2018 Worlds Pairs Short Program | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Pairs Short Program

AliceInFS

Spectator
Can anyone tell me why Z/E are Russia #2 over A/R #3. Z/E are the most boring skaters ever (and I saw them live at Skate Canada). At least A/R have some flair and are interesting performers. Anyone??

I actually like Z/E and find them really elegant, but personal preferences aside, Z/E usually deliver cleaner skates than A/R.

zounger

Medalist
Quite a hyperbole.

Yes but literally. Super throw.

Hyperbole= ...From Latin hyperbolē, from Ancient Greek ὑπερβολή (huperbolḗ, “excess, exaggeration”), from ὑπέρ (hupér, “above”) + βάλλω (bállō, “I throw”).

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Yes but literally. Super throw.

Hyperbole= ...From Latin hyperbolē, from Ancient Greek ὑπερβολή (huperbolḗ, “excess, exaggeration”), from ὑπέρ (hupér, “above”) + βάλλω (bállō, “I throw”).

Thank you, zounger, that reminds me of my high school days!

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Well the sad truth is - some people are so hyped with S/M and J/C just because they dont want to see their rivals (from one particular country) winning medals :cool14: because if you like someone you will talk what you like about them, not about why their rivals are not likeable :shrug:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I actually like Z/E and find them really elegant, but personal preferences aside, Z/E usually deliver cleaner skates than A/R.

Today the TES of both were pretty similar.

Welcome to Goldenskate, AliceInFS, post often and long!

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Just finished watching the BESP live broadcast. Joanne and Simon were annoying, little/no research and talked a lot of rubbish. One thing I did agree with was their shock at the overscoring of J/C, ridiculous.

I thought S/M were marked very generously on TES. Their SBS and throw did not deserve such big GOE. Judge 5 gave them +3 on everything. I still think he looks very awkward in the ice. I wouldn’t be giving them 10’s. For me they are not an equal couple, she is the star and he is the prop. Still their Olympic free skate was superb.

For me T/M’s short embodies all that is amazing about Pairs skating. Their elements are superb. I would have them ahead of S/M for TES and For TR and SS in PCS so roughly have them neck and neck. Sadly there free is not competitive with the Germans, at best they will get silver.

The French were totally overscored. It was a sloppy performance, when you see them skating alongside the top couples they lack of finesse, elegance and quality is glaring. I wonder are they a lock for Bronze? I love Z/E’s short, I didn’t expect them to score so high but it showcases their strengths so well. Personally I think I would have DM/G in 3rd.

Overall it is very close between 3rd and 10th, so I expect a lot of movement in the free. I thought both Chinese couples were under marked. I didn’t recognize Peng with her new hairstyle, I though for an instance he got a new partner after the Olympics😂. Glad to see the Aussies and Austrians make the free. It’s disappointing for the Canadians, with only one team making the free. S/B had a disaster skate, I’m don’t like their new Montreal style. Not a fan of MT/M, I wouldn’t have them 70+.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonight was a great night to be a pairs fan! What fun! And I haven't had time to read everything written in the Pairs competition thread, but I will trust that the (usually obligatory) posts about how the audience / arena is so dead are non-existent. The crowd was not as large as for ladies, but it was rockin and rollin. Lots of hootin and hollerin, cheering, clapping to the music, and flag waving. Alyona and Bruno had the crowd in the palm of their hands. Even Bruno looked like he was having fun! Entertainment to the max!

Not quite sure what was up with Vanessa and Morgan tonight. Things just didn't look like they were working for them tonight. And overall in the competition it seemed like there weren't a lot of drastic tumbles or similar, but there were a lot of slight touch downs, saved jumps.The whole competition just seemed to be building and building to the last 2 groups.

Such fun to see Nicole & Matteo and Valentina and Ondrej perform so well for their public. And I called that one right, within seconds, the audience was clapping along within a few of the notes when Valentina and Ondrej skated. Valentina had a little stumble, unfortunately. Same thing happened with the Knierams, they had a relatively clean skate and then Alexa stumbled right near the very end.

Very disappointing skate for Julianne and Charlie. I think Julianne crashed and burned on all 3 of her big elements. Hope she is not injured.

The scores are SO close, I would predict the FS is going to be a real barn burner. stay tuned!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More to say later but I'm gutted for S/B. :sad4:

See, if you're American, you read that as Stellato/Bartholomay. And I am gutted for them. :cry:

I'm not trying to pick on this post, but if you mean Seguin/Bilodeau...... Well, that's one great reason not to use initials. ;)

bobbob

Medalist
Aliona and Bruno were great but their scores particularly their TES was too high. The throw and SBS were just about 0 GOE for me. If they had actually done them cleanly it may have been a world record. But very lively program and the other elements were outstanding. I would have them neck and neck with a technically perfect T/M.

And what's going on with James and Cipres? I would have them in 11th, behind Scimeca and Knierim....their technical and components score was a complete joke. Their twist was level 4 and got 3's mostly across the board? That is unfair to skaters like S/M and T/M who actually do a level4 +3GOE twist. I think their increase in score may be due to them skating after Aliona and Bruno...the judges are unhinged.

Peng/Jin are the surprise of the night for me. They should be as high as 3rd. Yu/Zhang were slightly underscored too...they were more than 4 points worse than James/Cipres, who supposedly had a better twist element?

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I just read that Kirsten Moore-Towers has some sort of ankle injury (a minor one I'd assume since she's still skating)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
And what's going on with James and Cipres?

The judges fell asleep during Zabiiako & Enbert, and they had no one left to put above them but James & Cipres.

In all seriousness, I love James & Cipres. Have thought Vanessa James had all the potential to medal at a World Championships since 2009.

And, considering that she has stated she is done after this season, think J&C are maybe getting some love at this particular moment because it may be the last one in which they can be given it. They've come so far. They've had so many solid performances this season. They have the "It" factor, high-risk elements, unique positions, a relationship on the ice, he's incredibly strong . . . If I was to pick one team I would like to see medal in this pairs event, they are the team.

But being James & Cipres, they struggle with focusing all the way through an LP. Especially in big pressure moments. This is far from a guaranteed medal here. Even with one-last-moment love.

And I do agree that the two Chinese teams have at least as strong an argument to be right up there with them. Considering the performances. Unfortunately, those teams weren't scored that way, and that means if J&C muck up, the odds are best for Z&E. So I'm going to go right on rooting for James & Cipres, thank you.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
More to say later but I'm gutted for S/B. :sad4:

I’m sad for Julianne and Charlie too. :( Not the way they wanted to end their season, but they still have a lot to be proud of in how well they skated at the two most important competitions, Nationals and Olys. Look forward to seeing them do even better next season.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
The general note I have after yesterday's event is that how long road Pairs skating went from a bit of an afterthought in terms of depth and attracting factor to a real highlight of the whole event, with such high level of competition that only keeps rising. It was a fantastic experience to see both young and seasoned teams, in classical or more modern style, producing one quality performance after another. It was a collective delight for me and for the whole arena who cheered for stars and their homies (who did splendidly by the way and I screamed my lungs out for both, waiving Italian flag like a woman posse sed) with same spirit like for newcomers, Spaniards, Croatians to name for example. I will write more detailed impressions later or tomorrow, but it was a feast in terms of both technicalities and performance range.

LaLola

On the Ice
@NoNameFace: Great description!

I was in the arena as well and it was a great experience. So many strong skates - it really is a shame that only 16 are allowed to do the free skate. As a German I‘m definitely not objective - but you could really feel the difference between the pairs by the crowd
reaction. T/M are no doubt great skaters (my boyfriend has no idea about skating at all and noticed that too) - but they just don‘t have „it“ for me (yet). In comparison S/M really created a moment and the crowd went wild and cheered for them all the way through the program. That was probably the biggest difference for me watching it live: You get a great feeling for the atmosphere and emotions a skater can create.

BTW: Aljona seems so relaxed now that she has her Olympic gold medal. Great to see her nothing but happy. Love this queen!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
@LaLola - thank You and hope You are enjoying the event today, if already in the arena! I am at sector B25 in case You or someone else would like to say hi :). One could debate about Germans' flip and tech score for it, but without any doubt this was an amazing performance all-around, having both tech and engagement factors on top-notch level. In all honesty, I would be happy either way, Russians or Germans leading, both pairs represent different appeals and aesthetics I find engaging and both SPs were so different. The thing is for me that Germans can adapt their skill to various types of programs, music and look confident and comfortable to watch. And after Olympics, they have - Bruno in particular - this additional spring, punch in their step that just carries them effortlessly. I said it many times, but Russians FS idea while being fresh and interesting is executed just below their level, skill and capability. I hope they will push themselves, but with better package for such types of program that are a bit out of their area they excel in.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
And what's going on with James and Cipres? I would have them in 11th, behind Scimeca and Knierim....their technical and components score was a complete joke. Their twist was level 4 and got 3's mostly across the board? That is unfair to skaters like S/M and T/M who actually do a level4 +3GOE twist. I think their increase in score may be due to them skating after Aliona and Bruno...the judges are unhinged.

I want to love James and Cipres but unfortunately they never really flowed over the ice and when they are under pressure they fail to skate with conviction. So when the tech isn't there (as last night) their placement becomes really puzzling. It's a shame they failed to medal at Euros where they had a really strong case but I too don't think they should be in contention here because a lot of teams skated well and clean.

gold12345

Medalist

Peng/Jin are the surprise of the night for me. They should be as high as 3rd. Yu/Zhang were slightly underscored too...they were more than 4 points worse than James/Cipres, who supposedly had a better twist element?

That was the strangest thing I saw on the protocols, all those +3s for James/Cipres's twist, when they clearly don't have a +3 twist. They also got a couple +2s on a very clearly two-footed throw. They skated directly after Zabijako/Enbert who somehow got a personal best for a skate that wasn't as good as several they have done in the past.

3rd through 11th place are separated by a little less than 6 points. But I would have had the spread at more like 3 points (a crazy close competition). J/C getting 75 pts and Z/E getting 74 pts didn't make sense to me.

Canada1

Spectator
I just read that Kirsten Moore-Towers has some sort of ankle injury (a minor one I'd assume since she's still skating)

In an interview on CBC played in Canada last night she said because of the injury they had not done a full short program since the olympics. It must be pretty serious to not do run throughs before Worlds! Very GUTSY of MTM2 to skate that way considering and score so highly against the other Canadian pairs!