2018 Europeans Mens FS | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Mens FS

AngelENTL

On the Ice
Personally, I am a fan of Javier's FS and I know I am in minority.

I'm in the minority with you then!

I think this program has the potential to be quite a masterpiece if skated to its full potential. I MUCH prefer it over his prior cheesy programs that were considered "charming" mainly b/c Javier is cute and could pull them off. This is an adult men's program, and I think it perfectly suits Javier. I am concerned, however, that he seems to lack the conditioning to give the program the oomph it needs to become a masterpiece. He is clearly DYING at the end of the program, and the labored step sequence and spins at the end show it. He looks to be in excellent shape; why does he seem to have problems getting through his long? It seems to be a chronic issue. Should we be questioning his training?

beki

Medalist
I think this program has the potential to be quite a masterpiece if skated to its full potential.

I agree that it could be. But in this cursed year in men's skating, Javi seems to lack some of his trademark oomph in both short and long. At least he's proven himself capable of hitting on big occasions. Ironically, it's only poor Sergei Voronov who has charmed me with his best self this year.

Leppis

On the Ice
I'm in the minority with you then!

I think this program has the potential to be quite a masterpiece if skated to its full potential. I MUCH prefer it over his prior cheesy programs that were considered "charming" mainly b/c Javier is cute and could pull them off. This is an adult men's program, and I think it perfectly suits Javier. I am concerned, however, that he seems to lack the conditioning to give the program the oomph it needs to become a masterpiece. He is clearly DYING at the end of the program, and the labored step sequence and spins at the end show it. He looks to be in excellent shape; why does he seem to have problems getting through his long? It seems to be a chronic issue. Should we be questioning his training?

I remember someone stating here that Majorov said after his program that the air in the arena is very thin which makes the skating even harder. So this might have an influence on Javi also if it's true. Anyways, let's hope he'll be able to skate clean at Olympics!

Mussique

On the Ice
Let's pray for peak at Olympics for every man :pray:
Gratz to Javi on his 6th!!! Truly an inspiring person

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Aliev definitely has the potential to be the top Russian, and he should be.

For me, he was the best Russian here, and not just in terms of scores/placements - his programs and skating have a greater level of refinement and expression than Kolyada's, although Kolyada's elements are bigger and better -- when he executes them. This should be a good confidence boost.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I couldn't 'goldenskate' while I was watching the FS so here's my 2 cents about the last group.

Javi is the king. Sixth european title and well deserved. Like Eurosport commentators said, this will not be enough in the Olympics and he knows it. Yet the program was beautifully skated and hopes are high for Olympics and Worlds.

Denis skated wonderfully and while I may not have been the biggest fan before I certainly am now. He skated the program beautifully and with so much passion and spirit, it was an absolute joy to watch. And of course he brings Lambiel in the arena, who is a joy to watch himself. I was starting to root for him to get the bronze, because even though Aliev is a sentimental favourite of mine, we all know he could also bomb to high heavens.

And then Aliev showed up and absolutely brought it! Wonderful skate, wonderful music, wonderful program. I liked everything about him and after the first jumps I wanted it to happen so much for him. A silver medal and overnight transformation into Russia's no 1. This should be enough for a ticket to the Olympics. Hopefully he will build on that and bring the same technically and emotionally engaging program to the Olympic ice.

Overall, a great and interesting competition I think. :agree:

Bcash

Final Flight
Of all the youngsters I still find Samohin the most enjoyable to watch. Lacks consistency and didn't qualify for the Free here(?). But he moves so well from head to toe, and has a great musicality to his movements. Obviously has the athletic fire power and blade skills judging from his elevation and speed. Love his step sequences.

Maybe he should dial back a bit on the tech content to have a few clean skates for better impression with the judges.

Jedi

On the Ice
Congrats to the medallists. Javier deserved to win for sure BUT as there is still room for growth pc wise I think it is ridiculous how high the pcs are for some and how little differentiation there is for say a Javier versus a Hanyu or Chan. IF big if Chan skates reasonably well he should be ahead of Fernandez by several points ie over 4 pc wise but that is impossible with the ridiculous given out. Now there is no room to differentiate the pcs and then you have skaters like Nathan Chen and Kolyada who are okay or fairly good but you don't see them more than ten points behind Chan or even Fernandez.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Too bad Dmitri Aliev is not considered the top Russian. He's overall better than Kolyada imo... He has better presentation and programs. He's skating with the music and not through. He just needs more stamina to push in the 2nd half like top skaters like Javi, Chan and Hanyu. So Dmitri is not going to the Olympics?

That would be a travesty.

Yes he didn't skate that great early in the season but he was also dealing with injuries, he didn't have the stamina.

At Euro he showed that ditching the 4ltz, he can perform a clean free program with much more ease and receive higher GOEs for the quality. Artistically is probably the best russian male skater i've seen in a long time.

Plus he has appropriate programs for the Olympics, while Samarin's programs are simply atrocious: he may land even two 4lutzes in the fs as he did at the Shanghai Trophy but there is nothing in his skating.

I think looking at Kovtun, Samarin, Maysuradze, CSKA has to change completely the way they are training male skaters and work more on the presentation, the skating skills, the posture,... Saint Petersburg skaters like Aliev, Efimchuk, Kolyada, Lezheev or Ignatov are all much more balletic, and they should all deserve more spots than CSKA's skaters.

lavender

Record Breaker
Congrats to the medallists. Javier deserved to win for sure BUT as there is still room for growth pc wise I think it is ridiculous how high the pcs are for some and how little differentiation there is for say a Javier versus a Hanyu or Chan. IF big if Chan skates reasonably well he should be ahead of Fernandez by several points ie over 4 pc wise but that is impossible with the ridiculous given out. Now there is no room to differentiate the pcs and then you have skaters like Nathan Chen and Kolyada who are okay or fairly good but you don't see them more than ten points behind Chan or even Fernandez.

I agree with this whole paragraph.... and I love Javi/Chan/Hanyu skating.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I'm sorry..which part is the travesty. You got that I'm rooting for Dmitri to go.

The part that Dima isn't considered a top skater.

What the other skaters have achieved to be that much better? okay Kolyada, but Samarin was behind him at JW and JGPF last year and this year he got a bronze medal at Skate Canada (partly because Chan bombed his FS) and that's it

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
You don't like the brown one? Really?
I do like it. In fact, that is the only possible custome for a proper Don Quixote!!
He's OK with the newone too but, it looks like the custome for a "going to bed" Quixote...:bed:, not the one for fighting to reach the unreacheable star!!:laugh:
Anyway, whichever he likes more, it's ok for me :clap:

Brrr, brown suits very few persons in a wow mode. And his was not wow. It might suit Don Quixote, but it doesn't suit Javier for sure. Very unflattering.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
258 total points.

:unsure: You're joking right? That's 30 points above his personal best! :eek:

The bronze medalist here, the reigning Russian champion, scored 258.

Hey, Swedish Olympic Committee why not make it 300 points if you want him not in Pyeongchang so bad?

Andrea82

Medalist
:unsure: You're joking right? That's 30 points above his personal best! :eek:

The bronze medalist here, the reigning Russian champion, scored 258.

Hey, Swedish Olympic Committee why not make it 300 points if you want him not in Pyeongchang so bad?

they chose 258 because it was 8th placed Kolyada's score at 2017 Worlds.

lavender

Record Breaker
The part that Dima isn't considered a top skater.

What the other skaters have achieved to be that much better? okay Kolyada, but Samarin was behind him at JW and JGPF last year and this year he got a bronze medal at Skate Canada (partly because Chan bombed his FS) and that's it

I think he is tops but the judges normally put Kolyada ahead. Dmitri is now a fav of mine.

da96103

Record Breaker
Just to add more: The last time a man won six consecutive European titles was Karl Schäfer from Austria. He won the titles eight consecutive times from 1929 to 1936. Javi certainly wrote his name in the history book. What an achievement:clap:

His gold medal count is tied with Willy Böckl with six, just behind Plushenko (seven), Schäfer (eight) and Salchow (nine)

I propose we honour Javi by moving French IdF to Spain.