What happened to Christopher Caluza (PHI)? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What happened to Christopher Caluza (PHI)?

jace93

On the Ice
I agree ^^ His Instagram shows that he seems happy at where he is. Apparently he love food too.

I hear he choreographs his own programs. And before Four Continents, he changed his program from jazzy music to piano. Sounds impressive but hard to believe though. Because how can a skater not have a choreographer?

Both Jeremy Abbott and Joshua Farris have choreographed some of their programs the last few years

OMGFS

Rinkside
Yes I remember. Jeremy touched many hearts with his programs. Chris recently wished him luck for Skate America on twitter. And Michael is competing.

I have to say this though:

Best thing about the top Philippine men, is that they actually make their international debuts worth it. I have seen the other competitors compete for random countries, and I don't understand why some bother doing it if they are not even consistent. I've watched the Philippine teams skaters, and so far, the best skaters in the team is Michael, Chris, and Allison Periticho. I've been watching and researching with other skaters, and I don't understand why they are competing for the Philippines internationally. If you are going to compete for another country, you have to do it the best way. In other words, they have to step up if they want to be noticed like our top 2 men and 1 Lady.

Michael with an awesome debut at World Jrs. and Youth Olympics/Olympics For Philippines
Chris getting the first Senior medal, then making the top 12 in 4CC first time and top 24 in Worlds first time for Philippines.
And Allison, she did glorious in Jr. Worlds and she is qualified for worlds for Philippines

I don't know what happened to Melissa Bulanhagui, but she didn't do it with the best of intentions. And she created that drama with her and the federation, and she deserved what she got. Maverick, I don't understand what he is trying to accomplish. But I wish them all the best of luck.

OMGFS

Rinkside
I heard there was drama with Christopher and Michael. Does anyone know what happened?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chris posted a "goodbye" message on his Instagram. Seems he is going to go pro and not compete any longer. He says he has been feeling depressed and wants to leave San Diego to travel & do shows.

http://instagram.com/p/vSS9MmrM4V/

That's a very real and such a personal post. Wishing him success and happiness. Every adventure offers rewards and I hope he can recognize them and find his piece of the pie.

TBH....that's a tear jerker of a read :slink:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
That's very sad. :cry:
It's hard to hear that he feels he lacks support and that he is depressed. But at least he has been able to face what it is that he needs to do.
-Go in a different direction. He is still a young man with his whole life ahead of him. I hope he finds something that gives him great joy and happiness.

I remember that Elvis Stojko also went through a tough time when his skating career was just draining and he had to have a complete break from the sport. -Now he seems quite happy with his life.

Gambatte Christopher!

Last edited:

figureskateobasan

On the Ice
Omg.. this why it's very hard to be a figure skater from Southeast Asia. I wish him the best of luck for his future plans. Hopefully he could help promoting figure skating around Southeast Asia.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I was sad reading his post because I sensed he still harbors bitterness at not being chosen for the Olympics (he was instead named to represent the Philippines at 2014 Worlds).

In any case, I wish to thank Chris for representing our country well as seen in OMGFS' post. I think he can also have a second career as a choreographer.

foruiz

Final Flight
This is sad news indeed... So this is what it is about. I follow him in IG and I sensed that there was something in his posts. I wish him well and I hope that he finds himself in whatever path he would be taking.

flutz16

Match Penalty
very sad. its always nice for small federations to flourish. I guess he didn't get enough support from his fed and lack of money for training, I was hoping he would get another GP event maybe even stay until 2018. paying Morozov must be mortgage worthy amount but not enough I guess

iceberg

On the Ice
I think Chris is just being practical. Sometimes we have to think practical. FS sport is expensive. And you can never be the best if you don't get the best support system. Sports is money. And it's sometimes a sad truth.

Wishing the best in his future endeavors.

foruiz

Final Flight
very sad. its always nice for small federations to flourish. I guess he didn't get enough support from his fed and lack of money for training, I was hoping he would get another GP event maybe even stay until 2018. paying Morozov must be mortgage worthy amount but not enough I guess

I think you mistook Chris Caluza for Michael Martinez. Or did Chris train under Morozov too?

flutz16

Match Penalty
I think you mistook Chris Caluza for Michael Martinez. Or did Chris train under Morozov too?

sorry, I didnt look at the names correctly
I thought he was a prick who trolled in his twitter posting messages like at least I didn't pretend to be poor etc.
that was high trolling and provocative imo. good luck to him but he probabl could not compete with Martinez who is now like the Kim Yuna of his country
even with the lack of medals won.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I saw the tweet and it was a bit tacky, perhaps resentful, but I don't think we can fully judge someone's character by a handful of tweets. I'm sure his feelings were hurt and although I like MCM, I can see how the situation would look from Chris's side. He also tweeted his support for MCM on more than one occasion.

So much of one's success in figure skating depends on luck, timing, and other factors beyond one's control...so I feel bad for Chris. So he's an imperfect person and not an angel - who is?

cooper

Medalist
tacky?? are we talking about caluza's twitter account?? because if it is.. it's not really shocking.. i've read some of his posts in the past..

and he is like a :popcorn: ............. :slink: so i'm not really upset or sad that he is not skating for team philippines anymore..

krispy

Rinkside
tacky?? are we talking about caluza's twitter account?? because if it is.. it's not really shocking.. i've read some of his posts in the past..

and he is like a :popcorn: ............. :slink: so i'm not really upset or sad that he is not skating for team philippines anymore..

Well Nobody is perfect

But I think this is a reasonable move for him since Martinez' marks are going up and his popularity in the Philippines, and Cristopher without having a 3A I really don't see him getting sent to the worlds instead of Michael

unico

Final Flight
Wait, so there IS drama between Caluza and Martinez? I don't exactly pay close attention to either of their twitter accounts, although I think I follow both of them... But if Caluza is indeed suffering from depression or another mental affliction, then I'm not saying people should excuse his behavior or whatever malicious(?) things he might have said, but I think it offers insight into what he's feeling. I've seen some people express GLEE that Caluza retired and that to me is really appalling.