2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS | Page 124 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS

twirlingblades

Medalist
And Ashley's has been? LOL

My impression at the arena was that Ashley showed up with a weak program expecting a coronation. She didn't sell that program and without her "sales skills" her PCS suffers. At least Karen seemed to skate with passion. Ashley could have been doing a practice run through with no commitment to the program

Ashley only beat Karen in the long by 1 point. And Karen had 4 major jump errors. There was no way they were sending Ashley again.

kasha6

Rinkside
anybody else think that Bradie or Mirai could sneak in for a world medal in a depleted field?

NO, unless all of the Russians decide not to go, and Carolina gets suspended again, and the Canadians are snowed in, and the Japanese miss their plane

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I encourage some who are generally unimpressed with Bradie to watch the program with fresh eyes.

Jumps aside, there aren't a lot of crossovers or two foot skating. In fact, quite a lot of one-foot skating. the spin position on her camel is nice, and the rollover to edge change is very smooth.

There's quite a lot of footwork segments - not including the graded footwork section.

Some interesting entries to jumps and spins. Look at her exit on the SP combo - she really worked that landing edge for a while. Her flying sit straight into variation at the end of her long... one of many interesting features. Those in the arena say she's fast in a way that doesn't translate on television. She brought the house to its feet after both programs.

These were not empty programs by any stretch. I wonder what the boys at BESP have to say about the program. They were over the moon after SkAm.

skatefan17

On the Ice
I'm really not happy with this decision. I thought the picking of the team was supposed to include body of work, and Karen's body of work this season has not been great.

It's all in the scoring. Ashley never stood a chance unless she skated a 100% perfect program. I realized it was over for her when she received a 65 score in the sp.

skatefan17

On the Ice
I encourage some who are generally unimpressed with Bradie to watch the program with fresh eyes.

Jumps aside, there aren't a lot of crossovers or two foot skating. In fact, quite a lot of one-foot skating. the spin position on her camel is nice, and the rollover to edge change is very smooth.

There's quite a lot of footwork segments - not including the graded footwork section.

Some interesting entries to jumps and spins. Look at her exit on the SP combo - she really worked that landing edge for a while. Her flying sit straight into variation at the end of her long... one of many interesting features. Those in the arena say she's fast in a way that doesn't translate on television. She brought the house to its feet after both programs.

These were not empty programs by any stretch. I wonder what the boys at BESP have to say about the program. They were over the moon after SkAm.

I also think the composition of her program is varied and unique. Each jump in the sp is spaced apart and fits into the program. It's nice.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Bradie, Mirai and Karen. Sorry for Ashley but that's life it isn't fair.

Yes, the judging was very suspect. NOt only because while I am NOT an Ashley fan but she could easily have scored higher in the short and long especially compared to Chen but Bradie's pcs in particular. To all those whiners about Russian ladies/girls this is far more agregious in fact the generosity or national inflation was appalling. I have to call a spade a spade or national inflation.

It was like Christmas all over not only for Bradie but all the ladies.

And as for Bradie I do not think her programs are crap but she was given very generous scores and it is possible even under COP that Mirai could have won. But the scores were just atrocious..

THe US and USFSA and sponsors will use Bradie and pump her up. Ironically she could win an olympic medal individually or end up in the American traditional spot lately of fourth or she could plummet to the bottom.

She now skates with the US crown and t hat is a huge responsibility. She seems tough but we will see because she skated as the underdog or unknown or unwatched with no pressure. Now there is pressure. I wish her well - I think she has the good to survive - she is tough even though yes she appears princessy - blonde, pretty and all.

time will tell but life will go on. Life is slippery. Ashley for some reason, not on purpose has ended on the cusp of membership to the Olympic team three times. I am most happy for Mirai, I am hopeful for Bradie and Karen could get it together. Isn't that the old story - will the skaters do it when it counts.

Go good skating and better judging :)

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
9.75?!? Ahahaha. Oi vey.

Regarding Bradie’s PCS mark. There’s something to be said for a skating performer who doesn’t make people anxious. So great to just sit back and watch a program without wondering when or whether the skater is going to fall. Bradie is an AHA! moment in top-level USA ladies skating, not a hahaha incredulous moment. It’s about time we could relax and enjoy a top-level skating performance.

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
I asked the Skate Radio people this question because I have been wondering. For the short they put however many numbers in a bag and the skaters pick from the bag. They are seeded so whoever has the highest world ranking gets to pick first. The long is in reverse order until they get to the last six and then they said they draw for 4, 5 and 6 and then 1, 2, and 3. I don't really understand that last part but that's what they said. The International rule is different and I can't remember how it's done internationally, I can only hold so many pieces of information in my head.
Thank you. The way I understood it: places 4-6 draw for skating first in the last group and then the first 3 after the short skate last in the order they draw.

Flutz Capacitor

Rinkside
I'm sad for Ashley but I think the rankings were correct. And only a strong BOW could have tipped the scale for her making the team - that she did not have the last two seasons.
I love La La Land, but Audition is maybe too subtle. It's more soft and lovely - not how I picture Ashley. Another Day of Sun, Mia and Sebastian's theme, and City of Stars are much more iconic pieces and better options. I dunno maybe Ashley's FS would have grown on me. Kinda like Yuna's Gershwin.
Brady did great. There was obvious inflation but that's every Nationals. She deserved the win. Nice speed. Looked so clean on everything. I didn't feel nervous watching her. I don't remember the last time I didn't feel nervous watching an American skater. She's showing that consistency doesn't have to just be a Russian or Japanese phenomenon.
Nagasu was tremendous. I appreciate that she didn't get bogged down with being perfect. And that she's still going for the Triple Axel and not playing it safe.
Karen Chen showed nice grit. I was expecting her to implode. Maybe she'll bomb at the Olympics. Maybe she'll surprise. Her upside is so good. She's only 18 so still time to improve.
Bell looked really good. When she's on her jump look so nice. Going into her final double axel I gave her 50/50 shot falling, having previously been near perfect. That pretty much sums her up. So much talent but not enough grit.
Starr had a nice moment but I thought she was majorly overscored. Very in and out with her music interpretation. Not great posture. But I think I'm biased because I find her program tacky AF.
Angela Wang was similar to Bell. Really nice skate with terrific jumps but lost focus in the second half. In the K n C she seemed pleased with her FS and the results but I kinda want to see her more ticked off that she's not doing better.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Ashley deserved to be on that 2014 team; I really dislike the commentators and evryone constantly harping on it. Other countries have used that system for years. They do not just rely on 1 competition; Mirai's results were horrible that year, and had one good skate at Nationals. Ashley was doing very well all season and the season before. She medalled at both grand prix finals in 2012/2013. This team is fair for this Olympics, but Ashleys PC scores were definitely much lower than the international judges give her. If the INT judges scored this comp, she would have gotten the bronze.

Actually, they were more or less in line with international PCS this season and last season. A tad lower, perhaps, but not significantly much lower. I wouldn't necessarily change her PCS. The issue was that everyone else got inflated, some more than others, so her PCS seemed much lower in comparison, which, indeed, is what made the writing on the wall re her chances of being on the team virtually known before hand.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Just a random question, but would Ashley have had enough to win over Karen if she had only landed a 2sal instead of totally popping it? I think the pop also hurt her from a performance standpoint too. Aw, would've, could've, should'ves...

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Regarding Bradie’s PCS mark. There’s something to be said for a skating performer who doesn’t make people anxious. So great to just sit back and watch a program without wondering when or whether the skater is going to fall. Bradie is an AHA! moment in top-level USA ladies skating, not a hahaha incredulous moment. It’s about time we could relax and enjoy a top-level skating performance.

The level of relaxation because you know someone will deliver without leaving you anxious doesn't and shouldn't reflect into high PCS, especially so near 10. Otherwise there'd be so much less vitriol over Evgenia's PCS than we have here in this forum... :drama:

Procrastinator

On the Ice
PCS are competition-dependent and not comparable across meets. Her 69 is meant to rank her comparatively to other skaters *at* that event.

Performance/Execution is a weird category, even with the ISU definition. For one, it seems to overlap with interpretation, but on the other hand, in practice judges have used it to reflect how clean the skate was and the extent to which the program was delivered to its potential; this is usually the mark that's lowest when someone has severe errors, though not all judges adhere to this.

If we're thinking of P/E as "how well did you deliver the program to its potential," then a 9 for Bradie makes sense, especially compared to everything else that night.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I think what I love most is that there is absolutely no shade or dispute over Mirai's performance. As she said herself, she really delivered and took things into her own hands, leaving no room for "PCS cushions". This is the kind of athlete any young skater should aspire to be.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I think what I love most is that there is absolutely no shade or dispute over Mirai's performance. As she said herself, she really delivered and took things into her own hands, leaving no room for "PCS cushions". This is the kind of athlete any young skater should aspire to be.

I think anyone with even a casual understanding of figure skating can see that she earned it fair and square.

A lesser person would have let what happened in 2014 destroy them as a skater. What's most impressive about Mirai is that she used being let off the 2014 team as fuel to improve.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Just watched the competition. I will be honest - not very impressive. The ladies had challenges to skate clean programs. It is quite clear who are powerhouses in ladies now when comparing this with thpse from Japanese and Russian nationals. Bradie Tennel is the rightful winner. But is she better than Daria Panenkova who was just 8th at RN? I don't think so.

The only hope is Mirai's getting clean 3A landing and working on her URs. Then she is sort of competitive internationally.

Karen Chen showed some promise. She is a beautiful skater. The problem is that she has been showing this promise for some years now. Where is the breakthrough with clean programs without URs? Will it ever happen?

Ashley, sigh. I used to be a fan. Not anymore. Her skating is tired - she lost the spark. And without it she is just "good average skater".

...The best bet for USFS will be to put Bradie at both segments of team competition. At least she will skate clean and judges here did their best to pump up her pcs to the level she absolutely does not deserve to impress international judges...

Sorry for being negative but it was quite depressing with Starr Andrews the only exception.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is anyone else worried that only Bradie & Mirai really seemed to bring it?
Karen, Ashley & Mariah all looked as though they’d either failed to taper, were skating through Mono or were coming back from injury...that’s...not exactly good.

Going by the selection criteria, I’d be wanting a verification comp for the last three to choose the 3rd spot. None of these ladies stand out IMO, except (and I’m sorry to pull a ‘14 again) Ashley; more consistency, experience, plus she’s got an actual excuse of having needed time off of the ice. In saying that, if it’s revealed that Karen is actually legit sick (like, flu, etc) then I reckon the edge should go to her for peaking at the right moments.

And then, turn attention maybe to an importation of Russian juniors for future generations...

Karen had a good reason the girl was sick in bed all day and missed practice on thursday i'm proud of how she fought even when she didn't feel her best. I have a feeling she will skate better at the Olympics now that she has her programs all set.