2022 Skate Canada Free Dance | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Free Dance

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Wasn’t it just? I’ve caught up with it right now and thoroughly enjoyed everyone in the last group, but most of all P&P and F/G. To me Ice Dance is gonna be the most interesting and exciting discipline on the international stage this season. 💃🕺
I didn’t go with high expectations, but on practices on Friday i totally changed my mind! Top 6 were great, and omg, the fight was fierce, and that La/La’s swan skate was so powerful despite me loving their more upbeat stuff. So good! 👏🙌

ZeldaJo21

Rinkside
Re: Tanith and Charlie, I feel like there's a big emphasis in ice dance to not react much to the scores. Everything is nod, shrug, "okay". Tanith and Charlie maybe take that a touch too far. (And it's just something I dislike about ID K&Cs in general.)
Yep, it makes you wonder what is really going on in their minds when they are seeing the scores???

rain

Record Breaker
Fear/Gibson- I struggle to politely phrase how overrated I find this team and how baffling their scores are to me every competition. I did not like Vogue, but that program was much less clumsily cut than this one, which flat out reuses several lifts and moments (such as the character step) to much less effect. The scores suggest a rise, the program suggests a plateau. I understand wanting to lean on your strengths (upbeat, crowd-pleasing pop, lifts with wow-factor) but the choreography is feeling less and less specific and the lifts don't have as much wow-factor when they're recycled. I would not have had this in second place.

What I really noticed in Fear/Gibson's program here was how Lilah completely dropped character at various points to get through the more difficult elements, such as the one foot step. The music is still going on like crazy in the background, but that's what it is, background. They are relying on it to do the work with the audience/judges, because they are not doing it with their skating. I also noticed how they actually come to almost a complete halt after multiple elements, then have to scramble to get momentum going again.

I do see improvement from them since their Vogue program, which I actively disliked, but it's not a 125 improvement. I don't blame the audience for getting into it, the two of them are good performers and who doesn't dance a little to Lady Gaga, but the judges should be able to look past the flash and see what's underneath.

I will go completely against the grain and say I think Lajoie/Lagha are better skaters. There definitely isn't a 5-6 point gap between them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What I really noticed in Fear/Gibson's program here was how Lilah completely dropped character at various points to get through the more difficult elements, such as the one foot step. The music is still going on like crazy in the background, but that's what it is, background. They are relying on it to do the work with the audience/judges, because they are not doing it with their skating. I also noticed how they actually come to almost a complete halt after multiple elements, then have to scramble to get momentum going again.

I do see improvement from them since their Vogue program, which I actively disliked, but it's not a 125 improvement. I don't blame the audience for getting into it, the two of them are good performers and who doesn't dance a little to Lady Gaga, but the judges should be able to look past the flash and see what's underneath.

I will go completely against the grain and say I think Lajoie/Lagha are better skaters. There definitely isn't a 5-6 point gap between them.
Not against my grain.... I also think Lajoie and Lagha are better skaters. I also think their expression is more nuanced. Lilah and Lewis are fabulous performers but it gets too much for me.... Fast and acrobatic is one thing... it's fun. It's exciting... but I cannot have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I wish they worked on developing a more varied expression, with a diversity of nuances and colors.