2019 World Championships Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Free Dance

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm so upset I'm missing this! I'm stuck in a queue to vote and I'm still sick and I'm dying! Send help!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Shari KOCH / Christian NÜCHTERN
Germany
Music: Notre Dame De Paris Medley: "Esmeralda tu sais;" "Belle;" "Lval d'amour;" "Danse Mon Esmeralda"
Choreography by: Corrado Giordani
Costumes: Red dress with black mantle and patterned beading, red hair-kerchief. It's the full Esmeralda drag for her! He's in black pants with brown earth toned tunic top over a beige shirt. Costumes courtesy of Cliche Casting!

Program Layout:

Yes, it's Tortured Love from the git go! She holds her skate behind her as he drags her into
Twizzles - Level 4 for both, 1.46 goe. Huge distance for them. Nicely done
Stationary Lift - Level 4, .59 goe
Tempo change with cartwheel and we're into the
Circ Step Seq - decent edges but it feels endless. Really endless. Level 3, 1.11 goe
NT St Seq - Level 3 for her, 2 for him, 1.04 goe
Tempo change with tortured male vocals into the
Dance Spin with cartwheel exit. Level 4, .60 goe. Bobbly transitions. They are hitting the highlights, mostly with arm gestures. But then a very nice flip entry into
Chor Char Step Seq - which is barely readable as one. Where's the axis? Where's the character? 1.66 goe. Generous.
Curve Lift with a nice sculptural position. Yes, nicely done. Level 4, .69 goe
Ro Lift with jump (by her) entry. Decent speed on this. Level 4, .69 goe I guess the judges just hit repeat button
Chor Spin which I honestly thought was a choreo slide the first time I saw it. 1.25
Chor Lift - step up to shoulder pose. A bit awkward entrance and exit. 1.00
to final Esmeralda Is Dead And He Is Very Sad pose. Hey...they can reuse that for a R&J program! Waste not, want not!
Love the meshugganah kvetching hand movement at the end by him. Why? WHYYYYYY????

A whole heckuva lot of music cuts to this, but the flow isn't bad. And they have decent speed and edges. It's all a bit rough around the edges, and could use polish. It reads to me like Ersatz Pechelat & Bourzat.

Score: 95.56

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Remember when we used to see this kind of “storytelling” programs all the time, where the dancers portrayed characters from movies, operas etc. ? Kind of a thing of the past now.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Speaking of snacks- ruffledgrouse​, how were the Haribos?

oly2018

Final Flight
Is her dress flapping open?! Or is that intentional? I don't remember it being like that...

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Sheer princess puff sleeves+opening mimeography= a delighted RuffledGrouse

Not as good and Anna and Luca, but still cute. (Ok, that was a really cool straight line lift)

oly2018

Final Flight
They have great lifts, but this program has a lot of slapstick choreography and they don't really commit to it.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh my god, I wish I could be positive right this second, but there’s an off the charts high probability that I’m going to have a repeat of last night, whereby I conk out, sleep through the alarm I set, and miss 90% dance event.

:ddevil:

So. Bloody. Tired. :( Please please please, everyone here, send me some telepathic energy and caffeine.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Cool lifts, shame about the freak fall. They seemed rattled after that.

glorybox6

Final Flight
This team has been middling for so many years, would love to see them with some fresher content — they’ve shown such promise in the past but it feels like they just haven’t found their niche.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow. Between the costume tearing and the freak fall, that's a rough outing. They've really struggled the last few years, and it's such a shame. Maybe it's time for a coaching change? A nice new change of scenery, a fresh start?

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Oh my god, I wish I could be positive right this second, but there’s an off the charts high probability that I’m going to have a repeat of last night, whereby I conk out, sleep through the alarm I set, and miss 90% dance event.

:ddevil:

So. Bloody. Tired. :( Please please please, everyone here, send me some telepathic energy and caffeine.

:console: Sending you green tea and jelly beans

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Speaking of snacks- ruffledgrouse​, how were the Haribos?

I got a bad of American Haribos so I could do a proper comparison. I like the harder texture of the American ones (more chewing time). As far as flavor, I like the American cherry and strawberry, but prefer the German for everything else (the German lemon is actually good and doesn't taste like lysol!).

All in all a very successful experiment :agree:

Lota

Record Breaker
I hate when ice dancers fall. I mean, I hate when anyone falls, but at least in other disciplines you're kinda bracing for it, in ice dance it is always SO unexpected :hopelessness: :eek: :no:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN
Ukraine
Music: "The Nightclub-Dance Suite" (from "City Lights" soundtrack) by Charlie Chaplin; "At the Millionaire's Home" (from "City Lights" soundtrack) by Charlie Chaplin; "The Adventurer" by Charlie Chaplin and Carl Davis; "Titine" (from "Modern Times") by Charlie Chaplin
Choreography by: Fabian Bourzat
Costumes: Little black dress with cap sleeves and sequined bodice for her; black pants and suspenders with white shirt for him

Program Layout:

Somewhat Chaplinesque steps and posing to start.
Stationary Lift - Level 4, .69 goe
and right into
Circ St Seq - who doesn't love a waltz? Level 2, neg 2.90 goe. I thought it went on and on and the fall didn't help
SL lift - a bit of an odd entrance. Level 4, .52 goe
Tempo change
Twizzles - Level 3 for both, neg .60 goe
NT St Seq - nice and close and synced. Level 2 for both, .31 goe
Tempo Change
Dance Spin - with a leap and slide entrance. Hard to get speed out of that. Level 4, .72 goe
Chor Char St Seq - well they finally managed to sneak some cliched Chaplin moves in. 1.52 goe
Tempo change
Curve Lift - in a deep cantilever. Level 4, .79 goe
Chor Dance Lift - another cantilever position. These two love their cantilevers. 2.28 goe
Chor Spinning Movement - a throwaway. 1.25 goe
and into final pose.

It's an odd program: Chaplin with almost no Chaplin. Too many music cuts to build any real momentum. Not my fave of their programs. And I really like this team.

The judges however continue to practically scream We Hate You at them. Strange.

Score: 87.67

See what I mean?