2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 68 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimR

On the Ice
I literally mentioned that Finland, China and Japan are issuing visas to Russians, but other countries that are hosting major competitions are not. The GPs are held in the USA, Canada, France, Japan, China and Finland (i.e. three GPs will be easily accessible for Russians, the other three will not - But that's enough with the very small amount of Russian skaters still entitled to GP spots), the GPF in China (i.e. no issues here either). The Challengers are in ITA, CAN, GER, SVK, FIN, HUN, KAZ, AUT, POL and CRO. Europeans are in Hungary, Junior Worlds in Taiwan and Worlds in Canada.

Also, Russian coaches do not officially represent any country and are always registered at competitions for each individual skater, which is why they can't be banned, but Russian skaters, judges and other officials can be. Now, coaches that at the very least coach in state-funded schools in Russia are not independent agents in my eyes. This is already demonstrated by the fact that some former Russian skaters who switched countries talked about how their coaches were no longer allowed to train them because they no longer represented Russia.

Once again, I reiterate that the visa issue and the ban are completely independent issues. To the ISU, your passport doesn't matter. It only matters whether or not you are officially representing Russia as an entity (Remember the introductions when skaters take to the ice? Along the lines of "From Russia, XYZ"? Or "Representing Russia, XYZ"?) For countries issuing visas, however, your passport does matter. There's a reason none of the Georgians have run into visa issues, but the pairs from the Netherlands have. That reason is the ability, or lack thereof, to use a second, non-Russian passport.

Also, what's the use in doing a "Europeans" or "Worlds" if it's in name only? Other countries won't send skaters (or at least not their top skaters) because they would be stupid to risk their Olympic eligibility. While I'm sure they could try to sue to reinstate eligibility, but legal proceedings are not fast and there would be no guarantee they would win. There's another reason why other competitor organisations to the main governing body in many other sports never really took off, even when athletes were allowed to compete in other competitions without repercussions, and that is that athletes can only qualify for the Olympics through the main governing body.
While I've seen people repeatedly say that the Olympics "aren't that important anymore" and "many athletes wouldn't care if they couldn't compete at the Olympics", I disagree. At least not in sports like figure skating, with a long Olympic history which has a great influence on the organisation, and training of figure skating to this very day. It is not for nothing that a whole host of skaters retire after the Olympics, or return from retirement to have one last shot at making the Olympics.

If Russian skaters are at GP events, it will be in China and Japan only. Just for safety and I don't think other skaters will feel emboldened to act aggressively to Russian girls in those countries.

There is only going to be one spot for European and Worlds. Depending on what is happening with Valieva (I think this gets delayed as long as possible now to punish her), maybe Tuktamysheva would go to Europeans (probably less hostility in Hungary and Tuktik is mature), Adelia the lone skater to World's.

I don't agree with the idea of coaches with Russian passports being unable to work in the EU or anywhere that is pure discrimination no difference to discriminating based on skin colour, gender, sexual preferences. Completely unacceptable, so I look forward to TSHT at ISU events the next season.

Next year is not pivotal to Russian skaters, and I think they will develop far more in an ultra competitive domestic season so I hope the ban stays in effect. It will only benefit the Russian girls.

Next season will be crazy with Gorbacheva adding more quads, Zhilina the new Russian Rocket, Valieva is looking to restore her full ultra-c that made her unbeatable in 2021-22, Akatieva and Petrosian will only be stronger, Muravieva and Tuktik will still be there. All of them would likely beat the world champion every day of the week.

Last edited:

JimR

On the Ice
It's too bad that Bolero kind of fell apart for Kamila but it's a difficult program to attempt in a show to a live musical performance no less. I hope she has better luck tomorrow.

Really though, it's ambitious to attempt a program like that in a show with dark lighting when competition ended 6 weeks ago. Even just jumping triples and double axels would be quite difficult to sustain.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
It's too bad that Bolero kind of fell apart for Kamila but it's a difficult program to attempt in a show to a live musical performance no less. I hope she has better luck tomorrow.

Really though, it's ambitious to attempt a program like that in a show with dark lighting when competition ended 6 weeks ago. Even just jumping triples and double axels would be quite difficult to sustain.
Probably the wrong program to preform with all the emotions attach to it now.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Probably the wrong program to preform with all the emotions attach to it now.
There is zero, and I mean absolutely zero, reason for Kamila to be performing anything while Bolero is playing at this point.

It should be retired.

Bolero will always be attached to Kamila forever. That Nationals winning Bolero was and is the greatest free skate in this fine sport’s history. Went to a place that nobody was able to accompany her to. Skating nirvana.

JimR

On the Ice
There is zero, and I mean absolutely zero, reason for Kamila to be performing anything while Bolero is playing at this point.

It should be retired.

Bolero will always be attached to Kamila forever. That Nationals winning Bolero was and is the greatest free skate in this fine sport’s history. Went to a place that nobody was able to accompany her to. Skating nirvana.

I'm guessing that skaters when they practice a program to the same music after months or years they have some kind of pavlovian response to certain notes or pauses in the music, and it takes very little to disturb that rhythm. It's no coincidence that Kamila is suddenly landing a triple axel again since skating to In Memoriam. She perfected her triple axel originally to that music.

It's a complicated program as it is, to do it to live music they won't be in perfect rhythm compared to recorded music, she seemed out of sync with the music, the accoustics seemed terrible.

I think Channel 1 record both nights, so maybe just go back to one of the short programs for tonight not a 7 jump program or hopefully the just stick with skating Bolero to her original music.

I'm surprised they haven't used Interstellar it's a great program.

katymay

Medalist
She is unbelievable. I have no doubt she will restore the Salchow next season but it will take a lot of work of course. The quad toe I haven't seen her fall on since November, and now the 3A is restored in a program in front of an audience. She has jumped it in training since November though, but stability has been a problem. This looks solved for the most part.

Given how difficult an extra 500 grams has made it for some Eteri skaters to jump, she's probably added 5kg minimum since the Olympics due to natural growth, so it is extraordinary what she has done this season to restore these jumps. This is a super athlete, once in a generation type. Maybe the best pure female athlete in the world right now.
The quad toe she uses her long legs like a pole vault (As does Ilya), but the quad sal is a 'lift' jump, and I don't think she will get that one back. BUT, she is one of the greatest in history. No matter how things fall out in the future.

DoubleBass

Rinkside
The quad toe she uses her long legs like a pole vault (As does Ilya), but the quad sal is a 'lift' jump, and I don't think she will get that one back. BUT, she is one of the greatest in history. No matter how things fall out in the future.
According to her, she has successfully landed it this season multiple times during practice, this is why she attempted it a few times at Tutberidze shows recently, although unsuccessfully

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
From Davydov's inteview

'Anna (Frolova) came to us and said that she would take a break and wouldn't skate. We kind of recovered, slowly got back on our feet, she was raring to go, "I want quads". And then, two days after the Grand Prix Final, she came with flowers.
Although after the competition she said, "I am not in pain anymore, I am ready to work". What happened in two days? There were no preconditions for leaving. But it is her decision, she is an adult person'.

The journalist added that she isn't going to retire.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
From Davydov's inteview

'Anna (Frolova) came to us and said that she would take a break and wouldn't skate. We kind of recovered, slowly got back on our feet, she was raring to go, "I want quads". And then, two days after the Grand Prix Final, she came with flowers.
Although after the competition she said, "I am not in pain anymore, I am ready to work". What happened in two days? There were no preconditions for leaving. But it is her decision, she is an adult person'.

I guess she is switching coaches then, I wonder where she will end up?

His words on Liza B don't inspire confidence either, it looks like she is finished sadly :shrug:

MiraiFan

Final Flight
From Davydov's inteview

Anna has been my favorite Russian for years... hope she ends up somewhere with coaches who prioritize her health.

JimR

On the Ice
From Davydov's inteview

Maybe she can't bring herself to say retirement, but unless she or her parents have deep pockets, at 18 it's basically a very expensive hobby for someone if they aren't in the national squad or reserve team, plus there's no real prospect of it happening when you look at what the other girls are doing.

If she skated anywhere else in the world other than maybe Japan and Korea, she would be an almost automatic start for all international competitions.

Amei

Record Breaker
Maybe she can't bring herself to say retirement, but unless she or her parents have deep pockets, at 18 it's basically a very expensive hobby for someone if they aren't in the national squad or reserve team, plus there's no real prospect of it happening when you look at what the other girls are doing.

If she skated anywhere else in the world other than maybe Japan and Korea, she would be an almost automatic start for all international competitions.

Russian ladies have a habit of taking breaks that last for years, before they "officially" retire. Zagitova officially isn't retired but it's been almost 4 years since she competed. Sotnikova, Radionova, Pogorilaya are a few others off the top of my head that were similar in a "break" morphing into retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.