they need to figure it out fast.

bobbob

Medalist
I love S/H, but I have to agree that J/C are the ones to beat right now, purely based on momentum and packaging.

Remember Sui/Han last season's WORST long program was better than James/Cipres's best this year by quite a few points. I think that is true for the short as well. The scores that James/Cipres are getting would be considered disappointing for Sui/Han. I cannot envision Sui/Han getting the same PCS as James/Cipres, it will be higher for sure.

Sui/Han's performance will be solely dependent on their ability to hit SBS jumps. If they do reasonably on them, J/C cannot catch them.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

They need to emote and project more especially with their faces. I think acting class would help (or some tips from Ashley and Zhenya even) :biggrin: I also think that Vladimir natural face expression is not that suitable for projecting (i can explain why only via PM :laugh:). And the fact they are always skating with too much pressure to win doesn't help either. They need to be (or at least to look) more relaxed. Working on those two things will be more than enough to give a feel of a better performance and better connection with the music/audience/themselves! That has nothing to do with the right aesthetic or a program (at least not for a Figure Skating judging process), you just need to train to express yourself more while performing!

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Aside the 3rd and 4th positions, about imho anyone can see it in a way or another, and say biased opinions about it, i think we have see some good performances and clear results. Just... really, we need more european pairs, or isn't going to be a competition at all, on the next seasons.

Italy now have also Hotarek as a pairs coach. I hope someone will accomplish to gain the required TES, next time.