Ilia Malinin and sensitivity training | Golden Skate

Ilia Malinin and sensitivity training

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
From Ilia's IG story:

"Hello everyone, just wanted to update you guys after last week.
In an effort to learn from my mistakes and move forward, U.S. Figure Skating has encouraged me to take a sensitivity training to help me grow and better understand the LGBQT+ community and other underserved people.
I apologize to all those affected by my comment. I hope to learn and grow from this."
Can someone tell me about this? what was it he said or did?

TheChimster

Rinkside

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

DancingCactus

Final Flight
So it's finally caught up with him? Although I doubt a little bit of sensitivity training is going to help with the attitude that must have led him to make these comments. It's what they always do with problematic people. A bit of sensitivity training and then half a year later they 'slip up' again.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't think that's a fair assumption. Ilia is young, was thrust into the spotlight rather quickly because of his athletic ability, and it's not a fan's place to judge when we don't know all the facts. He made a mistake, he apologized and he's doing something about it. I prefer to "wait and see" and not condemn him before he has a chance to "grow!"

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So it's finally caught up with him? Although I doubt a little bit of sensitivity training is going to help with the attitude that must have led him to make these comments. It's what they always do with problematic people. A bit of sensitivity training and then half a year later they 'slip up' again.
Well, we can at least agree that sensitivity training is a joke. Absolutely useless. These "learning opportunities" aggravate way more people than they impact positively. My workplace has almost uncountable training sessions for sexual harassment, for example. Click-click-click and they're done, but they still piss me off. As a grown man in my workplace, I hardly need quarterly online click-abouts featuring cartoon characters to know not to sexually harass a woman. If other grown men don't know this, then the corrective action is immediate firing.

The primary value of sensitivity training is to serve as a "get out of jail card" or a "don't blame us, we provided training" excuse in the event of a lawsuit.

The real story is that Ilia is being punished, made to sit in the corner. Depending on one's point of view, this is justified or not. I happen to think "not" but reasonable opinions can vary.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, we can at least agree that sensitivity training is a joke. Absolutely useless. These "learning opportunities" aggravate way more people than they impact positively. My workplace has almost uncountable training sessions for sexual harassment, for example. Click-click-click and they're done, but they still piss me off. As a grown man in my workplace, I hardly need quarterly online click-abouts featuring cartoon characters to know not to sexually harass a woman. If other grown men don't know this, then the corrective action is immediate firing.

The primary value of sensitivity training is to serve as a "get out of jail card" or a "don't blame us, we provided training" excuse in the event of a lawsuit.

The real story is that Ilia is being punished, made to sit in the corner. Depending on one's point of view, this is justified or not. I happen to think "not" but reasonable opinions can vary.
This might be off-topic, but at my last workplace, it wasn't cartoon character, they were different shapes with big eyes, eyelashes, bows, etc.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
I don't think that's a fair assumption. Ilia is young, was thrust into the spotlight rather quickly because of his athletic ability, and it's not a fan's place to judge when we don't know all the facts. He made a mistake, he apologized and he's doing something about it. I prefer to "wait and see" and not condemn him before he has a chance to "grow!"
I love that Boitano is standing up for Ilia and Nathan: ā€œI said the same kinds of things when I was their age ā€” and I was gay. So if we had had Instagram Live back then, I mean, who knows what I would have said?ā€ - Brian Boitano
We all say dumb things that we have to apologize for. Especially when we are young and still processing mixed messages from our national culture, our family culture, and our own developing minds. It's a point of friction where nobody, especially someone so young, should be pushed into a defensive corner. I'm sorry for Ilia that he had to go through this so publicly, but really hope he can come to a genuinely comfortable feeling of his own expression on the ice and refining his performance quality - understanding that there is nothing inherently gay or straight about skating components - rather than just feeling, 'this is how I need to be seen if I want to win.'

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love that Boitano is standing up for Ilia and Nathan: ā€œI said the same kinds of things when I was their age ā€” and I was gay. So if we had had Instagram Live back then, I mean, who knows what I would have said?ā€ - Brian Boitano
We all say dumb things that we have to apologize for. Especially when we are young and still processing mixed messages from our national culture, our family culture, and our own developing minds. It's a point of friction where nobody, especially someone so young, should be pushed into a defensive corner. I'm sorry for Ilia that he had to go through this so publicly, but really hope he can come to a genuinely comfortable feeling of his own expression on the ice and refining his performance quality - understanding that there is nothing inherently gay or straight about skating components - rather than just feeling, 'this is how I need to be seen if I want to win.'
The right music and moves can definitely help elevate performances for him. I LOVE the Billie Jean program he did. I know that some don't like the cover, and they're entitled to their opinion on that, but I feel like it was RIGHT for him. I have so many ideas for SP/FP for him. Includes MCR and the Halo theme song for ideas.

I'm glad he's getting support from other skaters. And believe me, I have said stuff at 18-19 that I CRINGE now looking back. Wanting to curl up into a ball and hide thinking about some stuff. But that's a part of growing up. And that's what's going to happen to him. No one is perfect in saying the right things or doing the right things all the time. But we change and grow. I'm happy on how I've grown and changed up to now, at almost 28 years old. Hopefully Ilia within the next few years will think the same on himself.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Wow, the support for Ilia here is big. I'm not someone who wants to drag a young guy around on social media because he said things he shouldn't have said, I'm far from perfect myself, but I would have hoped that at least the same amount of empathy that you guys have for Ilia you would have for the skaters he disparaged. "stop being so sensitive and grow some backbone" and stuff like that is definitely not the right reply to me.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes. He is young. Yes, no need to hold a grudge over this comment as far as I am concerned, a gay man. This being said, he should know better... many kids his age and even younger are more respectful of others and much better educated about topics of gender and identity. However, saying that his components would get higher if he were gay is ridiculous. I would invite him to watch programs of Shoma, Patrick and Kurt for starters. It definitely says a lot more about what he thinks of the sport and it does make me sad. If he needs a sensitivity training, it would be about being sensitive to the music, to the details of his choreo, sensitive to his body position and so on.. That may get him higher scores... nothing to do with whom he fancies or not.

Magill

Record Breaker
Yes. He is young. Yes, no need to hold a grudge over this comment as far as I am concerned, a gay man. This being said, he should know better... many kids his age and even younger are more respectful of others and much better educated about topics of gender and identity. However, saying that his components would get higher if he were gay is ridiculous. I would invite him to watch programs of Shoma, Patrick and Kurt for starters. It definitely says a lot more about what he thinks of the sport and it does make me sad. If he needs a sensitivity training, it would be about being sensitive to the music, to the details of his choreo, sensitive to his body position and so on.. That may get him higher scores... nothing to do with whom he fancies or not.
So very true. Yet what worries me is a tendency here to see him as a victim while in fact his remarks were a dig at very concrete skaters who have been very kind to him from their side and whose names are now dragged along all the SNMs along with his. They are the true innocent victims here and I give them the right to decide for themselves if they want to hold a grudge or not, and how they judge this whole incident and perceive his intentions. None of us can decide it for them and we should not even try. This is mainly between him and these other skaters. It is to them that he should most of all apologize, not to the federation or - with all due respect - fans. The latter is just PR and business, nothing more.
I just hope he did.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Also, this was his original ā€˜apology statementā€™. Brennanā€™s article only contained his letter to USFS, but he posted this on his IG story after the incident (screenshot from Reddit)
1684101962438.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.