Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club

tothepointe

On the Ice
The type of fans you have matter also. For Jason being in Torotono is probably not that much different than being in LA so far as being recognized and mobbed by fans. For Evgenia who knows but I think it's probably ok also.

lyndichee

Medalist
I canada no one cares about FS. Only hockey. No one even will recognize them.

I don't know what Canada you are living in, Maybe plainclothes they are not as easy to recognize but Stars on Ice this year was a sold-out show in Toronto at the ACC which seats almost 20,000 people. Many of my peers went to go watch and they know of Evgenia from watching the Olympics. Also, not all figure skaters have huge social media following as the older generation typically don't have instagram, facebook etc.

LucyH

On the Ice
I don't know what Canada you are living in, Maybe plainclothes they are not as easy to recognize but Stars on Ice this year was a sold-out show in Toronto at the ACC which seats almost 20,000 people. Many of my peers went to go watch and they know of Evgenia from watching the Olympics. Also, not all figure skaters have huge social media following as the older generation typically don't have instagram, facebook etc.

Yeah I would say Figure Skating is much bigger in Canada than in the US. It has always been popular and remains one of the most popular winter sports. It’s no hockey but not many things are in Canada!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Since Jason has had to deal with situations with over enthusiastic fans before, I’m sure he is taking appropriate precautions.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Since Jason has had to deal with situations with over enthusiastic fans before, I’m sure he is taking appropriate precautions.

And yet he is still so kind and open. I got a hug in Helsinki and I didn't even ask for one!! :laugh:

Yuzuru can't go anywhere without security, and he doesn't have any social media anyways. I think Evgenia and Jason are fine, and I think they post after they have went somewhere.

He can get around Toronto better than he can get around in Japan I imagine. I don't think he needs or wants 24/7 security detail there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i wonder if i would recognize yuzu in jeans and tshirt walking down the street...

my experience : saw Eric walking down the street in montreal (pedestrian street in the gay village) last summer... you could tell that a few of us recognized him as we looked at him... or turned around to see him.... after a glance at that beautiful man ;)

but during the time that I saw him, nobody went to talk to him etc... i think that many Canadians are like that : even if they recognize people, they will give their space.... however at an ice rink, that's different, because they are in their "work environment" so I totally talked to Kaeltyn, who was so gracious, at ACI...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I walked by Kevin Reynolds in the arena at Canadian Nationals (practice day, very few people around) and didn't say anything to him. I did have some difficulty recognizing him because he had a hat covering his most distinctive feature.

Yoa

On the Ice
i wonder if i would recognize yuzu in jeans and tshirt walking down the street...

What if he wears something like this in Toronto? Maybe that's his secret :laugh2:
Anyway,back in March someone saw Yuzuru buying groceries in Toronto. And that person isn't a FS fan. It's not the first time someone saw him in a supermarket.

There were a few cases when someone took a photo of Yuzuru and his mother without them knowing which is so disrespectful :/ And someone also filmed them and the video is still on youtube :/ And not in Canada but in Russia, someone filmed him in a hotel when he met with his Russian coaches. And it's not Japanese fans who do this stuff. Thankfully those kind of things rarely happen and he can live in Toronto like a normal person.

I am happy that Evgenia and Jason seem to like Toronto and TCC so far :) I hope we will see a group photo with all TCC skaters someday.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

my experience : saw Eric walking down the street in montreal (pedestrian street in the gay village) last summer... you could tell that a few of us recognized him as we looked at him... or turned around to see him.... after a glance at that beautiful man ;)

but during the time that I saw him, nobody went to talk to him etc... i think that many Canadians are like that : even if they recognize people, they will give their space.... however at an ice rink, that's different, because they are in their "work environment" so I totally talked to Kaeltyn, who was so gracious, at ACI...

At Sk Can Jeffrey Buttle was sitting 2 rows in front of me. I probably wouldn't have even noticed him, except a (Canadian) lady sitting next to me mentioned that it was him. He looked so different though. He was all dressed up with a sport coat. We mainly noticed him because a couple kids asked him for his autograph.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Man Gaby got crazy tan.
I was going to say, clearly she spent most of her time in Cuba outdoors.

I remember my father went to Cuba on vacation in the 1990s, went to the beach. He had applied sunscreen liberally, but it had never occurred to him to put any on his eyelids, and he got sunburned there when he fell asleep. The result was painful.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
At Sk Can Jeffrey Buttle was sitting 2 rows in front of me. I probably wouldn't have even noticed him, except a (Canadian) lady sitting next to me mentioned that it was him. He looked so different though. He was all dressed up with a sport coat. We mainly noticed him because a couple kids asked him for his autograph.

Probably I wouldn't recognise him as well. I have really big, big problem with recognising people's faces and TBH I usually recognise them by clothes they usually wear or by voice. I have meet someone almost everyday to recognise his/her face after a month :palmf: And if I don't meet them for a week I have problem again which really cripples my social skills as some people think I'm rude by not greeting them on street. It's quite possible I'd miss Yuzuru as well if he stood next to me in line in grocery shop :laugh:

The saddest story of my life was when 2 years ago I managed to get tickets for play in London with Ralph Fiennes as Richard III. When play ended some actors including him went to main hall of theatre building to meet somebody (have no idea who. Maybe some famous actor as well) and of course a lot of people approached them. I thought it was some organised group, didn't connect the dots and left theatre to come back to hotel :palmf: Afterwards I came up with what happened and was so angry I couldn't sleep.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was going to say, clearly she spent most of her time in Cuba outdoors.

I remember my father went to Cuba on vacation in the 1990s, went to the beach. He had applied sunscreen liberally, but it had never occurred to him to put any on his eyelids, and he got sunburned there when he fell asleep. The result was painful.

It's sooooo hot in Cuba right now. Gabby really did get quite a tan. Do you know, does she have Cuban roots, or was she just vacationing there?

TGee

Record Breaker
how many rinks are in TCC? this looks different
My recollection is that in the past we've seen photos and gifs of this rink (with boards) with pairs skaters or seminars with younger skaters.

However, Brian alluded to the elite senior singles skaters training on a second rink this season, so it sounds as though they've redone the TCC ice schedule.

Haleth

On the Ice
Jason and Evgenia came after the CN Tower upgrade, so probably had an extra lovely view (or they did if they went when it wasn't too cloudy): http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/cn-tower-unveiled-major-upgrades-1.4722263

I wonder if they did the Tower Edgewalk outside. I'd be too terrified to try it, but if they love adrenaline it might be up their alley. I get dizzy just looking at this video: https://youtu.be/bAicHoPg2OM But who knows, maybe we will get an update where they reveal they did it! Or perhaps they are waiting for Boyang...