Random Confessions

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Awww, you don't know what you're missing! Here's the address:

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

Please be aware that not every settlement has a sightings page. With that in mind, I would not advise a first timer to use the search facility, as chances are the specific place you are in isn't on it (my home town isn't). If you're new, it's better to zoom in on the map to see what places they do have a sightings page for in your general area. Then click on the pin point that is nearest you, and then click the link to get to it's sightings page.
They do have my small city. Their map shows Vancouver and Surrey, with a river between them. Richmond, where I live, occupies an island in the river halfway between the two larger cities. (Actually it's all one sprawling Greater Vancouver area with no spaces between the peripheral suburbs.)
But the space station is a very bright dot that moves in a straight line across the sky. And you can tell the difference between it and an aeroplane, because the aeroplane has flashing lights. The space station doesn't.
That I'm used to. Richmond shares the island with the Vancouver airport. We see planes of all sizes, night and day, going east-west across the north edge of town -- unless there's bad weather and they have to use the extra runway, in which case the planes go north-south overhead, but high enough that they're not noisy.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't know if this counts as General Chat, but I'll put it here for now.

As if I wasn't spending enough time at the club, what with skating on the ice and on the roller floor, I just signed up for fencing lessons, a sport I got one of my big brothers to teach me when he took it up in university. Not that my current skating partner and I are planning on making a sort of past-centuries version of Fear and Gibson's Rocky, but we started trying to remember skaters who had done pantomimed sword-fighting programs. There was Brian Boitano in his Napoleon program in 1988, and Paul Wylie as Henry V in 1992. My partner remembered Philippe Candeloro playing d'Artagnan in 1998. Any others we've forgotten?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

As if I wasn't spending enough time at the club, what with skating on the ice and on the roller floor, I just signed up for fencing lessons, a sport I got one of my big brothers to teach me when he took it up in university.
My sister does fencing with the little local club (she's out at the minute hitting folk with swords) and a few years ago I bought her a bag and drink bottle to take with the following logo...
2018-11-10 fencing 1b.jpg

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

As if I wasn't spending enough time at the club, what with skating on the ice and on the roller floor, I just signed up for fencing lessons, a sport I got one of my big brothers to teach me when he took it up in university. Not that my current skating partner and I are planning on making a sort of past-centuries version of Fear and Gibson's Rocky, but we started trying to remember skaters who had done pantomimed sword-fighting programs. There was Brian Boitano in his Napoleon program in 1988, and Paul Wylie as Henry V in 1992. My partner remembered Philippe Candeloro playing d'Artagnan in 1998. Any others we've forgotten?
Smart and Diaz Zorro (complete with sound effects at approximately 2:00, 3:50 and 4:10). But watch the whole thing: this video is new to me, but is the best version I've ever seen, especially the sound.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Smart and Diaz Zorro (complete with sound effects at approximately 2:00, 3:50 and 4:10). But watch the whole thing: this video is new to me, but is the best version I've ever seen, especially the sound.

Oh, my partner's going to wish you hadn't showed me that :palmf: ! I hadn't been thinking in terms of couples who've used fencing, just singles, but that has given me choreographic ideas and I haven't even started lessons yet, just ordered my foil and bought the facemask and padded jacket. (Now trying to remember if I still have a tape of the music my old partner and I used in competition, the overture to Man of La Mancha. We didn't get filmed in practice sessions in my day, but listening to our old music brings the choreography back to mind........) Thank you! You're right, the sound is much better quality there!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
The other evening after supper I sat down to catch up with a BBC series Beyond Paradise; the main characters were having a dinner conversation debating the pros/cons of an issue when the male lead commented “It’s a bit like imagining Donald Trump ice skating.. “.. I choked on my tea😳🤭😹