2022 Skate Canada Rhythm Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Rhythm Dance

rain

Record Breaker
Piper and Paul were on fire here. They look totally reinvigorated from last season, where they looked a little tired and lost. Trust them to come up with the only rhythm dance of the season that I've liked so far! I LOVED it. I thought it was clever and sophisticated and steamy.

Disappointed for Lajoie/Lagha with that error. Without it they would deservedly be well ahead of the rather dull Green/Parsons. I hope LaLa can move onto the podium with the FD.

Green/Parsons are disappointing this season. They had that stunning free dance last year — one of the best pieces of choreography in the world — and this year it's so ho-hum. They almost need to start from scratch.

Looks like Lauriault/Le Gac's stock is rising after last week's bronze.

I'm just not a huge fan of Fear/Gibson (sorry). But they sure are on a roll. You could see, however, in my opinion, a marked difference between them and Gilles/Poirier.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I noticed something about the ice dancers' costumes. Piper's costume looked magenta in person but lavender on the big arena screen. There was another dancer's costume that looked dark purple in person but blue on the big screen. Tell me, which colors did you guys at home see?

Country
Norway
I noticed something about the ice dancers' costumes. Piper's costume looked magenta in person but lavender on the big arena screen. There was another dancer's costume that looked dark purple in person but blue on the big screen. Tell me, which colors did you guys at home see?
I would say Pipers dress looked purple, not lavendel (that is a rather light purple?), when I think of Magenta it looks more like pink, so I would say purple.

The other dress, could it be Carolines? I think it looked somewhere between blue and magenta...

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would say Pipers dress looked purple, not lavendel (that is a rather light purple?), when I think of Magenta it looks more like pink, so I would say purple.

The other dress, could it be Carolines? I think it looked somewhere between blue and magenta...
Hmm, suppose I'll have to check the video once the event ends. FYI, this venue has horrendous lighting that makes all my photos have a yellow tint to them unless I hold my phone at a certain angle, it could be causing the color discrepancy.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This should not go ahead of LALA.
Why not? G/P didn't make any mistakes. Plus, by the tight score you see between these two teams, I'm gonna bet that LaLa will be on the podium after the FD. I wouldn't say that for sure if G/P were skating their last season's FD which was innovative and outstanding. LaLa had a wonderful FD last season too, so it would be even tighter. This season, in comparison both LaLa and G/P went conservative for their FDs, which in both cases don't play to their strengths. Keep in mind too that when Piper/Paul and Chock/Bates both retire (if they retire LOL 😆), G/P and LaLa will be battling right at the top for some prime real estate among elite ice dance warriors, eh! Cuz not much separates these teams in terms of talent.

In terms of Latin flavor, the very best teams on the night were Fear/Gibson and Bratti/ Somerville. In fact, I thought B/S hit it out the ballpark. They were all in and all over the Latin flair and passion, skating like they had nothing to lose (which they didn't). Huge improvement from start of the season. Those in this thread humorously arguing over the best U.S. male ice dancer between Jean-Luc and Ian Somerville need not fight. They both loaded for bear with insane talent. They got the skills and the sass and the pizzazz! Michael Parsons is utterly cool and rocks too in his own way. Nobody beats Jean-Luc on blade skills and funny sense of humor, though! 😉

Zachary Lagha is also exceptionally talented. But he slipped up here and they got away with it. Conversely from all the whining and belly-aching in the SA fp pairs thread the other day when judges held up the World champions at home no less, everybody here seems copacetic re LaLa being held up. Ha ha. Don't tell me the mistake wasn't on an element. It was on transitional footwork. In ice dance that usually gets you dropped. LaLa should at least be behind Lauriault/ LeGac. But yeah, that might make it harder to reach the podium, adding pressure on them for their FD.

I don't think LaLa were as on their game as they usually are, because they are very good in the Latin genre too. Maybe it was a bit of nerves, and/or excitement and trying too hard. Even Fear/Gibson did not seem to skate as all-out as they did at the beginning of the season. Clearly, had Ian S made such a mistake as Zach did, B/S woulda been dropped maybe three positions. Had Michael G made such a mistake, they woulda been dropped at least behind LaLa and the other Canadians, L/L. Zach was purely relieved in the kiss'n cry with that generous score. Holly and Jason didn't fare as well re her twizzle mistake.

Piper/Paul are consummate pros. I love them, but Latin is not their strong suit either. But I mean good luck beating Canadian teams on their home turf. LOL. P/P did their job though with steadiness and ease. Albeit, I don't agree with that overly high score. But anyway, I predicted them in first with F/G second. I'm off slightly with other outcomes in dance. Fuhgettabout my SK ladies predictions! 😆 :shrug:

Last edited:

Aklaus

Rinkside
I am really looking forward for Piper and Paul.
IMO their RD is really extraordinary and they werw catching my eyes not olny with their looks.
But ice dancing is always politics. Their components scores were not sufficient in relation to wahat Chock and Bates got last week.

rain

Record Breaker
Are there videos anywhere? I cannot access the RD videos anywhere from here in Canada
Not yet. CBC sports has put Gabby and Maddie's short programs up on YouTube, but hasn't done the rhythm dance yet. And the streams will be available for replay on CBC later as well. We'll just have to be patient, lol.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have just watched Piper and Paul.

OMG... I am in love ! Carol Lane and team did a wonderful job here..

and for the first time this season, I am convinced that the Pattern Dance Step sequence can be amazing ! I guess teams have been exploring it cautiously... theirs was just spectacular and so effective on the music (only the beats)...
WOW..

Off to watch some more teams.. but had to come and say this ...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Zach and Marjorie...
I love THIS program too. SO much energy. Super fast twizzles... they need to get level 4 though... Unfortunate slip in the choreo step... sigh...
that lift seems a bit long.... of course it gets a deduction.. but i think the ISU needs to think about this better... of course, we don't want skaters to be floating in the air instead of skating... but if the ISU wants to encourage intricate entrance and exit and lots of variation during the lift... it seems a bit exaggerated to get a minus 1 deduction for a lift that is slightly too long.. meh.. my rant is over.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Caroline and Michael.. for some reason, I had not realised their age difference (19, 27)... so I am surprised that he is already 27... and isn't projecting more. I give a pass to some of the younger dancers because it takes time to learn that if it is not "sort of natural" but yeah..
I liked some of the dance like the transition out of the pattern dance into the lift.. BUT that pattern dance step was ZZZZ....
My biggest concern with them is that I felt they were skating a bit far apart from one another compared to some other teams.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Gibson's V neck is so low that it almost looks like he shrank his shirt in the dryer and has it on super stretched out... I like V necks... but this one... not a good sight.
Fear's dress : i love green.

Twizzles.. I don't like how many transitions they add to them.... it is impressive they cover so much ice but it slows down the series a lot.
Pattern Dance Step : not the best we have seen tonight. I feel it exposes Fear's as a weaker partner in their team. His knees are deeper, his skating smoother. Overall that was my least favourite element of theirs. ZZZ
Spectacular lift. Good energy in the end but I felt like Lewis was more "elegant than sensual" in his latin dance interpretation.

I feel more confident after watching this that Piper and Paul are ahead of them this season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
😉

Zachary Lagha is also exceptionally talented. But he slipped up here and they got away with it. Conversely from all the whining and belly-aching in the SA fp pairs thread the other day when judges held up the World champions at home no less, everybody here seems copacetic re LaLa being held up. Ha ha. Don't tell me the mistake wasn't on an element. It was on transitional footwork. In ice dance that usually gets you dropped. LaLa should at least be behind Lauriault/ LeGac. But yeah, that might make it harder to reach the podium, adding pressure on them for their FD.
:shrug:
I am going to address your comment about Zachary's small stumble.
Yes. It was obvious. Yes. It was on an element. I agree with that.

Were they held up? Considering they are almost 7 points off their Season's best... it's a bold statement. (yes, I know... challenger series can be generous in scores.. they have been with Fear Gibson too).

I was watching the score box. It went down noticeably in GOE and that element was marked the lowest by far in GOE for them where they mostly got 0-2... instead of the 3 or 4 they often got on all their other elements. So yes, judges deducted GOE as they were likely to give them a much higher score on that element... They recognized the flair and quality of skating in general and deducted for the stumble as they shou.

Here is where it gets interesting. If you are an ice dancer and you are going to stumble on an element int the RD, well do it on the Choreographic Rhythmic steps because the BASE VALUE will NOT be affected... it is FIXED and the same for everyone. No matter how you do it, you start with 2 points in BV. It's not the same thing with twizzles, were they were scored a level 3 each... or their other step sequences where the panel was also conservative. In the end, they were not given any home candy as you are putting it (unlike KF at SKAM). They were even penalized for an extended lift. And finally, the Choreo elements are often given MAJOR GOE from the top teams... so it made a huge difference.... G/P got 6.25 on that element... Lala got only 4.25. F/G got 8 points and Piper and Paul 8.25...

This is a major deduction for them. The only two teams who scored less than LALA on the element are the two weakest teams of the field.