Short Track Speed Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Short Track Speed Skating

MiRé

Match Penalty
ISU really doesnt want Korea to medal. 3 top korean men in the same quaterfinals 1000m.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I don't blame them. Short track has controversies every Olympics and unfortunately Korean skaters are always receiving undeserved treatments. Kim Boutin should have been DQed as well for pushing Choi but the call only went to the Korean skater. Plus, Kim Boutin was notorious for using aggressive hands during this Olympics. She only made the final heat from others being penalized, when in fact Boutin should be penalized as well.

Kim Boutin also caused Britain's Elise Christie's crash...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43042999

It keep happening to her, happened last Olympics too, exactly same thing. At least she won't get death threat this time round... and had a nice turn around.
Seems Boutin should have been disqualified.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Kim Boutin also caused Britain's Elise Christie's crash...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43042999

It keep happening to her, happened last Olympics too, exactly same thing. At least she won't get death threat this time round... and had a nice turn around.
Seems Boutin should have been disqualified.

:laugh:Well, of course the BBC would say someone else "caused" Brit. Christie's crash - they're British. That's where the referees come into play, and it's shameful for these fervent "fans" sent abuse and death threats to an athlete !

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
I watched a little bit and have no understanding of short track speed skating whatsoever, but all the calls and the no-calls really make figure skating look like some kind of angel with the transparency of score sheets. That's why I prefer to watch speed skating more. Probably not as exciting as seeing skaters neck to neck, but at least at least it's civilized, and with good sportsmanship to boot :dance3:

MiRé

Match Penalty
I watched a little bit and have no understanding of short track speed skating whatsoever, but all the calls and the no-calls really make figure skating look like some kind of angel with the transparency of score sheets. That's why I prefer to watch speed skating more. Probably not as exciting as seeing skaters neck to neck, but at least at least it's civilized, and with good sportsmanship to boot :dance3:

I totally agree! I prefer speed skating to short track, but i have to say, the Olympic spirits really surrounds short track more than it does on speed skating

Hojoon Shin

Spectator
I totally agree with you. What Koreans blamed is that her action that she didn't seem any regrets about pushing Choi first. Of course, this is judges faults that giving a penalty to the wrong athlete. Unfortunately, these things are happening often. For example, Anton Ohno's action to Kim in 2002, penalty to Korean women relay team in Vancouver 2010, Figure skating Golden medal to Rusian athlete in Sochi 2014, and today Kim Boutin's pushing on Choi. Judges always generate the problem on every Olympics, especially to Korea team. IOC should check about this and make sure these things never happened again. Judges must not forget that they must judge fairly. However, Koreans should not cross-over the line to criticize Kim Boutin. They should more careful about that.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm still feeling bad for Viktor Ahn, has there been any info on that? Any evidence he did anything wrong? If I was him I'd be totally devastated.

On the other hand I am enjoying learning the dangers of using cotton buds in your ears thanks to Aussie new coverage, although considering the chap in question is now into the A Final I'm not sure if the message is quite right, LOL.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Choi Minjeong did really well. As soon as she started speeding up, she just flew past the rest.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Disaster for the Korean Men at the 1000m Men's Final! The Hungarian skater took down one of the Koreans - Han I think? and the other Korean - Seo? got distracted by the fray and went down too!

Fortunately Seo was able to get over the line in the third, but the Canadian Gerard and the guy from the US got gold and silver.

Man, short track takes no prisoners!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I still feel bad about Shim Suk-hee though.
I really wished she opted for less events at the least. Getting over the trauma of an assault takes a lot of time to heal especially when the attacker is someone you trusted.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Disaster for the Korean Men at the 1000m Men's Final! The Hungarian skater took down one of the Koreans - Han I think? and the other Korean - Seo? got distracted by the fray and went down too!

Fortunately Seo was able to get over the line in the third, but the Canadian Gerard and the guy from the US got gold and silver.

Man, short track takes no prisoners!

they should be the definition of the 'ice is slippery' :laugh:
It was a meh event in general. I was rooting for Charles and the Koreans mostly.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love this sport. Probably more than any other but figure Skating. The combination of "anything at all can happen at any moment" and Apolo Ono OhYes is just perfection.

jkun

Final Flight
This sport is too unpredictable and I hate that so much of the result depends on whether or not someone else screws up and knocks you out of the race. I'd hate to train for four years then get knocked out at the olympics by somebody being careless.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This sport is too unpredictable and I hate that so much of the result depends on whether or not someone else screws up and knocks you out of the race. I'd hate to train for four years then get knocked out at the olympics by somebody being careless.

I just have to assume they do it because they love it and realize stuff may happen. Can't imagine why else they would do it. If you're in heats and someone knocks you out they will advance you if they determine it was someone else's fault.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

On the plus side...it did result in the most epic of gold medals for Australia's own Steve Bradbury...no matter how many times I watch that moment it makes me smile! And of course he did train extremely hard (and got past a serious injury!) so it's not like he just rocked up.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I still feel bad about Shim Suk-hee though.
I really wished she opted for less events at the least. Getting over the trauma of an assault takes a lot of time to heal especially when the attacker is someone you trusted.

This is horrible!

I just looked it up and saw it was her own coach. Disgusting.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Wow, women's 3000 m relay was A MESS. Both Canadian and Chinese teams were disqualified. Chinese fans are all furious over Twitter. I like short track but the rules are so complicated. Still, congrats to KOR, ITA, NED for medaling.