2022 Skate Canada Rhythm Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Rhythm Dance

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here for the Rhythm Dance.

I have one thing to say: YEHOR YEHOROV!!

And Team KoKo!

LOL what is Romain wearing? Somehow I surpressed that outfit from last GP...

Oh dear I just looked away and there was a collision! Yikes how did that happen?! Hope everyone concerned is OK.

I read ahead a bit, what's wrong with Misato's dress? I guess it's kinda busy, it's got fringe though, you gotta respect fringe :biggrin:

LOL, apparently Romain's outfit was so shocking the stream died! Harsh. :laugh2:

OK, we're back...on Romain's shirt, that's kinda hilarious.

But oh boo now we've got sound issues...And I didn't see what these two are supposed to be skating to...ah well it was probably a latin cover of something so even I found the music it wouldn't match. LOL, Mikhail is giving +5.00 GOE on face though. Oh wait the music just came back for a second and it's totally different to what I imagined...and now it's gone. Sigh, they've forgotten to put both the red and the white jack in... Also no BOX!

Man I can't believe I'm not gonna see Molly and Yehor's RD with sound! This saddens me greatly. Oh for a second the sound was there...then it went...This looks so weird...it does make you appreciate the face though. Although with no BOX it's even harder to know what's going on with the TES. Nice ending there though...

Well, at least the music is back for the replays. And Charlie! :love: His hair remains awesome.

Goooo Team KoKo! Tim's Dad dancing is inspiration for all us, so I'm here for it. I loved that, they're so fun! Hooray premier plus so far!

Here comes Romain and Marie-Jade and Romain's truly epic shirt. But...Mambo No. 8? Where's Mambo No. 5? Wow big score for them! Face adds PCS I think.

Emily has an unfortunate last name for English speakers, but an absolutely fabulous dress! It's everything I love fringe and green! Nice twizzles there too. I appreciate the samba legs 💃 They look like they're having a blast out there, always fun! They go into 2nd.

Righto, I'll wrap it up here before heading on to Group 2, with Aussies! 🇦🇺

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Woohoo! Group 2!

Interesting that Lilah and Lewis are ranked higher than Piper and Paul!

Also I remain amused by Zach L's resemblence to Scott Moir, it's cute!

Ooo Paul is that a real tatt?! And Piper is pretty in purple!

Lilah's dress wins! 💚 And damn Lewis has perhaps out V'ed Guilliame with that shirt there, noice.

Yeah! Bring it on 'Straya! Holly is like a shiny diamond and Jason's giving face like it's goin' out of style. Well, dunno about anyone else, but I'm enjoying it. Which reminds me, I know Holly has Aussie citizenship - she used to do singles, but how about Jason? It'd be fun to see an Aussie dance team at the Olympics! Shame about the Twizzle check.

Time for Marjorie and Zach! Marjorie has gone for the golden shard look, nice. Ooo, let's get funky. Hahaha cris-cross! This middle bit is hilarious because I only know that music from an Offspring album. It's called Intermission and it's just...hilarious. Much like Zach singing along. Heh look at them playing up to the crowd as they come in close. Woooah I'm surprised they didn't take off with the speed on that Rotational lift! That was fun!

Ha ha was that Igor S clapping along? The replay made it look like he was doing it to the music...

Wow Zach has played piano at Carneige Hall? I wanna hear him play! Into 1st they go! But ooo a deduction, so only juuuust.

Caroline and Michael, who I've just realised also have G/P as their initals, this could be confusing... Now where have I heard this music before... Nice twizzles! The curve lift was pretty boss, Caroline's moves were fantastic, but Michael really had a strong base there! Didn't even wobble!

Hey again Charlie! :biggrin: Wow into first they go!

Yeaaaaaaaah crowd let's applaud these bosses! I'm so excited they're continuing! And as a judge Paul's...um...quality would distract me greatly, those pants are very flattering indeed :laugh2: This is also a very saucy dance, weeeeerk it. The Canadian Flags come out to party! And Piper and Paul as World Champs?! Sign me up for that! (Although if Jean-Luc and Kaitlin make it I'll also be there for the party).

Wooooooaaaaah that score is HUGE more than 10 points ahead of Caroline and Michael, wow!

Oh boo my stream decided I need to see some ads so now I have to wait for Lilah and Lewis. Rude!

Here they go! And they're twizzling for their liiiiveeesss. Lewis also proves to be hugely eyecatching, very nice moves indeed.

:laugh: The sychronised head bobbing from their coaches in the background. That was super awesome. But can the beat Piper and Paul? That's a tough one... Too tough, but they're comfortably in second.

That was a great competition! Bit sad seeing Molly and Yehor all the way down there...along with Holly and Jason. Ah well, the FD beckons.

Okedoke, I gotta go make my dinner! See you around!

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
I’ve managed to watch it after all!!! What a competition! F/G are brilliant, Lewis’ moves are something else. :D

But most of all: how fab were Piper & Paul? The dance, the look, just :yahoo:
F/G are fantastic - agree about Lewis - he moves so well. I thought Lila seemed a bit tighter in her skating today compared to their other skates this season, which I suspect is why their score was lower than their season’s best.

rain

Record Breaker
I am going to address your comment about Zachary's small stumble.
Yes. It was obvious. Yes. It was on an element. I agree with that.

Were they held up? Considering they are almost 7 points off their Season's best... it's a bold statement. (yes, I know... challenger series can be generous in scores.. they have been with Fear Gibson too).

I was watching the score box. It went down noticeably in GOE and that element was marked the lowest by far in GOE for them where they mostly got 0-2... instead of the 3 or 4 they often got on all their other elements. So yes, judges deducted GOE as they were likely to give them a much higher score on that element... They recognized the flair and quality of skating in general and deducted for the stumble as they shou.

Here is where it gets interesting. If you are an ice dancer and you are going to stumble on an element int the RD, well do it on the Choreographic Rhythmic steps because the BASE VALUE will NOT be affected... it is FIXED and the same for everyone. No matter how you do it, you start with 2 points in BV. It's not the same thing with twizzles, were they were scored a level 3 each... or their other step sequences where the panel was also conservative. In the end, they were not given any home candy as you are putting it (unlike KF at SKAM). They were even penalized for an extended lift. And finally, the Choreo elements are often given MAJOR GOE from the top teams... so it made a huge difference.... G/P got 6.25 on that element... Lala got only 4.25. F/G got 8 points and Piper and Paul 8.25...

This is a major deduction for them. The only two teams who scored less than LALA on the element are the two weakest teams of the field.
Agreed. I also thought that without the stumble this dance deserved to be significantly higher than Green/Parsons, so they really were hurt (rightfully).

Tangentially, I don't like that the choreographic elements are so highly rewarded. I like their inclusion to give the dances flavour, but I wish elements that involved actual bladework skill were given more weight. This just seems like a recipe for corruption, where favoured teams can be given candy GOE with no explanation necessary. Now here I thought both top teams probably deserved their high points on these elements, but I can easily see future shenanigans taking place to slot teams where the judges want them, and the tech panel has nothing to say about it, so there's not even that check on the system.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Tangentially, I don't like that the choreographic elements are so highly rewarded. I like their inclusion to give the dances flavour, but I wish elements that involved actual bladework skill were given more weight. This just seems like a recipe for corruption, where favoured teams can be given candy GOE with no explanation necessary. Now here I thought both top teams probably deserved their high points on these elements, but I can easily see future shenanigans taking place to slot teams where the judges want them, and the tech panel has nothing to say about it, so there's not even that check on the system.
Interestingly, most interviews I've seen/read with ice dancers agree with you. It seems they miss the pattern dance too!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Interestingly, most interviews I've seen/read with ice dancers agree with you. It seems they miss the pattern dance too!
I missed the pattern dance too until I saw Piper and Paul's. I think some of the more seasoned and creative team could do wonder with it. I am guessing that in a few seasons, we will find these more interesting as teams get a better grasp of the possibilities they have been given... strangely here, I feel that the ISU has been giving skaters ooprtunities that they haven't managed to utilize yet properly.

What I believe @rain is talking about and that I agree with are these choreo elements with a fixed base value... like the CHAJ the CHSPin the CHLi etc and now the CHRS... as they start with 2.0 or 1.10 of base value and judges give GOE like candy on them to some teams and just do not give GOE to others...

At the same time, LALA lost tons of points with their stumble on theirs... so I guess it can do the job when there is a mistake... BUT... when all teams skate their elements well... it's hard to see how it is being judged as it has no levels to upgrade... etc. I know there are features to get bullet points but still ...

Last edited:

Cilla70

On the Ice
Piper and Paul were on fire here. They look totally reinvigorated from last season, where they looked a little tired and lost. Trust them to come up with the only rhythm dance of the season that I've liked so far! I LOVED it. I thought it was clever and sophisticated and steamy.

Disappointed for Lajoie/Lagha with that error. Without it they would deservedly be well ahead of the rather dull Green/Parsons. I hope LaLa can move onto the podium with the FD.

Green/Parsons are disappointing this season. They had that stunning free dance last year — one of the best pieces of choreography in the world — and this year it's so ho-hum. They almost need to start from scratch.

Looks like Lauriault/Le Gac's stock is rising after last week's bronze.

I'm just not a huge fan of Fear/Gibson (sorry). But they sure are on a roll. You could see, however, in my opinion, a marked difference between them and Gilles/Poirier.
I agree about P/P. If they had this program last year they would have been scored so much better. The program was sexy and crisp. Loved it.

rain

Record Breaker
I agree about P/P. If they had this program last year they would have been scored so much better. The program was sexy and crisp. Loved it.
Yup. This one is a home run out of the gate.

Last year's RD wasn't bad choreographically, but their packaging did them in, in my opinion. The music, costumes etc. came off as dated. It made the whole thing seem tired — a lot more than it actually was. Those hideous costumes in particular were such a distraction. The looked cheap, tacky, and gaudy, a terrible combination. I couldn't believe they didn't change them out. Music selection is so key in this discipline and while I don't mind Elton John, certainly, somehow the pieces they chose were just not new or fresh, and they didn't bring anything new or fresh to them.