Random Confessions | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Random Confessions

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
American regional grammatical differences account for many of the things mentioned above. While not correct overall, many do not know any better because they are taught this from a young age and many never get out of their areas of birth where the incorrect things embedded in them.

Example: People in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA area tend to say "yinz" a lot. Yinz=You or you all.

I am not from Pittsburgh, but know these things because I've sort of studied it. And I've also observed this being said many times lol!

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't blame you for being upset. Paying good money to be educated in something, and then finding there were grammatical errors. :mad:

CaroLiza_fan

Well, that was a long time ago when I had only read proper English, in books, magazines, and on newspapers. And then, I was unimpressed by a suitor's English in his letters. It was not until internet became popular that I became exposed to non professional writings in English and realized such errors were common and quite accepted by the general public.

These days, I would be less judgemental and not get as distracted from the course contents. :)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It drives me nuts when people write "would of" instead of "would have". Do you have any idea how long it has taken me to even figure out what this is supposed to mean and that it's intentional and not just some kind of very, very weird typo!? :palmf:

I didn't even know there is "would of"... :shocked: I use "would have" from time to time, though I'm not sure if correctly :) The only thing that drives me crazy grammatically is reading YT comments... :hopelessness: One or two misspeling is okay, happen to everyone. Ironically, foreigners have often better grammar than natives, from my observations of Internet (can't really tell about not virtual world).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Two others that bug me: y'all and "what all".

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am still in shock after Sherlock season 4 finale. Confused and disappointed at the silliness of the writers.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I am still in shock after Sherlock season 4 finale. Confused and disappointed at the silliness of the writers.

Same. I kind of regret watching Sherlock after Season 2. I really liked the cases, it was exciting. Now I feel like there is nothing but melodrama.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I will join you in being sad about the latest Sherlock season. -Maybe writers got tired and just did the last one to troll viewers. :palmf: I have a pretty high tolerance for cheesyness, but it's too much this time.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I will join you in being sad about the latest Sherlock season. -Maybe writers got tired and just did the last one to troll viewers. :palmf: I have a pretty high tolerance for cheesyness, but it's too much this time.
It's not even logical at all. Anyone explain to me the teleportation? Like how can you move 3 grown up men from a remote island in the middle of the ocean to the countryside of England?
And like how convenient it is that a psychopath can easily give up everything just because the time is running out? Like... seriously I can even write something better than that. :hopelessness:

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's not even logical at all. Anyone explain to me the teleportation? Like how can you move 3 group up men from a remote island in the middle of the ocean to the countryside of England?
And like how convenient it is that a psychopath can easily give up everything just because the time is running out? Like... seriously I can even write something better than that. :hopelessness:

There were too many things wrong. :( Confession: I like super cheesy shows like Pushing Daisies. :laugh:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
It's not even logical at all. Anyone explain to me the teleportation? Like how can you move 3 grown up men from a remote island in the middle of the ocean to the countryside of England?
Well they did say that they had been unconscious for hours, didn't they? And I suppose they could have had one or two helicopters at the ready? Seemed to be a pretty elaborate plan that would have needed a lot of, well... planning :biggrin:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
American regional grammatical differences account for many of the things mentioned above. While not correct overall, many do not know any better because they are taught this from a young age and many never get out of their areas of birth where the incorrect things embedded in them.

Example: People in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA area tend to say "yinz" a lot. Yinz=You or you all.

I am not from Pittsburgh, but know these things because I've sort of studied it. And I've also observed this being said many times lol!

Although, as someone who has spent a fair amount of time in the Western half of my great Commonwealth, with family there now, the actual spelling of "yinz" is "you'uns". And the vowels sounds hover between "I" and "U".

As in "Do you'uns want some pop before I red up the house?" A sentence that makes perfect sense to Pittsburghers but not Philadelphians.

Go Steelers:hap10:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't watch Sherlock.

Actually, I don't watch a lot of TV, period. It's all brainless junk like those stupid "reality" shows, moronic TV series that have ridiculous plots, and really, really stupid crap like that Kardashian idiocy.

I watch TV for sport. Sometimes I watch Air Crash Investigation. Or Seconds to Disaster. Or Bondi Rescue. But that's about it.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I don't even have a TV :roll9: well technically I have one. But I've used it as a computer monitor for the past 7 years, so I don't think it remembers that it's supposed to be a TV

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't even have a TV :roll9: well technically I have one. But I've used it as a computer monitor for the past 7 years, so I don't think it remembers that it's supposed to be a TV

Neither do I. Not since I got rid of the analog ones. I used to watch a few shows online but have not done so at all this season.
Can't even stand most of the headlines and featured stories about celebrities on MSN home page. Why would I care about those reality show stars and people in some way related to celebrities so they get on the headlines as so-and-so's somebody?

MeineKatze

On the Ice
Confession:
I love Crocs shoes. I am a college student and I spent last summer and fall mostly wearing my crocs. For me they are soooooo cute, casual, neat, comfortable and have unique design. I was really surprised to find out that crocs are hated by the majority of people and i still don't understand the hate. #JusticeforCrocs #Justice4Harambe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I must confess........I understand the logic behind "try and" although not always.

If I'm about to jump off of a cliff with my snowboard strapped to my feet I think it is just fine to discuss the potential outcomes with my friend who is encouraging me to huck my body down a 15 ft drop onto steep terrain with trees only a few feet away from the landing zone. With the potential for disaster or success I do indeed envision myself looking to my friend after discussing several scenarios and saying "I'll try and see". It makes perfect sense in that situation to my mind. I'll try most certainly and we'll see the result.

If my friend says "there looks to be a huge tree skier's right that you need to avoid" I might say something like "I'll head up and try to see it".

Does that make sense?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
As in "Do you'uns want some pop before I red up the house?" A sentence that makes perfect sense to Pittsburghers but not Philadelphians.

Is there are big Irish population in Pittsburg and not in Philadelphia by any chance? Because that sentence is pure Ulster-Scots!

I can just hear an Ulsterwoman saying that to her children!

Apart from the "pop". We would never call soft drinks "pop". More likely "min'rals".

CaroLiza_fan

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Is there are big Irish population in Pittsburg and not in Philadelphia by any chance? Because that sentence is pure Ulster-Scots!

I can just hear an Ulsterwoman saying that to her children!

Apart from the "pop". We would never call soft drinks "pop". More likely "min'rals".

CaroLiza_fan

There's always been a large population of Polish, Czech, German, Slovak, Italian, Romanian, Austrian, etc. in Pittsburgh.
Philadelphia OTOH has more Irish, due to the immigration fleeing the famine in the 1840's.

Last edited: