Unusual music choices | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Unusual music choices

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Max's Tron immediately comes to mind. And Kim Lucine's Mario SP.

Also for positive reasons, D/W's Indian OD and negative reasons, D/S AbOriginal Dance. :laugh:

Also Krylova/Ovsiannikov's experimental FD that one season was very intriguing.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Many of P/B's programs were to pretty 'out there' stuff - an example being their 'The Little Prince and His Rose' or 'The Mummy and the Pharaoh.'

This did bite them in terms of points though. In my humble opinion, they were consistently underscored over the entire past quad. It really showed at Worlds this year. I guess their creativity made up for their falling out of favor with the judges - when they were 'too' creative :sarcasm:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Anna Pogorilaya also has had some unusual music choices: Mermaids from Pirates of the Caribbean and Oriental type music called Songs from the Victorious City by Anne Dudley.

Songs from the Victorious City was used by Maria Butyrskaya in 1996-97 and Alexander Abt in 1998-99 -- I vaguely think there was at least one other skater using it around that period but I can't think of who. In any case, it seems to be a known source of music among Russian skaters. Not overused, though.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Didn't Kevin Reynolds skate to a Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross mix a few years ago? (He really does look like Crono, hehe.)

And the Super Mario medley this season wasn't exactly traditional FS music, either.

I agree with what was mentioned earlier, would live some Uematsu-san Final Fantasy music sometime!

LRK

Record Breaker
Has Elena Radionova's SP to Nero from Two Steps From Hell been mentioned yet? Loved it. :)

ETA - Er... wasn't Adelina's Burlesque FP fairly unusual... ? (thank goodness... ) :slink:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Elena Radionova's SP to Nero from Two Steps From Hell been mentioned yet? Loved it. :)
I listen to that song on the way to the rink very frequently. :yes:

Interesting to note her FS song "Frida" by Rope is actually a jazz song. The whole album is fantastic and when you hear it in context to the rest of the album it's clear that it is jazz. I had thought it was a Latin band or something until I bought the album. As a muscician who studies jazz I found it interesting I was so easily fooled. It goes to show the range of jazz and points out the Latin influence on it.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Great thread, I already had a few nice flashbacks clicking on your links! :)
takahiko's 2011-12 lp: joe hisaishi's music! the soundtrack from studio ghibli's nausicaa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azKlGGypwT8 Takahiko Kozuka - 2011 Japanese Nationals FS uled by icechannel2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwR6LFXn2Co 2011 NHK Takahiko Kozuka LP B ESP2 uled by frida340 (lmao the commentator was raving about the music after he finished skating
his two better performances of this lp, never really skated it cleanly but i love the unusual music choice!
i wish more people would use japanese composers like joe hisaishi (ghibli soundtracks) and nobuo uematsu (final fantasy soundtracks, havent seen any skaters skate to his music, if anyone has please give me a link!!
Yes! I loved Nausicaa ever since watching the movie/anime as a child. Then I saw Chen Lu use it for her 1992/3 and 93/4 seasons, and my only regret back then was that I felt the "harder, more aggressive" music part at the end was too long... Takahiko got it perfectly right imo, I agree it's a pity there was no 100% clean program of it.

Songs from the Victorious City was used by Maria Butyrskaya in 1996-97 and Alexander Abt in 1998-99 -- I vaguely think there was at least one other skater using it around that period but I can't think of who. In any case, it seems to be a known source of music among Russian skaters. Not overused, though.
Alisa Drei (FIN) used it for her SP in 99 or 2000, but I couldn't find it on yt. She was Russian and took Finnish citizenship in 1994 (her mom moved to Finland to work as a coach)

Max Aaron and Carmen.
LOL - yeah, a pretty unusual musical choice... for him! Who'd have thought you could ever say that about Carmen, huh? ;)
Speaking of Max Aaron and unusual music choices, I'd suggest he'd consider skating to "drumbone" like Yoshie Onda in 2001/02 - seems a great choice for... athletic skaters ;)

My 2 cents:
- This is the perfect thread for me to get to mention Mojca Kopac for her 97/98 Pulp Fiction SP, her (...slightly irritating! ;) ) 95/96 Blue Danube by Malcolm McLaren SP, and her 2000/2002 Nomad SP (aboriginal tribal music including a didgeridoo, unfortunately not on yt).
This vid is quite new: her 2002/03 LP to Cirque du Soleil, loved that music too, the middle part to "ballare" was never used before afaik.
- btw, to add to the growing list of Blues for Klook skates: Mojca also skated to Blues for Klook for her 03/04 SP (too bad her clean ones aren't on yt, I think her Blues for Klook - made with Uschi Keszler - has the best arrangement in fs, the others seem somewhat botched to me in comparison). Idora Hegel in 2005-2007, and Andrejs Vlaschenko in 97/98 also used Blues for Klook.
- An unusual choice for classical music: I loved Lenka Kulovana's 91/92 SP to Mazurek for Violin & Orchestra in E minor Op.49 by Antonín Dvořák. I thought they did a gread job with the arrangement considering how difficult it is to cut that kind of piece down. Here's the music only (5:31 min) in case you want to listen to the whole thing, and/or if you're just tired of Carruthers describing every single position in the combo spin(and getting it wrong at the end!) and then the other guy thanking everybody he can think of... ;)

bunnychan

Rinkside
In competition:
- Shen/Zhao 2009-2010 SP violin instrumental of Queen's "Who Wants To Live Forever": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dySygNGsrRY The music itself doesn't sound weird, but it's still an unexpected choice
- Zhang Kexin 2011-2012 LP "En la cueva from 'Love, the Magician'": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVP2QXe3g84 This is both an odd choice and a quirky-sounding piece, but it suits her so well. I really wish she would have stuck with this kind of program rather than later trying to do the more typical programs
- Song Nan 2012-2014 SP mix of The Middle East Side's "Nihavent Longa" and "Double Doom Drum Solo": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn69C5KZfF4 This is one of my favorite programs ever. It's a very ethnic middle eastern piece heavy on the drums, atypical, but the choreo is spot-on.

And some not for competition ones:
- Shen/Zhao 2009 EX Roisin Murphy's "Ramalama": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHYTBkJYXow This was such a style change for them, and just in general a weird piece of music, but the program is really well done
- Song Nan 2011-2013 EX Globus's "Sarabande Suite Aeternae": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqqEsILNWA This is still one of my favorite EXs ever. I don't believe Globus is a super common choice, although musically it's not too strange.
- Johnny Weir 2010-2011 EX Richard Clayderman's "A Comme Amour" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvaN_aCbisg This is also not musically strange but is a pretty random song choice.

Weathergal

Medalist
Neat idea for a thread. In addition to some of the Pechalat and Bourzat choices mentioned earlier, I would add their 07-08 FD to
"Organ Donor" by DJ Shadow (also included "Marla" and "Space Monkeys" by Michael Simpson and John King) in which Nathalie played a person descending into madness with Fabian trying to rescue her. It sounds like something that no audience would embrace, but somehow they made it work.

And when someone mentioned Michal Brezina's Kodo Drums, I also thought of Drobiazko and Vanagas' 98-99 FD to "Sunrise at Alcatraz" by Deep Forest, which had a sort of tribal feel to it. Loved that program!