2016 Skate Canada Short Dance | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Short Dance

rollerblade

Record Breaker
4. C/B. It was close with H/B, but ultimately, I really dislike the "Bad to the Bone" part. The choreography is fine, it was performed very well, but the song itself is just soooooo cliche. Plus, it just isn't cohesive with Uptown Funk (which is the best part of the program.) Much better execution than H/B, however.

Just watched the video and I agree, the whole Bad to the Bone portion felt like it served no purpose. (I'm sure it's there to fulfill some requirements, but it still felt purposeless.) Couldn't they have just skated the whole thing to Uptown Funk? At least make the latter part longer. The Uptown Funk portion is easily the best part of the entire SD. I'm a sucker for side-by-side synchro steps.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Does anyone can explain why C/L got only level 1 ona PSt, please? I mean, what was a mistake? They have got levels in Nebelhorn for this... And why S/B lift got only level 1? I'm asking out of curiosity, I'd really want to know what to take notice of.

I watched top5 for now.
1. I'm really glad Tessa has changed her costume, she looks way better than in Autumn Classic. But like most of us suspected, it was a little fishy that V/M got all levels 4 then. Highest PCS deserved! Time flew with them!
2. I really like C/B SD this season. And since now I can compare, I prefer their SD to Shibs one. And considering they got higher score in Canada than Shibs in USA, judges prefer them too.
3. I SOOOOOO love Piper and Paul :love:
4. C/L were a pleasure. I'm waiting for someone to explain the score for me.
5. S/B made less impression on me than in Finlandia Trophy. But I also want to understand the score, with level 4 on lift they would surely have 70's score.

Mattieu

Medalist
It's impossible. All teams' patterns have the exact same tempo, and if you'll take a watch to check you'll see that the pattern dance is taking to same time to execute for every team. Besides each step and turn is executed to the prescribed beat of the music, and if someone takes slower pace they receive a timing mistake penalty. Chock and Bates pattern was not slower than the pattern of any other team. Unless you mean different element, Partial Step Sequence tha follow the pattern, for example.

That is not strictly true. You can cover less ice for each step of the blues, yet still stay in time with the music. So you will effectively be moving more slowly.
If team A does a choctaw which covers 3 metres in the same time as Team B does the same choctaw but covers just 1 metre, of course team A will be moving faster than team B, but both will be in time with the musicl

That is why I get so annoyed at teams who cover just a few metres in their twizzles getting the same marks as teams who cover half the rink!
It's so much easier to do twizzles perfectly when you are effectively moving more slowly as you are covering so much less ice

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
Does anyone can explain why C/L got only level 1 ona PSt, please? I mean, what was a mistake? They have got levels in Nebelhorn for this... And why S/B lift got only level 1? I'm asking out of curiosity, I'd really want to know what to take notice of.

I watched top5 for now.
1. I'm really glad Tessa has changed her costume, she looks way better than in Autumn Classic. But like most of us suspected, it was a little fishy that V/M got all levels 4 then. Highest PCS deserved! Time flew with them!
2. I really like C/B SD this season. And since now I can compare, I prefer their SD to Shibs one. And considering they got higher score in Canada than Shibs in USA, judges prefer them too.
3. I SOOOOOO love Piper and Paul :love:
4. C/L were a pleasure. I'm waiting for someone to explain the score for me.
5. S/B made less impression on me than in Finlandia Trophy. But I also want to understand the score, with level 4 on lift they would surely have 70's score.

1. V/M should've been leading by a bigger margin, their skating skills were on another level to everyone else. That program was much improved since last outing.
2. C/B were again much improved on their last outing, but I still think they skate small
3. Piper and Paul I liked less than the first time I saw this program.
4. I actually enjoyed C/L this time around, shame the Partial step sequence only got level 1, as by rights they should be in 3rd or even 2nd given the PCS.
5. Yes, I was impressed with S/B at Finlandia, but less so here. She needs to change the outfit, it really shows up her arched back and the fact that her hips are a mile behind her and that they skate a truck width apart. Even if the lift was level 4, it wouldn't have changed the placement. Russia is really in trouble this season. None of the Russian couples on the GP so far has cracked 70 for the SD and to compete at top level it looks like you need to crack 70

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
5. Yes, I was impressed with S/B at Finlandia, but less so here. She needs to change the outfit, it really shows up her arched back and the fact that her hips are a mile behind her and that they skate a truck width apart. Even if the lift was level 4, it wouldn't have changed the placement. Russia is really in trouble this season. None of the Russian couples on the GP so far has cracked 70 for the SD and to compete at top level it looks like you need to crack 70

Had they got 70 pts, they would still be 5th, but had a little loss to C/L and a chance to score higher in FD if C/L or G/P made mistake. It's not only about the placement, when competition is still going. I don't wish a mistakes on any team, but it happens and with that score S/B has less chance to move up.

Last edited:

katha

On the Ice
Wow, the Russian ice dance program is in deep trouble. So far none of the couples in the GP have looked very convincing and competitive for higher placements. :( Add in SinKats and their continuing injury woes, and it's all looking rather bleak...Yikes.

Mattieu

Medalist
Wow, the Russian ice dance program is in deep trouble. So far none of the couples in the GP have looked very convincing and competitive for higher placements. :( Add in SinKats and their continuing injury woes, and it's all looking rather bleak...Yikes.

I'm expecting SinKats to withdraw from their GPs :(
But I think Elena and Ruslan will come back fighting at the France GP. :)
I also think there will be a big push in CoR for B/S to qualify for the GP final, as it seems to be Russia's only hope.
C/B will be jetlagged, so might just give B/S a little window to beat them.

Last edited:

katha

On the Ice
I'm expecting SinKats to withdraw from their GPs :(
Yeah, what Gorshkov's been saying doesn't sound all that optimistic tbh. :( Who knows, perhaps they'll be all right since they have the last two GPs. OTOH, if it can't be done, better be responsible and not risk his health further. It's very easy to let a Maxim Shabalin situation develop where an injury gets worse and worse because it's never completely healed and the athlete tries to rush back into competition and in the end completely wrecks himself in the process. If Nikita wants to continue till 2022, he has to think long-term. Not about what might be gained from trying to skate injured.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Since the latest discussion has been about Russian ice dance, I'm going to make a quick comment in that I think they are in trouble. I really don't see a single team of theirs that could legitimately compete for the top spots this year, without some politicking. BS may qualify for GP final, but....

As for SCanada. Wow, what a packed field!!

Thrilled to see HB. I'm a big fan of theirs and I think they are very promising skaters. In this terribly difficult GP event I think they are doing remarkably well so far.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
As for SCanada. Wow, what a packed field!!

Thrilled to see HB. I'm a big fan of theirs and I think they are very promising skaters. In this terribly difficult GP event I think they are doing remarkably well so far.

I adore H/B and was most excited to see them out of all the teams! I'm not sure, but they didn't seem that happy with their SD. I hope they make some waves today with their beautiful FD and move up in placement.

andromache

Record Breaker
Serious question:

Why do people love Elena Ilinykh's OTT face and dislike Madison Chock's?

I think both ladies are fabulous.

I also think Madi and Evan's dance will gel more by the end of the season, though I don't know if I'll ever really love the "Bad to the Bone" thing. Just too cliche. But as el henry pointed out, kudos to them for getting a black choreographer and legitimate hip hop moves. I'm surprised more teams didn't work with actual hip hop dance choreographers in order to get a leg up over the rest of the field. I've seen some amazing hip hop on SYTYCD, and a performance channeling even a tiny bit of that could've been amazing.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Huge C/B fan here and happy to see them in second. I thought they seemed very slow at points during the SD, FWIW. Surprised at their marks but not complaining. ;)

Eisfee

On the Ice
Yeah, what Gorshkov's been saying doesn't sound all that optimistic tbh. :( Who knows, perhaps they'll be all right since they have the last two GPs. OTOH, if it can't be done, better be responsible and not risk his health further. It's very easy to let a Maxim Shabalin situation develop where an injury gets worse and worse because it's never completely healed and the athlete tries to rush back into competition and in the end completely wrecks himself in the process. If Nikita wants to continue till 2022, he has to think long-term. Not about what might be gained from trying to skate injured.

I still hope they can start and maybe surprise and have a good outing! :biggrin: Hope dies last...;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Serious question:

Why do people love Elena Ilinykh's OTT face and dislike Madison Chock's?

I think both ladies are fabulous.

I also think Madi and Evan's dance will gel more by the end of the season, though I don't know if I'll ever really love the "Bad to the Bone" thing. Just too cliche. But as el henry pointed out, kudos to them for getting a black choreographer and legitimate hip hop moves. I'm surprised more teams didn't work with actual hip hop dance choreographers in order to get a leg up over the rest of the field. I've seen some amazing hip hop on SYTYCD, and a performance channeling even a tiny bit of that could've been amazing.

Well I think as odd as it sounds Elena's OTT is more organic than Madison so that's part of the problem. Some people are just naturally more diva like.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Great skate for Chock and Bates. I think P/C now can breathe; V and M barely beat C and B and some tech issues for V and M so it looks like pC are good as gold especially if V and M barely beat C and B who were struggling earlier. Sad about Stepanova and Bukin a bit of promise and once again the Russian ice dance program shows its weakness. No one is owning it for Russia. I think V and M need to find programs that are really them, original that push the envelope.

rosy14

Final Flight
*Shuts eyes, cover ears and shouts hysterically* MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB! A LITTLE LAMB!

And they won that on PCS, too.

Actually Pechalat/Bourzat were defeated by Weaver /Poje too, and perhaps even by another couple.
So then all of them to pay greatly in2015 and 2016 for the crime of "lese majesté" to the French "gods"of ice skating.
By the way Pechalat and Bourzat lost at the Olympics too, and not against Anna and Luca. I appreciated their programs (and I appreciated them more than the actual French "gods"), but the judges preferred others.
Please, stop being so critical towards Anna and Luca. You don't like them ? Don't look at them !
Also because they are not the real ompetitors to Americans and Canadians for medals, unfortunately.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Chock/Bates...this dance is all about Madison, and she is MESMERIZING. He is a prop only and way too "nice" acting in this dance; needs to get some sex and roughness. But he is still a good ice dancer, so I guess watch his feet only and everything else of Madison. :laugh:

Anna Cappellini's toepick dancing was not convincing here. In general this team just seems too much on auto-pilot for their level. They are pleasant and skilled, but the inner flame doesn't seem to be there, nothing they do seems like it is trying to be the best, either artistically or athletically.

I wish Paul Poirier would lose the mustache, it's so schticky and distracting. Really good dance, though.

Jean-Luc Baker is a superb ice dancer.

Virtue/Moir...fix your hair Scott. This is a great dance but he looks too raggy.

I love Stepanova/Bukin this season, but they do have some technical issues they need to work on.

The depth of the field at this event is awesome.

keasus

On the Ice
I believe it is a travesty that the USA judge gave C/B and V/M the same mark for skating skills. This is extremely unjust.

Then, I saw the Italian judge and she gave C/L higher for Skating Skills and Transitions than V/M. This judge must have learned from the D/W school of skating. It is an even bigger travesty. Now I understand how the results in Sochi played out with these types of people on the panel.

:bang: Not this again. D/W were beating V/M for most of the last Olympic quad. Not always, but the majority of competitions where they went head-to-head. You may prefer V/M's "style" to D/W's, but to suggest that D/W won only because of "these types of people on the panel" (what does that even mean? Cheaters? Bribed judges? Prejudiced against Canadian skaters?) is wrong and insulting.

olayolay

On the Ice
Great skate for Chock and Bates. I think P/C now can breathe; V and M barely beat C and B and some tech issues for V and M so it looks like pC are good as gold especially if V and M barely beat C and B who were struggling earlier. Sad about Stepanova and Bukin a bit of promise and once again the Russian ice dance program shows its weakness. No one is owning it for Russia. I think V and M need to find programs that are really them, original that push the envelope.

:scratch2: