Brand New Ideas for Programs | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Brand New Ideas for Programs

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a wonderful musical called "South Pacific" about racial prejudice and hate encompassing two love affairs. I would like to see Madison Chock and Evan Bates skate to the music from the second love affair between a rugged handsome but ill fated Navy (Marine?) officer and Bloody Mary's beautiful Island daughter, Liat. They really only have two songs but they would work. "Happy talk" and "Younger than Springtime"
View attachment 3148
I ♥️ "South Pacific" (for that matter Rodgers & Hammerstein & Lerner & Loewe musicals)!

I do like the music of "Carmen" & "Bolero," but I agree that they have been overused. I can't stand "Je Suis Malade" (the song makes me feel "malade" (sick) or "Je T'aime" - sorry, I'm just not a fan of Lara Fabian or any singer who over-emotes, IMHO)! Please don't throw tomatoes @ me for saying that!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I ♥️ "South Pacific" (for that matter Rodgers & Hammerstein & Lerner & Loewe musicals)!

I do like the music of "Carmen" & "Bolero," but I agree that they have been overused. I can't stand "Je Suis Malade" (the song makes me feel "malade" (sick) or "Je T'aime" - sorry, I'm just not a fan of Lara Fabian or any singer who over-emotes, IMHO)! Please don't throw tomatoes @ me for saying that!
No rotten tomatos here....I do have some swiss chard that seems to defy dieing.....

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I hope I speak for everyone when I say that I'm tired of those. Plus Bolero, Je suis malade, Romeo and Juliet, and more.
I mean I really love Swan Lake so honestly I'd be okay if skaters keep on using it. There are so many pieces within the ballet and skaters really can pick any of them. Obviously they'll all use Introduction or Scene (Moderato) but they can choose from the 20 or so other movements too.

Romeo and Juliet is one I'm ambivalent about. Not a lot of people have skated to Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture and I believe that that one is the superior R&J. So if more people decide to use that one I would be delighted.

Bolero, Je Suis Malade and Carmen are annoying though. Same goes for Moonlight Sonata.

Dawn825

Medalist
I have lots of music ideas, but they always come with the caveat of someone amazing with brilliant choreography skating to it, and not just someone young or mediocre having it play in the background. Sorry :shrug: And basically all my ideas are for ladies. Sorry :shrug:
I want someone charming and sensitive to skate to a Sound of Music Medley. I know Weaver and Poje did it, but they used all the songs I don't want to hear and none of the ones I do, which would be Sound of Music, the Laendler, and Edelweiss.
I want someone to skate to For the Love of a Princess from Braveheart, Hanyu used part of it for his 2017 FS thought under a different composer and a different name for some reason.
I want a lady to skate to the music from the Esmeralda ballet that M/G are using for their SP.
If someone wants to do a different kind of R&J, I'd like them to skate to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8YgiyLs_h4
I love this song for a sassy skater like Radionova: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN4VLmo1QG4
Lambiel did a beautiful exhibition to Read All About it, I'd love to see another passionate skater skate to that in competition.
I already said I wanted to see an edgy program to Yellow Flicker Beat by Lorde and a beautiful program by an emotional senior lady to Not about Angels and Skinny Love by Birdy.

MuseGuy11

Rinkside
I mean I really love Swan Lake so honestly I'd be okay if skaters keep on using it. There are so many pieces within the ballet and skaters really can pick any of them. Obviously they'll all use Introduction or Scene (Moderato) but they can choose from the 20 or so other movements too.

Romeo and Juliet is one I'm ambivalent about. Not a lot of people have skated to Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture and I believe that that one is the superior R&J. So if more people decide to use that one I would be delighted.

Bolero, Je Suis Malade and Carmen are annoying though. Same goes for Moonlight Sonata.
Swan Lake is a great piece of music and you're 100% correct about there being more pieces. I really love Illinykh/Katsalapov's Swan Lake because they didn't use common pieces (besides the opening) or am I just losing my mind at what pieces have been used. :laugh: I also agree with Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet being superior, but I put the 1968 one just above it.

I really really REALLY want to see a Birdy program (especially to Not About Angels and Skinny Love); I feel that could be a great program for someone. Also a Kelly Clarkson medley would be fun (Dark Side, Already Gone, etc)

When it comes to Bolero, I LOVE the music. I just don't think it fits figure skating well and it's obviously overused. Carmen will always be around, as it's been around for a gajillion seasons, and Je suis malade is gaining traction to. I have a giant spreadsheet full of programs from the 2021 season and Je suis malade has been used 5 times, Romeo and Juliet 13 times, and so much more. However, just like R+J, I'll never grow tired of any Muse program, hence my username (specifically Exogenesis Symphony Part 3) or a Phantom of the Opera program.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Swan Lake is a great piece of music and you're 100% correct about there being more pieces. I really love Illinykh/Katsalapov's Swan Lake because they didn't use common pieces (besides the opening) or am I just losing my mind at what pieces have been used. :laugh: I also agree with Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet being superior, but I put the 1968 one just above it.

I really really REALLY want to see a Birdy program (especially to Not About Angels and Skinny Love); I feel that could be a great program for someone. Also a Kelly Clarkson medley would be fun (Dark Side, Already Gone, etc)

When it comes to Bolero, I LOVE the music. I just don't think it fits figure skating well and it's obviously overused. Carmen will always be around, as it's been around for a gajillion seasons, and Je suis malade is gaining traction to. I have a giant spreadsheet full of programs from the 2021 season and Je suis malade has been used 5 times, Romeo and Juliet 13 times, and so much more. However, just like R+J, I'll never grow tired of any Muse program, hence my username (specifically Exogenesis Symphony Part 3) or a Phantom of the Opera program.
Skinny Love by Birdy has been used: Kimmie Meissner skated to it. As have others.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I want to see someone skate to the Rite of Spring. Just like what if? What would it even be like?
Try these:

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
There are lots of interesting proposals for new music in this thread. But if you want to create a "brand new" and innovative program, why stop with the music selection and then do the same kind of classical-ballet inspired, more-or-less interpreting body movements to it that we already know from the warhorse programs? You can also look for new inspirations for the choreography.

For example, I wonder if it would be possible to combine the footwork and the technical requirements of figure skating with something like this.
I particularly like how the usual notorious "arm waving" would get replaced with something that has actually well thought out meaning and purpose. No doubt it would be a challenge for the skater and the choreographer, but I have not seen it tried before. Maybe our figure skating vets here do know more about such attempts.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There are lots of interesting proposals for new music in this thread. But if you want to create a "brand new" and innovative program, why stop with the music selection and then do the same kind of classical-ballet inspired, more-or-less interpreting body movements to it that we already know from the warhorse programs? You can also look for new inspirations for the choreography.

For example, I wonder if it would be possible to combine the footwork and the technical requirements of figure skating with something like this.
I particularly like how the usual notorious "arm waving" would get replaced with something that has actually well thought out meaning and purpose. No doubt it would be a challenge for the skater and the choreographer, but I have not seen it tried before. Maybe our figure skating vets here do know more about such attempts.
Try this masterpiece from 2017. "Land of All" Jeremy Abbott, who yes, used it a year before Chen did in competition. He was also the first to use the music for "In This Shirt" and had a similar type program with interpretive movements.

Dawn825

Medalist
Who choreogra
Try this masterpiece from 2017. "Land of All" Jeremy Abbott, who yes, used it a year before Chen did in competition. He was also the first to use the music for "In This Shirt" and had a similar type program with interpretive movements.
I immediately knew those were choreographed by Benoit. He has a very distinct style, and I guess most chreographers can do their best work without having to work around so many elements.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Who choreogra
I immediately knew those were choreographed by Benoit. He has a very distinct style, and I guess most chreographers can do their best work without having to work around so many elements.
It was a collaboration b/t Benoit and Jeremy who helped do the choreo.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I guess I’m kinda getting tired of seeing the same programs repeated over and over again. I’m sorry. I love this sport. But I want to see something new! There’s so much music and so many themes that haven’t yet been explored in figure skating. If you’re like me and you watch a lot of competitive dance, you might notice that a lot is being done over THERE and over HERE in figure skating, well, it’s hard to say it’s very innovative and very unique and very interesting.

Themes / Ideas / Programs you would like to see brought from competitive dance to figure skating?

I don’t believe I’m the only one who knows that there’s more out there than Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet.

Let’s get creative!

I totally agree. This is a great idea for a thread. There does need to be more creativity and thinking outside the box. In figure skating, there's a tendency to go with something safe and tried and true, due to the physically and technically demanding nature of the sport, which often isn't conducive to employing more creativity and taking chances. As it is, with the cutbacks on length of fps, and all of the rules requirements, there's a lack of freedom of expression and individuality in free programs, which needs to change. There's too much predictability of element layouts, and less unexpected risk-taking.

There totally needs to be an exploration of different and unusual music choices. I often have concept ideas, but I'm not as knowledgeable about music and finding unusual compositions. I just know there's a lot of different music out there that goes unexplored. That's why I love it when skaters make choices which introduce me to music and artists I'm not familiar with, such as Nathan Chen's selection of Nemesis, which introduced me to Benjamin Clementine.

Perhaps there should be opportunities for idea conventions where fans meet their fave skaters (virtually perhaps these days) and discuss fresh suggestions with them. Just an idea. 😄

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
There is so much 90s nostalgia at the moment I would love to see an ice dance medley to Oasis - from their Bsides - so many good options - Masterplan, Whatever...I bet Lilah and Lewis could rock it.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I totally agree. This is a great idea for a thread. There does need to be more creativity and thinking outside the box. In figure skating, there's a tendency to go with something safe and tried and true, due to the physically and technically demanding nature of the sport, which often isn't conducive to employing more creativity and taking chances. As it is, with the cutbacks on length of fps, and all of the rules requirements, there's a lack of freedom of expression and individuality in free programs, which needs to change. There's too much predictability of element layouts, and less unexpected risk-taking.

There totally needs to be an exploration of different and unusual music choices. I often have concept ideas, but I'm not as knowledgeable about music and finding unusual compositions. I just know there's a lot of different music out there that goes unexplored. That's why I love it when skaters make choices which introduce me to music and artists I'm not familiar with, such as Nathan Chen's selection of Nemesis, which introduced me to Benjamin Clementine.

Perhaps there should be opportunities for idea conventions where fans meet their fave skaters (virtually perhaps these days) and discuss fresh suggestions with them. Just an idea. 😄
This is great and all an as a pro that does use more out of the box than in, my whole career actually, it is hard to go too out of the box for competitive programs outside of ice dance. The criteria and judging does not allow for it much.

Believe me, many skaters/choreographers music collections and what they listen to off-ice would blow your mind, many would love to use it on ice but cannot for reasons posted above.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Believe me, many skaters/choreographers music collections and what they listen to off-ice would blow your mind, many would love to use it on ice but cannot for reasons posted above.

I understand what you're saying. The straitjacket of rules, and also the fear of taking too many risks. Without risk-taking, there are few rewards. But yes, a big part of the problem is not only the limitations imposed by rules and status quo expectations, but the fact that as I said earlier, tried-and-true war horses or safe tunes are simply easier to choreograph and put together within a short time. Plus, as we know, athletes do not tend to have a lot of time in the first place to spend on being as creative as they might wish to be.

But that's a sad commentary on the state of the sport and its limited capacity for growth.