2016-2017 Programs by Discipline | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Programs by Discipline

Tutto

Record Breaker
Nothing wrong with Daphnes & Chloe in fact it is classical but not a workhorse - every reason to be overjoyed - BUT it is not Gracie!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

russianbratz

Match Penalty
I like Daphnis and Chloe which is why I'm not excited because I doubt that Gold will do it justice. I never find her interpretation strong.

It seems like a difficult piece for a figure skating program honestly. It'll be interesting to see how she manages it.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'll reserve judgement until I see the programs, but at present I'm skeptical about Assassin's Tango - too slow; I'd like to see something that utilises Gracie's speed, something with drive and momentum. I'm not familiar with Daphnis and Chloe, so have no opinion as to that.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Really it seems that this is more of the same thing we saw last year... just repainted. Did last year really work that well that they want stick with THAT formula? I mean it was better than the 2014-2015 season, but that is not saying much.

Last season was an ok attempt to try something better, but it was at most a step in the right direction... not the answer. Doing a reskin of last year just seems odd to me. Maybe they think keeping with something she is semi comfortable with she will have to adjust less.

I don't think the style that Frank and Lori are aiming for is that on point for Gracie and I think this will be more of the same missed mark. Maybe Gracie will rock it... but then again that might not suite these programs.

musicfan80

Medalist
Gracie Gold pr Instagram

SP: "Assassin's Tango" from Mr & Mrs Smith
FS: "Daphnis and Chloé" by Ravel

Yay or nay?

Overall, I'm meh until I see them. My biggest issue with Gracie's programs is that it seems a bit obvious that Lori doesn't talk to Gracie about WHY she likes certain pieces and how she feels when she listens to them. I could be wrong in my impression, though.

I hope this is going to be an actual tango this year for her.

I might get :laugh: or :rolleye: for posting this, but isn't a tango a hard dance to authentically pull off when you are doing it by yourself? I've always thought that the tango is a dance you REALLY need a partner for. I can't think of a singles skater who has really pulled off a tango program.

SP: Another tango after last season? Different music but a bit repetitive

I don't think being repetitive is necessarily bad for SPs - didn't Liz Manley always have waltzes for SPs? And how many years did we see Evan Lysacek do that España cañí SP - with. that. same. costume?

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold pr Instagram

SP: "Assassin's Tango" from Mr & Mrs Smith
FS: "Daphnis and Chloé" by Ravel

Yay or nay?

Just like last season, IMO. Which doesn't have to be a bad thing. She liked her programs and got some good performances out of them! Let's stop pretending her consistency problems have anything to do with her music or with Lori.

There's some epic parts of Daphnis and Chloe that will be amazing to see with dramatic Lori choreography. I hope she ignores the floatier parts of Daphnis and Chloe and goes straight for the drama.

Assassin's Tango will HOPEFULLY have some sexy-assassin-themed choreography. The music isn't amazing but it's a theme and character that Gracie could potentially rock.

keasus

On the Ice
Well the tango music is borderline elevator music to me but I'll hold my breath till I see what they've done with it.

I LOVE Daphnes and Chloe. Always wonder why it's not used more often. Once Robin Wagner got to the SLC cut of the music, combined with Rach, Sarah Hughes FS was divine.

Shudder:hopelessness: I just had a nightmare flashback.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I might get :laugh: or :rolleye: for posting this, but isn't a tango a hard dance to authentically pull off when you are doing it by yourself? I've always thought that the tango is a dance you REALLY need a partner for. I can't think of a singles skater who has really pulled off a tango program.

Tango (especially Argentine tango) is extremely difficult on land, let alone on ice. You can have sort of a tango "flair"but not a true tango. Yes, it is a partner dance.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Thanks for the update, but I am :scratch2: with Chafik's choice. I am assuming this is a cover of It's a Man's Man's Man's World by James Brown. I've yet to see a skater pull this off, not even Elladj, who I was way predisposed to like.

I hope Chafik proves me wrong.:biggrin:

I would indeed assume it is this cover.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Really it seems that this is more of the same thing we saw last year... just repainted. Did last year really work that well that they want stick with THAT formula?

Her tango? Of course it did. Gracie won the short program at Worlds with the highest component mark of any lady in the field. I prefer variety, but if you are looking for an SP that met the mark, #1 at the World Championships is pretty much the mark to hit.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I know... it pains me to come to terms with it, but that performance was incredible.

The music may remind some people of the ladies' event at Salt Lake City. I don't know whether the music can be an advantage for Gracie.

Last edited:
I never like Gracie's music choices, but this year I think they're perfect for her arm movements and competition nerves. Nobody else seems too thrilled, but I'm like omfg yay! lol Figures but yeah it's a yay from me.

I might change my mind once I see the programs though.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Kanako Murakami

SP: Carmen; choreographed by Mihoko Higuchi
FS: Tosca; choreographed by Mihoko Higuchi

source