New problem with video ad | Golden Skate

New problem with video ad

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have been having a new problem with the video ad that is in the middle-right of the screen. It appears each time I change pages or reload. I have to close it, as it covers so much of the screen that I can't read anything if it is there.

Anyway, my new problem is that often when I point to the button to close it, the ad changes, the close button moves, and instead of closing the ad, I open a new tab with the ads contents. Then I have to close the new tab, go back to the original one, and try again. It's like playing whack-a-mole. This is getting really, really annoying.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been having a new problem with the video ad that is in the middle-right of the screen. It appears each time I change pages or reload. I have to close it, as it covers so much of the screen that I can't read anything if it is there.

Anyway, my new problem is that often when I point to the button to close it, the ad changes, the close button moves, and instead of closing the ad, I open a new tab with the ads contents. Then I have to close the new tab, go back to the original one, and try again. It's like playing whack-a-mole. This is getting really, really annoying.
We have always had a video ad at that location. It was temporarily removed for one week and put back a few days ago.

The ad displays differently in each device and platform. What device are you using and what is the browser and version?

Also, before you "click", let the page download so you are not redirected. Is the ad "hiding" the "reply or post" button on your device/computer?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
We have always had a video ad at that location. It was temporarily removed for one week and put back a few days ago.

The ad displays differently in each device and platform. What device are you using and what is the browser and version?

Also, before you "click", let the page download so you are not redirected. Is the ad "hiding" the "reply or post" button on your device/computer?
I'm using chrome on a chromebook laptop. I don't know how to check the software version, but the whole thing is less than a year old. Chromebooks are usually pretty robust.

It shows the preview of the H/B interview (with an X button), but after I point to the X, it changes to an ad and the X moves up. If I hover on the original X for a few seconds, the window will change from the interview to an ad and the X will move, then I can click on its new position without opening a new tab. The problem happens when I click too quickly, without hovering and waiting for the change.

This wouldn't be so bad except it happens on EVERY screen.

The lower ad, which sometimes can't be closed (or still blocks part of the screen after it's closed), sometimes covers my "Post reply" button, leaving me with a typed reply and no visible way of posting it! In that case, zooming out on the screen can cause the Post reply button to appear.

Edited to add: the video ad covers the entire right-hand side of my screen. If I scroll very carefully, I can just see one line of text between the fixed headers and the lower ad.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@NanaPat my ads are always on (both desktop and laptop). I haven't had any issues with the ad covering any "reply"? If you see this happen, can you take a screen shot and send to me?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I can't seem to reproduce the "covered up post reply button" effect. If it happens again, I'll try to take a screen shot.

Right now, it is sometimes hidden by the lower ad, but I can bring it into sight by scrolling.

I believe other people have reported the problem in the past.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe other people have reported the problem in the past.
We are just addressing you as this is your ticket.

As long as you can post, reply, etc., that's what is important. I check all my browsers (five), my laptop, my PC, my androids, my pads/notebooks, my phone, etc. (on a regular basis) to test to ensure these work.

Please let me know if the ads prevent you from using the features. "Closing" an ad to use a feature is not a problem, but can be a nuisance for those who have smaller devices.

There is always the option to purchase a premium bundle.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
We are just addressing you as this is your ticket.

As long as you can post, reply, etc., that's what is important. I check all my browsers (five), my laptop, my PC, my androids, my pads/notebooks, my phone, etc. (on a regular basis) to test to ensure these work.

Please let me know if the ads prevent you from using the features. "Closing" an ad to use a feature is not a problem, but can be a nuisance for those who have smaller devices.

There is always the option to purchase a premium bundle.
Having to close an ad is not a problem. Not being able to close it, or having it leave a ghostly footprint that blocks buttons can be a problem. If it takes 10 minutes and much head-scratching and machinations to find a button, is that a problem? It certainly doesn't encourage posting!

The reason the ads take up so much real estate on my screen is that I have a relatively small screen (laptop) and large font to accomodate my aging eyesight. I noticed it's easy to read around them on my husband's big-screen computer. Not so on my laptop. They take up all the useful space on my screen, so I HAVE to close them, especially the video.

Have you been able to see the WACK-A-MOLE properties of the current video ads?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The reason the ads take up so much real estate on my screen is that I have a relatively small screen (laptop) and large font to accomodate my aging eyesight. I noticed it's easy to read around them on my husband's big-screen computer. Not so on my laptop. They take up all the useful space on my screen, so I HAVE to close them, especially the video.
I'm afraid I can't help with the laptop issue as that is a "display" issue. I can view the forum just fine on my small iphone although I do have to close the ad every page. I have not changed any settings on my display on my laptop or other devices, but when I have them zoomed in on a browser, that can affect things.

Have you been able to see the WACK-A-MOLE properties of the current video ads?

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here? Can you please be more specific in your question?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here? Can you please be more specific in your question?
I was referring to the original problem I reported: with the latest video, when I point at the X to close the video pop-up, the video changes and the X moves, so I wind up opening the ad in another tab instead of closing the pop-up. Then I have to both close the new tab and close the original pop-up. Trying to close the pop-up by clicking on that oh-so-tantalizing X makes me WORSE off than if I hadn't tried to close it at all.

A target that moves as soon as you try to point to it reminds reminds me of the colloquial phrase "whac-a-mole", which is based on an old arcade game of the same name.

I found this by googling
"The term "whac-a-mole" (or "whack-a-mole") is used colloquially to depict a situation characterized by a series of repetitious and futile tasks, where the successful completion of one just yields another popping up elsewhere."

Pointing at the pop-up's X and waiting several seconds before I click on it does minimize the number of extra tabs I open. Or to put it colloquially, the number of moles I have to whac.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it one ad in particular? Or all of them? I'm not able to replicate this issue on my end.

Again, please send a screen shot so we can look into it.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You need to compare 2 screen shots to see the problem.

I have the screenshots on my computer as .png files but I don't know how to post them. Post image wants a URL.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe if I describe it in detail, you can see it for yourself.

There is a pop-up video on the right hand side of the screen, with "Top stories" in the upper left and an X (to close pop-up) in the upper right.

This pop-up changes (randomly or if you point at it) to a different image with "AD" on the upper left and an X (to close pop-up) in the upper right.

The X for the "top stories" version doesn't line up with the X on the "AD" version.

Because the X's don't line up, if you move your cursor to an X and click on it, the screen flips to the other version and you are clicking in the wrong place.

In particular, going for the X on the "top stories" version seems to ALWAYS make the screen change and the X move, which means you are ALWAYS clicking in the wrong place, which means you ALWAYS get a new tab with the ad.

The only way to avoid the new tab is to move your cursor to the X on the "top stories" version, wait until it flips to the "AD" version, move the cursor to the new position of the X, and then click.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can you tell me if the same problem happens when you bring your display back to normal view with "normal" fonts?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes, it does. The pop-up is relatively smaller and lower on the screen, but the X is still in different positions relative to the pop-up rectangle. On the "AD" version it is in the upper-right corner of the rectangle. In the "top stories" version it is a bit lower and to the left of that same corner. I believe the rectangle itself is in the same place, but the X has moved within the rectangle.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, it does. The pop-up is relatively smaller and lower on the screen, but the X is still in different positions relative to the pop-up rectangle. On the "AD" version it is in the upper-right corner of the rectangle. In the "top stories" version it is a bit lower and to the left of that same corner. I believe the rectangle itself is in the same place, but the X has moved within the rectangle.
Thank you for the images you sent. It appears that they are extremely "blown up" or "zoomed in". I just want to clarify that this at "100%" and not "125, 150, etc"?

I'm not able to see the scroll bar on the right of your screen. When you use this scroll bar, the ads should not move while you go up and down the page?

Also, the ads should not be over-lapping. There is one video ad in the right corner and sticky ad at the bottom. Can you please completely clear your browser cache so that any "older" images/files are cleared and try again.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thank you for the images you sent. It appears that they are extremely "blown up" or "zoomed in". I just want to clarify that this at "100%" and not "125, 150, etc"?

I'm not able to see the scroll bar on the right of your screen. When you use this scroll bar, the ads should not move while you go up and down the page?

Also, the ads should not be over-lapping. There is one video ad in the right corner and sticky ad at the bottom. Can you please completely clear your browser cache so that any "older" images/files are cleared and try again.
That is at my normal zoom, which is 150%. Those are not old ads, that's what my screen regularly looks like, with all the overlapping, etc, though usually the bottom ad is just a strip across the bottom.
I could get cataract surgery, or buy a new computer, or go away or die, but so far I have just been living with the screen the way it is. That's what it looks like for me. Always.

At the moment the bottom of my screen shows no less than 4 Xs. I could keep clicking on them until I find the magic one that closes that ad, but sometimes NONE of them work, so I usually don't bother with that one. But I absolutely NEED to close the video ad, or I can't see anything. It's extremely frustrating that when I try to close that, my target keeps moving.

The ads don't move when I scroll, but as you can see they are so large that there is only a tiny strip of non-ad that I can scroll content into.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I mean is that we tweaked the script. In order for you to see the new script, you will have to clear your browser cache history.

I'm afraid that is all that we can do though as you have made adjustments on your side that we cannot control.