2024 European Championships Rhythm Dance | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2024 European Championships Rhythm Dance

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Awww, that was nice of Chris saying that he was disappointed that Sofía and Asaf didn't get through.

And looking at the results, they were so close to it. They were at the bottom of a tight group of 10 partnerships covered by 4.36 points that stretched all the way up to 14th position. If they had been clean, they would have been easily through.

It just goes to show how costly a couple of little mistakes can be.

CaroLiza_fan
Ice dance is getting so competitive. It never crossed my mind that they or Milla & Nicolaj would be in the stands for the free dance.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Awww, that was nice of Chris saying that he was disappointed that Sofía and Asaf didn't get through.

And looking at the results, they were so close to it. They were at the bottom of a tight group of 10 partnerships covered by 4.36 points that stretched all the way up to 14th position. If they had been clean, they would have been easily through.

It just goes to show how costly a couple of little mistakes can be.

CaroLiza_fan

Had they been clean they would likely have been 14th. While S/D would likely have been 10th with a performance in line with their season so far.

Apart from everything that might go on behind the scenes I think there is also a psychological tendency. People are disappointed by the favourites because they did not deliver what was expected from them and then they put all their hopes on athletes/teams who are younger and not "burned" yet, even though their performances or results are not yet even where the more established ones are when they "fail". Sometimes that works out and the younger athletes develop as much and as fast as was hoped for, but at least as often it doesn't. Then often fans or selectors put all their hopes on to the next ones...

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sadly problems at work made me miss this event entirely - thought I'd be here for the final 2 group s but alas. Your comments make me look forward to a good rewatch.

Andrea82

Medalist
Breakdown of marks

Hungarian judge had Fear/Gibson 1st.
Ukrainian judge had a tie between F/G and Guignard/Fabbri
Rest west with Italians

For third place
Poland, Italy, Ukraine, Czechia and Georgia: Reed/Ambrulevicious
France: Lopareva/Brissaud
Hungary: Davies/Smolkin
Switzerland: Demougeot/Le Mercier
Slovakia: Mrazeks

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Okay now I'm done watching the RD (rewound the stream so didn't join in the live chat), sad that T/V are lower in the standings than I hoped them to be but happy for R/A to have such a good score in front of their home crowd. Overall a fun event, the battle for bronze is going to be nail-biting. Oh and one more thing: is Yuka okay? She had so much tape across her shoulders

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ice dance is getting so competitive. It never crossed my mind that they or Milla & Nicolaj would be in the stands for the free dance.

It's great, though, that it is so competitive.

The problem is that the ISU are not giving the partnership categories a fair deal. All the categories should have 24 going through to the Free. Not just the Singles categories.

Had they been clean they would likely have been 14th. While S/D would likely have been 10th with a performance in line with their season so far.

At the end of the day, the position in the SP only matters when it comes to qualifying or not. And both 10th and 14th would have achieved that.

Given how both partnerships performed all season, it would have been unfair if either partnership had got both assignments. And I said as much when Sofía and Asaf were initially given both. Splitting them was the right thing to do.

Apart from everything that might go on behind the scenes I think there is also a psychological tendency. People are disappointed by the favourites because they did not deliver what was expected from them and then they put all their hopes on athletes/teams who are younger and not "burned" yet, even though their performances or results are not yet even where the more established ones are when they "fail". Sometimes that works out and the younger athletes develop as much and as fast as was hoped for, but at least as often it doesn't. Then often fans or selectors put all their hopes on to the next ones...

I wouldn't say they are my favourites. At the end of the day, I kinda inherited them through having adopted Sofía's previous partners when they were Singles skaters.

Granted, I am impressed by how good they are already as a relatively new partnership. But, the fact that I love their programmes undoubtedly also feeds into me being so enthusiastic about them. If they have programmes that I don't like next season, I'll still be supportive, but I won't be quite as enthusiastic as I am this season.

Look at how I was with Camille and Pavel in Pairs last season. They are another partnership that I kind inherited through having adopted the current partner of Camille's former partner when this other lady was a Singles skater. (Boys, but that was complicated to explain!) I hated Camille and Pavel's 2022-23 Short Programme (of course I did - it was Billie Eilish), but I was still being supportive. Just not to the extent as I would have been if I liked the programme.

When the scores are as close as they were here today, I don't see finishing 3 positions away from qualifying as a failure. I just see it as unfortunate.

But, that's just me. I'm not an athlete with a competitive mindset. They probably see it differently. (And Sofía undoubtedly sees it differently to me because, as I said earlier, she takes her skating very seriously).

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

The problem is that the ISU are not giving the partnership categories a fair deal. All the categories should have 24 going through to the Free. Not just the Singles categories.
This is simply based on demographics. At this point in time, there are just as many ice dance teams competing as there single skaters competing at Euros... but it's not the case at Worlds where there are more single skaters.
Pairs = only two didn't make the cut... so if the ISU were to be fair, they would cut even more in pairs ... right now, 75% or so were kept in both men and women, to be fair, it would mean 15 pairs (and yes, 24 dance teams)... but at worlds these numbers will change of course.

I don't think that the ISU is being unfair so much as being logistically aware. 24 LPs is quite long but 4 warm up groups. In dance, 20 teams is already 5 warm up groups... in pairs 16 teams is four warm up groups.

People complain when there are too many teams on the ice, when it's too long, and so on, then they complain when there are people cut.

The point too in the LP is to have a relatively strong and competitive field after the cut. In some sports, the cuts are even more intense... In diving for instance, only 12 divers make the finals....

amanda b

Rinkside
Oh my god, I hated that. There's something tasteless about the way the pieces of this program are put together, her facial expressions, but most of all the wild arm throwing which fits the beats but is otherwise so senseless.
Okay, they are strong. I just didn't like it at all.
totally agree about having her mouth open!

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Well done Lilah and Lewis :cheer:flawless, pipped to first by the Italians again! Alison and Saul brought the house down tonight, a happy home crowd.

Cilla70

On the Ice
The French team is so quirky and I can appreciate a little quirkiness. Their skatings are deserving of top scores. Go L/B.

The Taschlers are my favorite young team. They are similar to Hubbell/Donahue, who I miss. They have speed, skating skills and performance.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
The replay has a copyright strike!

I'm trying to avoid all the results (other than Pairs) so I don't want to tweet the ISU page myself.

Will this be sorted out? How?

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
At the end of the day, the position in the SP only matters when it comes to qualifying or not. And both 10th and 14th would have achieved that.

Given how both partnerships performed all season, it would have been unfair if either partnership had got both assignments. And I said as much when Sofía and Asaf were initially given both. Splitting them was the right thing to do.
While the placement in the SP/RD only matters for qualifying, the final placement is what determines whether that country gets to send only one team or two teams to the next Europeans. That's why it would actually have made more sense to send Smart/Dieck to Europeans and Val/Kazimov to Worlds. Sure, V/K had a much better chance of qualifying to the FD here at Europeans than at Worlds, but for Spanish ice dancing it doesn't matter much, as they were unlikely to make top 10 at Euros anyway. If they were sent to Worlds, they would still get to enjoy competing at that big stage, while Smart/Dieck could probably place top 10 at Europeans and get two spots for the next Euros both for themselves and Val/Kazimov. As it is, it's very likely that next season only Smart/Dieck will get to go to both Euros and Worlds, leaving Val/Kazimov at home.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom

CaroLiza_fan
Isn't just that there's four groups for the free. Which is why there's less in the pairs and dance.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I always think that, even after having seen this program quite a few times now. I can't decide if I should appreciate it they are still able to surprise me with that because it comes so sudden or if it's just a bad move.
Looking at the GOE that step sequence is getting it's definitely not a bad move, since judges are evaluating the overall execution, not the impression from the first half a second of that move 🙂.