Daria Panenkova left Eteri’s group? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Daria Panenkova left Eteri’s group?

andromache

Record Breaker
There are several interviews with Pogorilaya where she said how strict Tsareva is, but she also always said that she accepted it, cause at this level in a way you have to be tough.

Being at the top means a lot of pressure, responsabilities, because you have to be perfect every single time, especially when the field is soo deep, if you fail at your first attempt, you're gone. (that's for example how important is for Daria to compete at this GP series, if she doesn't build her momentum now, then hoping to have spot next season will be incredibly hard)

If you don't want all of this, if you want a more relaxing experience just quit do something else, do ice shows or accept to compete at only few minor competitions cause you can't compete all year against someone who trains hard every day.

Ummm...I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise....?

Strict, tough coaching and a heck of a lot of discipline is obviously necessary for any elite athlete.

50 Words for Snow

Final Flight
Country
United-States
She seems a very demanding coach, look at her reaction at Anna's steps sequence at GPF 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSKAKpr6iD8

And i remember there videos of run-through from Skate Canada last year and she looked angry all the time.

I do agree that she is not that bad, at the end of the day it's all about the results and looking at Anna Pogorilaya, she achieved a lot despite always being treated like the one judges are so ready to screw, arguagbly she deserved even few more medals than what she got (Worlds 2014 was a bronze for me, Worlds 2016 silver, GPF 2016 silver, and Russian Nationals 2017 she was better than Sotskova)
Yikes! They look crazy. :shocked:

Thanks for sharing that! That's a great interview, but a lot of it is heartbreaking, like going from crying to laughing hysterically.

There are several interviews with Pogorilaya where she said how strict Tsareva is, but she also always said that she accepted it, cause at this level in a way you have to be tough.

Being at the top means a lot of pressure, responsabilities, because you have to be perfect every single time, especially when the field is soo deep, if you fail at your first attempt, you're gone. (that's for example how important is for Daria to compete at this GP series, if she doesn't build her momentum now, then hoping to have spot next season will be incredibly hard)

If you don't want all of this, if you want a more relaxing experience just quit do something else, do ice shows or accept to compete at only few minor competitions cause you can't compete all year against someone who trains hard every day.
Yeah, I read an interview with Sasha Cohen a long time ago where she said something along the lines of having a strict, harsh coach because she needed someone who would forge her into a champion no matter what it required or how much she resisted it. I don't remember her exact words, but that was the gist of it, and it looks like Anna is echoing it here. I think all of the coaches at this elite level are probably quite demanding, even coaches who seem "nice," like Brian Orser.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing that! That's a great interview, but a lot of it is heartbreaking, like going from crying to laughing hysterically.

Yeah, I read an interview with Sasha Cohen a long time ago where she said something along the lines of having a strict, harsh coach because she needed someone who would forge her into a champion no matter what it required or how much she resisted it. I don't remember her exact words, but that was the gist of it, and it looks like Anna is echoing it here. I think all of the coaches at this elite level are probably quite demanding, even coaches who seem "nice," like Brian Orser.

I agree with you here but would like to add that while being strict and demanding is a necessity, having respect for the athlete and treating them like an equal is, too. That‘s why I like Brian Orser so much. He is an elite level coach for elite athletes so yes, he should and is demanding and strict. But he‘s also respectful to his skaters, cheers for them when they‘re doing well and comforts them when they‘re not. He is also known for teaching good technique. While I understand that people are different (e.g. with someone like Eteri it‘s a bit harder to see when she‘s happy for someone because she usually doesn‘t openly share it like this) and I‘m not in a position to judge anyone, I can express my worries on why I‘d rather not have Daria switch to Tsareva. And that‘s - putting it bluntly - simply because I do not find her to be a good coach.

Firstly and what always bothered me the most: Anna cannot fall. Her falls look crazily scary. Falling is one of the first things you should be taught because you’ll fall down quite a lot in figure skating. After all those terrible falls her back is bound to hurt. No way you can survive this without suffering. And she didn‘t and that‘s what makes me angry. Maybe this could have been prevented if somebody had bothered to teach her how to fall correctly.

Secondly, she seems cold. I know that this is somewhat subjective because we can‘t know how a person is in real life and how she treats her students but from what I‘ve seen from videos, she seems distant and not very comforting most of the time. (Again there have been exceptions where she was nice to Anna) Also, a few of the things Anna said are a reason for me to question her.

“You know what, if you tell a person every day he is stupid he'll become stupid. I was told daily am hysterical, even though am not at all in the real life. When I told the German doctor about my reactions he was quite surprised. He said `you suffer a terrible back pain all the time, of course you are nervous, it's quite normal“

Direct quote by her from the interview. Of course I don‘t know how accurate the translation is but the meaning is the same, I believe. This sounds quite troublesome in itself to me.

Personally, I simply do not want Dasha to go there. Because, even if Tsareva isn‘t ”that“ bad, I doubt that she‘s more supportive or more loving or protective than Eteri. And the results would probably not be worth it either. Quite the opposite actually.

Again, this is only my opinion and not facts (obviously but oh well, better mention it. :biggrin: ) Nonetheless I hope Dasha to have a good season and be happy wherever she decided to go. In the end, it‘s her choice to make, not ours. :)

Tutto

Record Breaker
Anyone but Tsareva, Dasha, please :pray:

Did she have a choice?
Buianova is probably not taking any more students
Also Tsareva is Sambo's coach too and it could well be that it was a condition by RusFed to stay in the club in order to keep her funding, GP spots etc as it was outside the allowed coaching change period
I agree with most of the comments on Tsareva being too strict etc but we must give her a credit for making Anna the world class skater from the basic level. And she might have learned from her mistakes with Anna. I'd give her a chance

andromache

Record Breaker

I agree that all elite coaches are tough, demanding, and strict with their athletes. But being "nice" and respecting your athletes and caring about their well-being isn't mutually exclusive with being a tough, demanding, strict elite coach. You can do both.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I agree that all elite coaches are tough, demanding, and strict with their athletes. But being "nice" and respecting your athletes and caring about their well-being isn't mutually exclusive with being a tough, demanding, strict elite coach. You can do both.

I believe so too. To continue using Sasha Cohen as an example: her most demanding coach was TAT she really made her work harder that ever before, at the same time she was also most caring and most involved in all the aspects of Sasha's training and beyond. TAT was against Sasha competing with a high fever (and she was right as Sasha developed some immune system weakness as a result and never recovered completely) whereas her own mother was pushing her to compete (and at a minor pro event!) TAT was very upset when Sasha didn't get enough rest between practices or did something silly like a shopping spree in Paris between SP & LP or baking all night and not able to practice the following day... All I am saying as yourself that being strict not necessarily cancelling caring and respect

To Eteri's advocates: Eteri herself did a lot to turn people against her, if you follow her interviews it is hard to like her attitude to her students as products of some manufacturing process. She seems to have a hell of temper too, so not a nice person to be around I feel

Giver

Rinkside
You see, with Eteri there is a pattern. Yulia, Adian, Evgenia, Polina S. They all leave her and Eteri talks badly about them afterwards.

Pluschenko about Sima: "She turned her back on me" (it was way more rude in Russian).
Goncharenko about Lena: "I don't want to gloat but Lena got what she wanted".
And I don't even want to remember what Mishin was saying about Yagudin.

But no, nobody hates Pluschenko, Goncharenko and Mishin, because... because why? Even though Eteri actually never said anything THAT bad about her former skaters.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Pluschenko about Sima: "She turned her back on me" (it was way more rude in Russian).

But no, nobody hates Pluschenko, Goncharenko and Mishin, because... because why? Even though Eteri actually never said anything THAT bad about her former skaters.

I don‘t think that it was nice what they said and I never stated that. And again.. I do not hate Eteri, I just find that some things she does aren‘t okay at all. Nothing “that bad“? So, revealing private conversations with your student isn‘t bad? Showing screenshots and accusing someone on national television isn‘t bad? Saying that somebody was lazy and didn‘t want to work even though he was INJURED, isn‘t bad? Eteri is no devil but she is certainly no saint either. What she did there was pretty, pretty bad if you ask me. I just don‘t get why you can‘t acknowledge that she has faults? And just because others did bad things, too, doesn‘t make it better what she did. These are all separate cases. :shrug:

Tutto

Record Breaker

Please look up this thread, the link to the interview is there as well:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?64334&p=1729250#post1729250

Eteri literally said no single good thing about anyone in that interview - quite shocking and revealing about herself most of all

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker

You must not have been lurking long, else you'd know the general opinion of Plushenko here is not that rosy.
Practically none of us know Eteri in real life, she could be very different to the way she comes off as in her interviews. But you have no right to demand that everyone has to like her, and you'll never convince them to by saying "everyone thinks she's the devil!!!1!!" because that's just annoying.

Giver

Rinkside
So, revealing private conversations with your student isn‘t bad?

Don't you think that this "private conversation" also was bad? Or is it some kind of Russian prison mentality where "stukach" (person who informed police about crime) is worse that person who commited that crime? But that's way off topic.

Saying that somebody was lazy and didn‘t want to work even though he was INJURED, isn‘t bad?

Adian himself said that he is lazy and had problems with his back since early childhood. But Eteri haters doesn't care about Adian actually.

And just because others did bad things, too, doesn‘t make it better what she did. These are all separate cases.

Because they were never called out for all of this. They are not scapegoats like Eteri.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Don't you think that this "private conversation" also was bad? Or is it some kind of Russian prison mentality where "stukach" (person who informed police about crime) is worse that person who commited that crime? But that's way off topic.

Oh come on. This comparison doesn't make sense and you know it. And to answer your question: Yes, I think it wasn't nice what Evgenia said (if she said it at all). But I don't care about it because as I said, private conversations are supposed to be and stay like that: PRIVATE. And have you never said something bad about somebody else you later regretted? I doubt it because if you didn't you would be an angel and nobody is. So please stop with this. It's 1) off-topic and 2) simply ridiculous.:noshake:

Adian himself said that he is lazy and had problems with his back since early childhood. But Eteri haters doesn't care about Adian actually.

Well, I can only say that I personally would hate to be called lazy by my coach in an interview. I would also hate if said coach was talking badly about my parents. :disapp:

Because they were never called out for all of this. They are not scapegoats like Eteri.

Well, no offense but this is the last I'm going to say in this discussion because it just doesn't make sense talking about the same stuff again and again. You just don't listen. We all tell you that we don't hate Eteri, yet again you call us haters. You asked why some were disapproving of her, I gave you examples. That's it. I don't particularly like Eteri for what she's done in the past but I don't mind her either. She is currently undoubtedly the best female ladies coach in the world and she has done a lot for figure skating in Russia. We don't know her so she may very well be different from what we see and hear in interviews, we simply cannot know it. But we can talk about things she says and does and it doesn't make us haters. And I call out everyone who talks badly about their students, not only Eteri. But I would say we agree to disagree here and everything's fine, okay? :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Again the "Eteri good coach vs Eteri bad coach"? Seriously, the season didn't even really start yet:laugh:

When i saw the new pages i thought it was because the name of Panenkova's new coach was revealed.

SkySkater

On the Ice
Another option could be that she has gone back to her original coach at Sambo (she only moved to Eteri in 2016) as she is still listed as one of the coaches though she doesn’t have any current pupils listed (which may mean she has retired or doesn’t have any high profile skaters). This would be also an internal change so easy to manage though and her coach must be at least somewhat talented to have gotten her to the level she is at even if they don’t tend to coach senior skaters.

skatingfan200

Medalist

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Why this have to be so secret? When other skaters of team Tutberidze left, the name of the new coach was known the same day or a few days later.

You're not new. It says you registered in 2016. C'mon, yume.

Well, it doesn't hurt to hope sometimes.:biggrin: