2019 Four Continents: Ladies' Pregame Chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents: Ladies' Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheetz

Record Breaker
It's possible that Eunsoo and Mariah could benefit from the competition being in their backyard. They won't be suffering from jetlag and can even sleep in their own beds.

georgia

On the Ice
W
I feel like Mariah would benefit on having an "easier" tech content but of high quality. She has a nice 3T when she's on so doing a 3T-3T for the SP would be a good idea to consider.
Funny. That’s what I told my roommate at Nationals!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So we are pretty much expecting a Japanese podium, right...?

1. Well I wouldn't be surprised to see Bradie or Mariah on the podium. It is on US soil as well - think Boston. This is a great chance for some skaters we might not see at worlds to get some international experience ie 2 Aussies and 2 HK.
2. This will be also good experience for some skaters who are on the verge of making the world team.
3. I am concerned for Canada. Happy who gets to go but I still hope Gabby gets well and goes to the worlds. Granted the three ladies could do fairly well here but I wouldn't feel that confident with any of them considering their performances over the last year not just season have been less than stellar by any standards - ie the top Canadian who went to the Olympics and Worlds who is skating now didn't qualify twice for the free skate and it is not like she has in the past ie Nam.
4. really interested to see Rika against Satoko against Bradie and if Mariah will try to get in the battle along with Mai (I am surprised Japan did not send Kaori. Darkhorse Cui though I would love to see a huge comeback from Alaine.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Agreed.

I'm expecting this to go Rika>Kaori>Mai.
Although Mai is one the most consistent Japanese, she tends to be arguably underscored in PCS so I'd say she would be the one to drop off the podium if other skater(probably Bradie or Eunsoo) skates lights out.
Rika is not exactly safe either, as we seen in Japan Nats, a clean Kaori could win over an unclean Rika. This will be a very interesting competition. :love:
I'm curious to see how Eunsoo will do, she wasn't perfect in Korea. :confused:
Bradie has a good chance for the podium if perfectly clean. :think:
I'm expecting Mariah to be top 6, but not very high, although her skating this season is really great, she just doesn't have all the levels and jumps sorted out it seems.

I forget about Ms. Lim -she too is a threat. THe odds are like what happened with Russia at Europeans ne of the skaters will mess up. But Japan's ladies are stronger and more consistent so there is a better chance for a sweep - though to balance that there are better skaters (sorry Switzerland, Finland et al) at 4 Continents.

I am so curious if anyone knows does this mean Gabby won't go to worlds or is it up to her as some earlier posts suggests.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Well I wouldn't be surprised to see Bradie or Mariah on the podium. It is on US soil as well - think Boston. This is a great chance for some skaters we might not see at worlds to get some international experience ie 2 Aussies and 2 HK.
2. This will be also good experience for some skaters who are on the verge of making the world team.
3. I am concerned for Canada. Happy who gets to go but I still hope Gabby gets well and goes to the worlds. Granted the three ladies could do fairly well here but I wouldn't feel that confident with any of them considering their performances over the last year not just season have been less than stellar by any standards - ie the top Canadian who went to the Olympics and Worlds who is skating now didn't qualify twice for the free skate and it is not like she has in the past ie Nam.
4. really interested to see Rika against Satoko against Bradie and if Mariah will try to get in the battle along with Mai (I am surprised Japan did not send Kaori. Darkhorse Cui though I would love to see a huge comeback from Alaine.

Kaori is going to 4CC not Satoko.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

1. Skate America was also on US soil, but Bradie was off the podium. I see your point though, plus Bradie and Mariah could end up medalling if they have near-perfect skates.

4. They did send Kaori, as she is the national champion. Satoko is not at 4CC but she will be at worlds in Saitama. :)

Personally I would love to see Mai reclaim the 4CC title but we'll see how everyone skates!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Controversial but I’d be surprised if Tennell is off the podium and if Eunsoo Lim is any lower than 4th.

If I were betting it wouldn’t be on a Japanese sweep. However yeah it’s Rika’s to lose.

temadd

Final Flight
It's possible that Eunsoo and Mariah could benefit from the competition being in their backyard. They won't be suffering from jetlag and can even sleep in their own beds.

It will be a plus for them, but Kaori Sakamoto didn't seem to have much trouble with jet lag at Skate America and GP Finals in Vancouver.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I want Eunsoo to medal so badly... but I think it will be a Japanese sweep.

EunsooLims

Rinkside
A japanese sweep is very possible. Personally I have no attachment to anyone in this particular competition other than Eunsoo, Kaori and Yelim, so those are the girls ill be cheering for

bobbob

Medalist
I think if Bradie or Mariah or Ting skate decently (as clean as any of the Japanese), they will get a medal, likely bronze. The judges generally hate sweeps, especially something like a Japanese sweep on American soil when the Americans skate decently. Expect Bradie and Mariah to get higher PCS than Mai.

skatenewbie

Medalist
I think if Bradie or Mariah or Ting skate decently (as clean as any of the Japanese), they will get a medal, likely bronze. The judges generally hate sweeps, especially something like a Japanese sweep on American soil when the Americans skate decently. Expect Bradie and Mariah to get higher PCS than Mai.
if clean Bradie/Mariah/Ting/Eunsoo could medal for sure, even Tursynbaeva has chance. But they haven't put out 2 clean skates, that's the problem.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
if clean Bradie/Mariah/Ting/Eunsoo could medal for sure, even Tursynbaeva has chance. But they haven't put out 2 clean skates, that's the problem.

Not sure Ting could medal even being clean but the judges do seem to like her when she skates semi clean. People are talking about Alysa Lui as the savior of US ladies but she can't even move up to Seniors internationally for another 3 years so Ting has a great chance to set herself up over the next couple of years among the younger US Ladies. I can see her passing both Bradie and Mariah in a couple of years if she learns to be a fighter and believe in herself which she seems to lack at times. The time to build a strong US ladies division started at Nationals with the youngsters and it needs to continue at 4CC.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

brady? probably, but mariah i don't think so, her tech is too low compared to the other girls and she really needs to be perfect in both short and long program

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I hope Bradie will be on the podium. If she has two clean programs, it is very possible, especially beating Mai, whose programs are not my cup of tea. Japanese sweep will be boring.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Mai skates two clean programs, I think she can medal. I like her programs, particularly her short. :biggrin:

The judges generally hate sweeps, especially something like a Japanese sweep on American soil when the Americans skate decently.

I hope you are wrong with all these conspiracy theories about what judges hate or love. I just don't see any reward that accrues to a judge for doing anything but giving the highest marks to the skaters who skate best.

(Ah, well. Maybe I'm naive, and everyone is a crook except me. ;) )

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I hope you are wrong with all these conspiracy theories about what judges hate or love. I just don't see any reward that accrues to a judge for doing anything but giving the highest marks to the skaters who skate best.

(Ah, well. Maybe I'm naive, and everyone is a crook except me. ;) )
I am naive too. I think that, in general, the judges try to do their best.

Fluture

Record Breaker
If Mai skates two clean programs, I think she can medal. I like her programs, particularly her short. :biggrin:

Mai is generally very consistent, much more so than Mariah or Eunsoo or maybe even Bradie. I think she has a great chance to medal. I think this is the Japanese girls‘ to lose. But it will be interesting to see how the others do. Maybe we‘ll get some surprises.

Country
Russia
Entries in order of Season Best.
In () - other best only for them who has not Season Best.

1 Rika KIHIRA JPN 233.12
2 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN 213.90
3 Mai MIHARA JPN 209.22
4 Bradie TENNELL USA 206.41
5 Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA KAZ 200.74
6 Ting CUI USA 199.79
7 Mariah BELL USA 198.96
8 Yelim KIM KOR 196.34
9 Eunsoo LIM KOR 196.31
10 Yi Christy LEUNG HKG 177.22
11 Alaine CHARTRAND CAN 172.17
12 Veronik MALLET CAN 170.68