Brand New Ideas for Programs | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Brand New Ideas for Programs

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Oh dear Lord NO. There was a German dance team who did a Very Special Cancer Awareness program a few seasons ago and it was beyond dreadful. And it smacks of those 9/11 Let's Exploit Someone's Tragedy Because We Are Trying To Push It Off As BOTH Arty and Compassionate. And frankly it's neither. It's just plain exploitation.

So not every single program like that could be seen as exploitative. Katarina Witt’s 1994 Olympics Free Skate was beautiful, and it was done in tribute to her Olympic win in Sarajevo, which had been a victim of extremely violent war in the early 1990s. I know it doesn’t always work, but it can if you do it correctly.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
So not every single program like that could be seen as exploitative. Katarina Witt’s 1994 Olympics Free Skate was beautiful, and it was done in tribute to her Olympic win in Sarajevo, which had been a victim of extremely violent war in the early 1990s. I know it doesn’t always work, but it can if you do it correctly.

Sure, but Witt also knew she had NO chance for a medal, so she could afford to skate a program like that at the Olympics. Alas, and perhaps I'm a cynical soul, but too many of these 'tribute' programs really are themselves cynical. I'll leave it at that.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Chen Lu skated an absolutely exquisite FP to The Last Emporer. Alas, Michelle Kwan also skated an exquisite program to Salome and edged her for the gold, in one of the best 1-2 punches in World Champ History.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMWGkZsncec

Chen won her world title skating to The Last Emperor in 1995; Michelle Kwan finished 4th at that Worlds.

In 1996 Kwan won her first World gold skating to Salome, with Chen's Rach 2 program settling for 2nd place.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Chen won her world title skating to The Last Emperor in 1995; Michelle Kwan finished 4th at that Worlds.

In 1996 Kwan won her first World gold skating to Salome, with Chen's Rach 2 program settling for 2nd place.

Thank you for correcting me. My bad.

Though both the Emp and the Rach programs are gorgeous.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Forgive me if this has actually been done before, but I want someone to skate to instrumental versions of music from Fiddler on the Roof. Instrumental because I think doing it with the vocals could get corny, especially with all of the different voices coming in. Specifically, I'd want to see someone skate to 'Sunrise, Sunset'. Its such a beautiful melody, and would still be beautiful in an instrumental version. Then maybe one/some of the other songs can be added in for tempo/melody variety.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Many Chinese dramas have really amazing OST, I think that kind of music would fit Boyang better, and I wonder why Chinese skaters don't use them.

I think Boyang should use something more modern like the opening songs from Go Go Squid or The Mystic Nine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stCBbh81ZeU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn1qJRv2WhI

I am still waiting for a male skater to use Nirvana in Fire theme song :sad46: as SP.

I remember that there was a Chinese ice dance team that did their opening to the OST of "The Untamed" which was cool. I feel like Chinese drama OSTs would make really good program musics because they're so dramatic! (I feel like Yuzuru could pull of the Nirvana in Fire theme).

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice
I'd like to see programs of some underused musicals I love such as Wicked ("Popular" could make an amazing program! :luv17:), Into the Woods or Sweeney Todd (This one without lyrics to avoid getting too dark :laugh: But I could see someone like Shoma Uno pulling off "Ballad of Sweeney Todd" or "Epiphany")

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I remember that there was a Chinese ice dance team that did their opening to the OST of "The Untamed" which was cool. I feel like Chinese drama OSTs would make really good program musics because they're so dramatic! (I feel like Yuzuru could pull of the Nirvana in Fire theme).

Yesyetday, I watched the animated Chinese movie Ne Zha on youtube (the one where they used Yuzu as a reference for one of the characters :laugh: ) and the music was IMO wonderful and very dramatic. Love to see him, or one of the Chinese skaters or pairs use it.

Now if I can just find the actual soundtrack somewhere...

And someone needs to introduce the skating world to the music of Elena Kats-Chernin, she has so much that would make beautiful programs for the ladies, I spend a LOT of time going "oh yes..."

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
For instrumental selections from musicals, just using the overture (or entr'acte if there was one) from an original cast album was pretty typical, rather than getting some specially cut recording of various tunes.

Forgive me if this has actually been done before, but I want someone to skate to instrumental versions of music from Fiddler on the Roof. Instrumental because I think doing it with the vocals could get corny, especially with all of the different voices coming in. Specifically, I'd want to see someone skate to 'Sunrise, Sunset'. Its such a beautiful melody, and would still be beautiful in an instrumental version. Then maybe one/some of the other songs can be added in for tempo/melody variety.

Here's a short program with different selections:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rOqkEWpqQ0

For a long program maybe one of the slower tunes would be included.

I'd like to see programs of some underused musicals I love such as Wicked ("Popular" could make an amazing program! :luv17:),

I've seen "Popular" used for entertainment programs a number of times at the local level, and "Defying Gravity" even more often .

Into the Woods

I've heard this a couple times at lower levels. Instrumental.

or Sweeney Todd (This one without lyrics to avoid getting too dark :laugh:

Here's one attempt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7t0UOBGkW4

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Hanazeve Caradhina for a Rika Kihira SP. Ahhhh, I can already feel the step sequence.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I'd like to see programs of some underused musicals I love such as Wicked ("Popular" could make an amazing program! :luv17:), Into the Woods or Sweeney Todd (This one without lyrics to avoid getting too dark :laugh: But I could see someone like Shoma Uno pulling off "Ballad of Sweeney Todd" or "Epiphany")

yes! yes! and yes to all of it! we need more witches and bad people on ice

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

The Scarlet Pimpernel, Next to Normal (you could get a great villain program out of 'I'm Alive'), Big River, Me and My Girl...

FlyingFeather

On the Ice
The Prelude for Poulenc's Sonata for Four Hands. It has a different energy than most classical pieces used for skating. Most are either bombastic and orchestral or serene solos. I love this piece because, even though it is just piano, it has the extra "oomph" provided by, well, four hands. The only issue is that the skater would have to add some music (preferably to the beginning) for it to be long enough for a SP. Maybe from another section of the Sonata?

For your listening pleasure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lunDd17ltyU

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The Scarlet Pimpernel, Next to Normal (you could get a great villain program out of 'I'm Alive'), Big River, Me and My Girl...

Next to Normal has a GREAT score. I had seen Kitt and Yorkey's previous musical, High Fidelity, which had one or two bright moments (plus one of the greatest set changes I've even seen on Broadway, where Rob's bedroom transforms in front of the audience into Rob's record store; the audience practically gave it a SO), but Next to Normal was just a wowser. Won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama that year, which is highly unusual for a musical. That's how good that score is.

For the Broadway RD, pretty much EVERY TEAM IN THE WORLD with the exception of Piper and Paul missed the boat on a 20s/30s-inspired RD, which to me is just :scratch3: and :dumb: and definitely :jaw:, given that the Finnstep is about as Roaring 20s as you can get. Google Broadway musicals 1920-1940 and see how many GREAT songs come from this period (it's pretty much the heart of the Great American Songbook era). That should keep you, your pets, their choreographers, their coaches, and the ice dancers themselves busy until the epidemic has run its course. And then some. Plus it would save us from having to hear the same old same old for the 289347893479832789437893rd time.

Sunny Little

On the Ice
Next to Normal has a GREAT score. I had seen Kitt and Yorkey's previous musical, High Fidelity, which had one or two bright moments (plus one of the greatest set changes I've even seen on Broadway, where Rob's bedroom transforms in front of the audience into Rob's record store; the audience practically gave it a SO), but Next to Normal was just a wowser. Won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama that year, which is highly unusual for a musical. That's how good that score is.

For the Broadway RD, pretty much EVERY TEAM IN THE WORLD with the exception of Piper and Paul missed the boat on a 20s/30s-inspired RD, which to me is just :scratch3: and :dumb: and definitely :jaw:, given that the Finnstep is about as Roaring 20s as you can get. Google Broadway musicals 1920-1940 and see how many GREAT songs come from this period (it's pretty much the heart of the Great American Songbook era). That should keep you, your pets, their choreographers, their coaches, and the ice dancers themselves busy until the epidemic has run its course. And then some. Plus it would save us from having to hear the same old same old for the 289347893479832789437893rd time.

Idk if it fits the music requirements, but I high key wanted someone to skate to Blow Gabriel Blow.