2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men - Short Program | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2021 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men - Short Program

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OK Jason. It's now or never.

Reveal the quad. No pressure. No one can threaten you for the podium now, even if the attempt is unsuccessful.

Do it. Do it.

The quad wasn't planned for the sp. I agree with that strategy. Maybe the fp. Or else just go for the performance, make the Worlds team and go for the quad at Worlds. If Jason tries the quad in the fp, he needs to be strategic about it so that he has enough to rack up points if the attempt isn't successful. That comes via placement strategy and jump selection to ensure if the quad doesn't work, he has enough tech and stays on point to get the points he needs to stay on the podium.

Another thing I'm amazed by is the fact that skaters have to be able to go out there, and be present and call up what they need at times that aren't of their own choosing! You may not feel good, or had issues that day, etc. But when your name is called, you gotta be ready. Your head can't be swimming.

I now fully realize this is why they train, in order to be ready even in a hurricane or more apropos during a pandemic in a bubble in Las Vegas! Wowza to these guys and ladies, Amazin' Grace!

I'm feeling out of sorts and the world is in a wacky place. And I wonder how they do it. I think it's that they're young and they have good support behind them in order to remain focused. Those athletes who kinda run into problems and don't have enough support may have a harder time when the moment comes to compete. They go out there and it's just them and the ice. So the ice has to feel like a friend. If something doesn't feel just right, you still have to perform. That's why picking the right music and choreo is so important. When the music starts, you have to feel like yes, this is familiar and I'm ready to roll, have fun and get it done. Every other distraction has to recede.

Mariah must have felt the weight of the world like a ton of bricks. Or else, she was thinking too much and just not able to manage the nerves in a way where she had full control of her muscles. Johnny described what that kind of pressure of expectations feels like. It's not pretty.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't rush them please. ;)

And see my previous post. Isn't it obvious that we've got plenty of amazing skater guys!
Sorry, didn't mean to be rushing them. I was just looking at the next tier for the leaders.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Well some will argue Hanyu. And what he Nathan did was also amazing. Changes are made to the scoring system almost yearly. Maybe this year not so much. I would not want to have to pick between them. But Jason is in 3rd...by a lot.
I would consider Hanyu as splitting the difference between Jason and Nathan. Not quite as good as Nathan technically or Jason artistically but arguably the most well-rounded skater.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I love Nathan. I am not a Nathan critic. But removing the PCS cap might help. Or it might send things too far the other way.
Sure, but it's not clear what the answer is, because the sport itself is so full of politics and conflicts of interest. The judges are not immune. PCS is used too often to manipulate placements. Plus, the subjectivity allows for bonehead scoring decisions. We've seen this too often. On the high end and in the middle and on the low end. A lot of times PCS scores make little sense and are not always based on the reality of skaters' actual aesthetic skills. It's often based on how they performed technically.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would consider Hanyu as splitting the difference between Jason and Nathan. Not quite as good as Nathan technically or Jason artistically but arguably the most well-rounded skater.
I disagree that Hanyu is the most well-rounded skater. Hanyu is a bravura technical skater. And then he moves with difficult to describe fluidity that does not seem normal. He seems like an alien from another planet. It's the fluidity that many people feel makes Hanyu artistic. For me Hanyu can be jawdropping amazing or else it's a mixed bag. He doesn't always pay full attention to his music. Jason and Nathan are ALWAYS on point with their music, especially Jason!

It depends on your definition of 'well-rounded.' LOL

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm being sarcastic because I'm really angry at that Twitch streamer, they played some stupid ad of goo over Vincent's skate (and I can't find anywhere to watch it) and unilaterally decided that Vincent should be erased from figure skating.

It completely ruined the men's event for me.

It's only fitting to me that since they're going to drag Vincent over one offensive act I should do the same to them. Obviously they'll never know, but it gives me some satisfaction if everyone would boycott their stupid stream.

I found it on YouTube.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I found it on YouTube.

From YouTube channel of NBC Sports:

Vincent Zhou 2021 Nats SP: https://youtu.be/2uH0r5joYAQ
Thank you I'll have to try and get my VPN going so I can see them.

And I just realised I can't watch the first group of free dance because NBC isn't showing it and that jerk is the only Peacock stream I know of. So well played, Twitch streamer, well played.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
This Nina Simone program is ACES! I can't believe how well Jason (and Rohene) nailed all the musical accents, even in the middle of a flying sit spin. The only thing that took me out of the program was when he does that "blind spot double check" before his 3Lutz, but that is a nitpick.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sorry, didn't mean to be rushing them. I was just looking at the next tier for the leaders.
Clearly if they get it together: Camden Pulkinen, Tomoki Hiwatashi, Alexi Krasnozohn

Plus guys did you know Andrew Torgashev is an artist (a painter) in addition to being an amazingly talented figure skater? Check out his Instagram to see some of his artwork. I'm stoked and over-the-moon for Andrew moving to Raf's team in Cali at Irvine. That must be one fun, hardworking rink. A great place to train. I won't pile on the expectations, but Andrew has proven to be a very creative young man already with the goods! Surely Raf can help refine his 3-axel technique and help guide him and stoke his confidence. Raf also wants his skaters to take charge of their careers, and their training regimens, which is a good thing.

So add Andrew to the top of the list, and Ilia Malinen. And Dinh Tran is no slouch. Neither is Eric Sjoberg! There's also Max Naumov (the son of former Russian pairs skaters). I don't know a lot of Yaroslav Paniot. That's why I asked his age.

Also, good for Jimmy Ma performing well here in the sp. The fp should be something on Sunday.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No other skater in the world can do what Chen did either.
Absolutely. No one else can skate like Hanyu either. These top guys are rare individuals. At his best, Mikhail Kolyada is an exceptional artist and technician. No one else is like him!

What makes Nathan incredible is the way he has mastered and competed quads, along with his singular focus on perfection and just moving so differently on the ice. Plus his innate musicality that some people don't seem to detect. Being able to combine all of these amazing attributes with clean, consistent quads is why fans and observers call Nathan 'unreal.' He is very human and very real, but what he's able to do is hard to describe, and even harder to believe.