Boot help | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Boot help

Newbieskatingmom

Rinkside
You can do dance almost as well with a freeskate boot and blade as with a dance one. Dance boots tend to have a lower cut on the ankle and are much lower in the back to allow for easier toe point. The blades are much shorter, with less aggressive and more toe picks. The rocker is also more intense, or at least feels that way because of the smaller toe picks.

For your level, it comes down to what your comfortable in. I achieved my Gold level dances and was working on some of the senior competitive ones in freeskate skates. I've since switched to dance skates as I'm not allowed to jump any more and needed to avoid temptation. Free skates are more stable, but dance skates really let you get into the ice and you can achieve much tighter edges than in free skate boots.

I think for the level I’m at, I just need a decent pair of freestyle boots and maybe once those break down, I can look into dance boots, but thanks for the explanation!

Newbieskatingmom

Rinkside
Unfortunately, I haven't been skating for years, so perhaps someone else might be able to look at the photo and be able to tell. They don't look as bad as my first pair did through the forefoot, but as you said they don't look quite right through the ankle. From my experience with less than optimal skates, this is likely a width issue. Do you find that your heel sits in the heel cup nicely or is there space around your heel? That would be width - if you feel like you really have to strap your foot in with tight lacing.

If they don't fit right, it's hard to tell whether they are a good stiffness level because if they're too wide they will likely crease badly at the ankle anyway when you bend your knees. And it will be hard to tell if you have enough support because a well-fitting pair will provide better support. It's a good idea to speak to your coach about the stiffness level they recommend. I'm at the same level as you, but I had to go for a higher stiffness because of an injury I had a couple years ago, so my muscles around my feet and ankles aren't as strong as they should be. That's why I needed a bit of extra support from the boot and my coach recommended a higher stiffness level. But you and your coach are going to be the best judges of how much support you need. I think it's probably best to speak with them about your goals and see what they say.

You were right, the width is an issue. Length is only half a size difference but width in the heel is way off. My heels are a AA and I’m in a C right now because the boots are wide. Not sure what brand would work best without going the split width/custom route, but pro shop recommended maybe to look at Edea, although those seem like advanced boots for my level.

Ange

Rinkside
You were right, the width is an issue. Length is only half a size difference but width in the heel is way off. My heels are a AA and I’m in a C right now because the boots are wide. Not sure what brand would work best without going the split width/custom route, but pro shop recommended maybe to look at Edea, although those seem like advanced boots for my level.

It's great that you're on the right track now :)

Edea Overture is around the same level as the Freestyle, sitting at 48 stiffness and the next level up would be Edea Chorus sitting at 70 stiffness. In my experience, Edea allows for much deeper ankle bend, so it feels like there is less support in the ankle. If you have a narrow ankle they might not work either. I found that they were wide in the ankle in comparison to the toe. But if there is any way for you to try on different brands, this would be the ideal route. I had to fly interstate to try different brands in person and I am so glad I did because skates are not the cheapest things and I wanted to work out once and for all what suited my foot best so that I can just buy online in the future. Good luck!

Newbieskatingmom

Rinkside
It's great that you're on the right track now :)

Edea Overture is around the same level as the Freestyle, sitting at 48 stiffness and the next level up would be Edea Chorus sitting at 70 stiffness. In my experience, Edea allows for much deeper ankle bend, so it feels like there is less support in the ankle. If you have a narrow ankle they might not work either. I found that they were wide in the ankle in comparison to the toe. But if there is any way for you to try on different brands, this would be the ideal route. I had to fly interstate to try different brands in person and I am so glad I did because skates are not the cheapest things and I wanted to work out once and for all what suited my foot best so that I can just buy online in the future. Good luck!

Ah I see, you know, I was looking at their higher end boots and for some reason didn’t realize it. I’m getting a pretty deep bend in the Freestyles, my knees are definitely over my toes, not sure if I’d like something with less ankle support. I also have relatively narrow ankles as well, in comparison to the front of my foot. We don’t have a pro shop that carries anything but lower end Riedell and Jacksons in Georgia, everything else you need to just get your foot measured and hope you picked the right brand/distributor. I’m wondering if maybe there’s somewhere in Florida that might have a wider selection of brands to try on in-store. I have family up in NJ so maybe there’s somewhere in NY tristate area/ NJ that I can visit and try on different brands,I will have to look into it.

RoaringMice

On the Ice
If you come to NJ, the best skate pro here is Jim at the pro shop in Hackensack. He's excellent, but you need to have an appointment to see him. You'd call the rink, get his email address, and set the appointment up by email with him. He does skates for the elites, and also for beginners. He, however, doesn't carry Edea, and while he does have a lot of skates in stock, they're not every brand under the sun.

No matter where you go, there is the possibility that you may end up having to have the shop order in skates for you, so you may need to return to the shop to get the final fitting and set up.

Newbieskatingmom

Rinkside
If you come to NJ, the best skate pro here is Jim at the pro shop in Hackensack. He's excellent, but you need to have an appointment to see him. You'd call the rink, get his email address, and set the appointment up by email with him. He does skates for the elites, and also for beginners. He, however, doesn't carry Edea, and while he does have a lot of skates in stock, they're not every brand under the sun.

No matter where you go, there is the possibility that you may end up having to have the shop order in skates for you, so you may need to return to the shop to get the final fitting and set up.

Thanks, I don’t think I’d be able to get back up to do a final fitting and set up for a few weeks. I’m going to ask around the other adult skaters, maybe there are people in Georgia that can help and I just don’t know.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks, I don’t think I’d be able to get back up to do a final fitting and set up for a few weeks. I’m going to ask around the other adult skaters, maybe there are people in Georgia that can help and I just don’t know.

There are some in the Atlanta area at one of the rinks, I know I posted the info in another thread here in the past.

Try the Ice Forum in Duluth or Kennesaw. Tim Dolensky used to train there.
http://iceforum.com/

Newbieskatingmom

Rinkside
There are some in the Atlanta area at one of the rinks, I know I posted the info in another thread here in the past.

That’s where I went for my fitting, wish I had gone there originally but I didn’t know any better. The very nice and informative lady there only stocks Jackson and Riedell, she didn’t have anything quite in my size for me to try. I’m going to see if any adults at my rink are wearing the lower level Edeas just to try them, or any other brand.

Silver Ice

On the Ice
Ah I see, you know, I was looking at their higher end boots and for some reason didn’t realize it. I’m getting a pretty deep bend in the Freestyles, my knees are definitely over my toes, not sure if I’d like something with less ankle support. I also have relatively narrow ankles as well, in comparison to the front of my foot. We don’t have a pro shop that carries anything but lower end Riedell and Jacksons in Georgia, everything else you need to just get your foot measured and hope you picked the right brand/distributor. I’m wondering if maybe there’s somewhere in Florida that might have a wider selection of brands to try on in-store. I have family up in NJ so maybe there’s somewhere in NY tristate area/ NJ that I can visit and try on different brands,I will have to look into it.

There are figure skating clubs in Jacksonville and Pensacola, so those might be close enough for you to try.

I saw in another post that you measure a C/D split width. I actually measure that too. Wide ball with a narrow heel, but you might want to at least try on the regular width just to be sure if your current boots are feeling too wide. The first skates I got when I came back were wide because that's what I measure. However, they ended up being too wide and felt very uncomfortable. The past two pairs of skates I've gotten, I've just gotten the regular width and had them heat molded and they feel much better.

Newbieskatingmom

Rinkside

There are figure skating clubs in Jacksonville and Pensacola, so those might be close enough for you to try.

I saw in another post that you measure a C/D split width. I actually measure that too. Wide ball with a narrow heel, but you might want to at least try on the regular width just to be sure if your current boots are feeling too wide. The first skates I got when I came back were wide because that's what I measure. However, they ended up being too wide and felt very uncomfortable. The past two pairs of skates I've gotten, I've just gotten the regular width and had them heat molded and they feel much better.

I’ll check around and see if they stock inventory, thanks. I’m actually measuring at a AA/C split width, I have really narrow heels. My skates though are a C/D width because the fitter never measured anything but length, he just ordered wide because I told him that my sneakers (which are quite roomy) are wide. Yes, the other fitter I visited this weekend recommended just ordering a regular width and punching out the toe area and heat molding the heels. I’m hesitant to order Jackson’s though because of my original experience, I’d like to see what other options there are out there for me.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
To the OP: it sounds like your feet are not "stock" (C/D Ball and AA heel seems to be more differential than what standard split width will offer). You *might* be best served by going the custom route if you think you'll really get value out of the skates.

There are a number of manufacturers that will do customs. Riedell will do custom work - I wonder if the pro-shop you went to can do detailed measurements and see what Riedell can do? I think Jackson might be able to do something as a special order as well. I ended up in Harlick's - while I personally went to the factory to be fitted, they also work with tracings and photos of your feet (just make sure a friend does the tracing for you and you follow directions). Harlick does "stock" (which allow for a lot of options, like split width) and full customs for really wonky feet like mine.

I feel your pain - my feet are weird shapes and don't fit with stock sizing.

Newbieskatingmom

Rinkside
To the OP: it sounds like your feet are not "stock" (C/D Ball and AA heel seems to be more differential than what standard split width will offer). You *might* be best served by going the custom route if you think you'll really get value out of the skates.

There are a number of manufacturers that will do customs. Riedell will do custom work - I wonder if the pro-shop you went to can do detailed measurements and see what Riedell can do? I think Jackson might be able to do something as a special order as well. I ended up in Harlick's - while I personally went to the factory to be fitted, they also work with tracings and photos of your feet (just make sure a friend does the tracing for you and you follow directions). Harlick does "stock" (which allow for a lot of options, like split width) and full customs for really wonky feet like mine.

I feel your pain - my feet are weird shapes and don't fit with stock sizing.

That’s my hesitation with getting another pair of stock boots. The fitter I went to the second time recommended reordering the same boots I have now in size that’s half a size smaller and a regular width instead of the wide and then punching out the toe area and heat molding down the heel. I’m weary of going this route because I worry they still won’t fit my finicky feet and I’ll be out another $300. Plus, my toes are tapered so I worry the toe box might be either too boxy or not quite right. I also need orthotics because I have really high arches and lack of a lot of arch support puts pressure on my second and big toe and is causing pain near my shins where the big toe muscle is pulling. Right now, all the inserts I have in my boots (2 additional insoles on top of the Jackson insoles, padding under my toe box, arch inserts, and a 1/4 inch heel lift in one boot because my podiatrist said I have a slight leg length discrepancy) are messing with my center of balance and causing knee pain.

My only concern about getting custom boots is that I’m an adult beginner. I’m doing bunny hops and 3 turns, not triple axels. I do skate 10 hours a week or so and am moving up quickly and do want to progress (I don’t know about competing but I do want to test), but I worry about looking silly in expensive custom boots. I worry they may be unnecessary at my level and the wrong stiffness level (over booting?).

RoaringMice

On the Ice
Mine are "semi-customs" from Harlick. You can do a narrow heel and wider forefoot/split width, as well as other adjustments, without paying the price of a fully custom boot.

That said, you won't "look silly in expensive custom boots". No one can look at your feet and know if your boots are custom or not, unless you make them bright pink suede.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That’s my hesitation with getting another pair of stock boots. The fitter I went to the second time recommended reordering the same boots I have now in size that’s half a size smaller and a regular width instead of the wide and then punching out the toe area and heat molding down the heel. I’m weary of going this route because I worry they still won’t fit my finicky feet and I’ll be out another $300. Plus, my toes are tapered so I worry the toe box might be either too boxy or not quite right. I also need orthotics because I have really high arches and lack of a lot of arch support puts pressure on my second and big toe and is causing pain near my shins where the big toe muscle is pulling. Right now, all the inserts I have in my boots (2 additional insoles on top of the Jackson insoles, padding under my toe box, arch inserts, and a 1/4 inch heel lift in one boot because my podiatrist said I have a slight leg length discrepancy) are messing with my center of balance and causing knee pain.

My only concern about getting custom boots is that I’m an adult beginner. I’m doing bunny hops and 3 turns, not triple axels. I do skate 10 hours a week or so and am moving up quickly and do want to progress (I don’t know about competing but I do want to test), but I worry about looking silly in expensive custom boots. I worry they may be unnecessary at my level and the wrong stiffness level (over booting?).

I agree with SmallAminal and RoaringMice: You are probably going to need customs because your foot no matter how hard you try, is not stock.
Mine have been the same way for a long time, have always needed semi-custom or custom boots.

You being a beginner can get a custom or semi custom version of a stock boot that is appropriate for your skill level.

Newbieskatingmom

Rinkside
Mine are "semi-customs" from Harlick. You can do a narrow heel and wider forefoot/split width, as well as other adjustments, without paying the price of a fully custom boot.

That said, you won't "look silly in expensive custom boots". No one can look at your feet and know if your boots are custom or not, unless you make them bright pink suede.

Thank you, good to know about doing adjustments without going fully custom. I looked at Harlick and it looks like there is another company called SP-Teri. Is one better than the other for problematic feet?

Newbieskatingmom

Rinkside
I agree with SmallAminal and RoaringMice: You are probably going to need customs because your foot no matter how hard you try, is not stock.
Mine have been the same way for a long time, have always needed semi-custom or custom boots.

You being a beginner can get a custom or semi custom version of a stock boot that is appropriate for your skill level.

Thanks, it’s good to know I can get a stock boot customized, the fitter kind of dismissed me as an adult skater in terms of getting anything custom. I know I’m not going to nationals and I’m just skating for my own goals but I’d like to be comfortable too and not skate in pain, I’m in my 30s, ain’t nobody got time for things that don’t fit well and I can afford to put down some $$ for a quality boot if it’ll last me. I already have it on my list to call Kinzies tomorrow, I’ll add a call to Harlick as well. Is SP-Teri worth looking into? How are they different from Harlick?

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I know of several adult skaters at my rink with customs. There's no reason to look down on getting a boot that fits your feet well. It makes a lot of sense as an adults feet are done growing. No need to suffer in boots that aren't quite right just because you arent a high level skater.

What would be silly would be to spend a ton of money on something like ice flies because you think they look cool. It is NOT silly to spend a lot of money on something that will fit you properly and you'll be able to wear for many years and make skating more enjoyable.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks, it’s good to know I can get a stock boot customized, the fitter kind of dismissed me as an adult skater in terms of getting anything custom. I know I’m not going to nationals and I’m just skating for my own goals but I’d like to be comfortable too and not skate in pain, I’m in my 30s, ain’t nobody got time for things that don’t fit well and I can afford to put down some $$ for a quality boot if it’ll last me. I already have it on my list to call Kinzies tomorrow, I’ll add a call to Harlick as well. Is SP-Teri worth looking into? How are they different from Harlick?

I can't really say what boot brand will be best for you. I always knew Harlick's to be narrow with their stock boots, but if you are getting custom they could work. I don't know much of anything about SPTERI because never wore them, I do know they used to be one of top two brands back in 90's early 00's along with Harlick.

You also can look into Risport, Riedell, and of course Jackson. I know the most about Risport and Jackson b/c that is what I wear and have worn for years.

Good luck!

Tavi...

Record Breaker

I can’t help with Spteris, but for some reason I have it in my head that the Riedell last is good for someone with tapered toes. So maybe put them on your list. You might also try contacting the manufacturers to find out if they’ll be in your area any time soon for a competition and could fit you there, or if not, whether they’ll work with you directly via email. Whatever you do, make sure you tell them about the orthotics, because those will need to be taken into account when they build your boots.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Whatever you do, make sure you tell them about the orthotics, because those will need to be taken into account when they build your boots.

Tavi has a really good point - if you are putting orthotics in the boots, its going to change how the boot fits. This is absolutely critical information when being fitted. I had orthotics built into my custom skates and that worked well for me, so that's something to consider.

And as others have said, DON'T feel bad about investing in customs or semi-customs. Adults often have a lot of foot problems and if your foot isn't growing, why not invest in *comfort* and taking care of the health of your feet? I have customs and I'm probably about where you are and I don't (and probably won't ever) jump again due to injury. Honestly, after spending my 20's cramming my feet into ill fitting shoes (because I didn't want to believe that I couldn't wear normal sizing) and wearing horrible no-support flip flops I really wish I had paid better attention to my feet because they are so messed up now - claw toes, bunions, tailor bunions, completely flat feet, valgus heel........ Really, you don't want to end up creating issues for your feet (and possibly rest of your body, like knees, back, hips, etc.) so to me this is just about getting something to keep you healthy and safe on the ice. If your fitter is pooh-poohing that idea than see another fitter!

You can try calling the various manufacturers to see if they'll be at a competition near where you live. I know that Harlick and Sp Teri do make the rounds at various competitions. I can only speak of my experience with Harlick, but basically my feet are so weird that they created a custom last to match the shape of my feet and also allowed for the fact that they are different sizes. It does seem that they can do double split width on stock boots though. They are usually pretty helpful in determining what can be done for your feet - my skater has messed up feet too but can still fit stock with some adjustments

I feel the same with street shoes - I buy good quality, supportive shoes and they are usually expensive. To me, its about preserving the integrity of your feet. I plan on having these skates until I stop skating!