2022 US Nationals: Pre-game Chat | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2022 US Nationals: Pre-game Chat

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I dunno, Chris. My poor daughter had PLENTY of drama trying to fly home from the Bahamas on Jan second (and third…)
Sure . 10,000 flights canceled. Including mine to Nashville. Local weather issues and crew availibiltiy issues. Now imagine if 5G was turned up and the pilots all across the country were forbidden by law on pain of loosing their licenses to land during normal winter bad weather at 50 airports across the US and had to divert. And (wait for it) since the canceled flight snarl can then be blamed on weather, the airlines dont have to put you up in a room...I feel for all those people who were and are right now stuck sleeping at airports or in hotels at their own expense...the news was interviewing them yesterday.... :(

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
There’s been nothing said about how he and Katarina DelCamp ended as far as I’m aware. Neither of them announced the end of the partnership, just showed up with new partners.

But the end of his 10 year partnership with Eliana Gropman was not pretty.

Del Camp’s Instagram makes it pretty clear that she and Somerville were romantically involved. My guess is that the reason they started skating together - and the reason the no longer do - is rooted in that.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Del Camp’s Instagram makes it pretty clear that she and Somerville were romantically involved. My guess is that the reason they started skating together - and the reason the no longer do - is rooted in that.
Ouch. Shades of Samuelson and Bates except I dont think they were romantically involved. Was she not away in Europe when he was healing from the operation?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Ouch. Shades of Samuelson and Bates except I dont think they were romantically involved. Was she not away in Europe when he was healing from the operation?

Not sure about that. But as to Somerville, both Elliana and Katarina both described being blindsided by his decision to leave the skating partnerships. So not a great way to handle things. Hopefully Elliana is doing well in her new life and DelCamp and Somerville thrive in their respective new partnerships.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
First time watching practices. It was great fun and I loved seeing the women in their practice togs.

katymay

Medalist
First time watching practices. It was great fun and I loved seeing the women in their practice togs.
I changed my predictions. LOL. Gracie and Hannah throwing some big jumps. Audrey seems to have made a huge recovery. Rena looking strong. Gabby with her huge speed across the ice. Trying to figure out who is eligible for Junior Worlds-Lindsay and Isabeau are locks, maybe Kate Wang for the third spot.

b-man

Final Flight
Well, the b-man watched Wed evening ladies' practice. Of the four considered contenders, Liu, Bell. Chen and Glen, I was most impressed by Karen, and I am normally not a Karen fan. Her jumps, including combos, looked good, as well skating skills, and speed. Karen looked a little more intense than others, which doesn't always translate into results. Some competitors coast through practice and only turn it on when the score counts. I thought Liu looked lackadasical and imprecise in her movements while still hitting some big jumps, She also looked a little unkempt, I assume she will look sharper in tomorrow's short. Glen had a few falls, pops, bad landings. Amber being overtaken by Levito or Thorngen would not be a surprise, and I have a soft spot for Amber. Gold's jumps looked to be in excellent form, the technique looks like the Gold of 2014-16, however, her speed and skating skills are not what they were. I also wonder why she spends so much time at the boards with her coaches, while other skaters are perfecting technique during limited practice time.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, the b-man watched Wed evening ladies' practice. Of the four considered contenders, Liu, Bell. Chen and Glen, I was most impressed by Karen, and I am normally not a Karen fan. Her jumps, including combos, looked good, as well skating skills, and speed. Karen looked a little more intense than others, which doesn't always translate into results. Some competitors coast through practice and only turn it on when the score counts. I thought Liu looked lackadasical and imprecise in her movements while still hitting some big jumps, She also looked a little unkempt, I assume she will look sharper in tomorrow's short. Glen had a few falls, pops, bad landings. Amber being overtaken by Levito or Thorngen would not be a surprise, and I have a soft spot for Amber. Gold's jumps looked to be in excellent form, the technique looks like the Gold of 2014-16, however, her speed and skating skills are not what they were. I also wonder why she spends so much time at the boards with her coaches, while other skaters are perfecting technique during limited practice time.

In my very limited understanding the “practices” here aren’t literally practices but more get used to the rink/get your legs under you type of thing, and that it is too late to work on technique the day before you skate. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

I think her skating skills and musical interpretation have improved a lot since 2016, but really what do I know.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On a stress level of 1-10, today is stress level “gorge on raw cookie dough.” Good thing I have a huge tube of it in the refrigerator.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would tell you to buy a lottery ticket given your premonition talents, but i think a cursed monkey paw would mess that up too.
I think I’m snowed in (I live at the bottom of a hill and it takes a ridiculously tiny amount of snow to do that. When I try to shovel it when it gets to a certain point on the incline I start sliding back down.) If I’m lucky the sun will come out and melt it. So I wouldn’t be able to go out and buy it in any case.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know some are worried. But I’m excited! Olympic season! Nationals before Olympics! It’ll be exciting to see great skates and who qualifies! Less than 6 hours left till the pairs SP and this gal can’t wait to see what happens!

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Man, I wish I could do cookie dough, but it's hot tea and covid tests for me today. Upside: if I'm positive, it means I can stay home and watch figure skating for the next 5 days :coffee:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Anyone know what time the Women’s SP broadcast starts? According to the schedules, the event starts at 6:30 Nashville Time which would be 7:30 EST, but for me, Peacock saying that the stream starts at 8:30 EST. Are they just not broadcasting the first group or something?

Can anyone please help? I don’t want to miss part of the event!