2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

Haleth

On the Ice
Team Canada entrants for US International Classic and the Nebelhorn Trophy: https://skatecanada.ca/event-schedule/#tab-31263c319f20cf01436

I imagine there will be an official tweet or announcement later, but a quick rundown:

USIC: Gabby, Nam, Camille Ruest / Andrew Wolfe, Haley Sales / Nikolas Wamsteeker
NT: Alaine, Keegan, Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud, Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier

I imagine Keegan is being kept away from Yuzuru this year, as he's now Canada's No. 1 man. I mean they'll be facing off at CoR, so no need to do so early on? And Gabby will face Evgenia at SCI, so if the latter ends up at ACI as some people guess, then it makes sense the fed would not want them to face twice so early in the season? Just guessing here and I freely own that there can be other reasons such as scheduling conflicts that may affect the availability of skater/coach.

I wonder if that means Larkyn for ACI, and Kevin, Roman, or Nic at ACI?

I'll be hoping Gabby, Keegan, and Nam don't withdraw from the GTSA Summer Skate, though I know I'll be seeing Gabby and Keegan in Montreal.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Carolane/Shane (and likely several other Gadbois teams) are probably doing ACI, then. Kirsten and Michael probably too, since they’re our main pairs team now.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hmm look at what's listed now for the JGP.

They now have for ladies Aurora at the 1st one, Emma Bulawka at the 2nd and Emily Bausback at the 3rd. Originally, SC had Aurora at the 1st and Alison at the 2nd on both their site and the ISU entries. Then Alison and Aurora were switched on the ISU entries. The ISU entries still have Alison at the 1st one, Aurora at the 2nd and Emily Bausback at the 3rd, but I guess that will change.

But for dance, SC still has Fisher/Malette-Paquette in, even though those assignments have changed.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I imagine Keegan is being kept away from Yuzuru this year, as he's now Canada's No. 1 man. I mean they'll be facing off at CoR, so no need to do so early on?

Maybe Keegan is Canada #1, but he's no threat to Yuzu----62 points separated them at the Olympics with Yuzu in first and Keegan in 12th. OTOH, Yuzu will always be a threat to Keegan, no matter when or where the competition. Keegan is an entertaining skater, but his inconsistencies keep him from being a world podium contender.

Yuzu is a thread to every skater, only 2 or three can beat him IF he makes mistakes, Keegan can be second or third best, we are living in a golden era in the men field tbh, Keegan needs to step his game if he wants to keep with the top guys, they all do, who is the second man? Nam?

TGee

Record Breaker
Keegan hit his first Olympics and World's last season...

And stepped up his PCS and BV a great deal.

It's a bit premature to make any conclusions about patterns (e.g. consistency)...what is consistent is his year over year progress in the past 3 seasons.

It's a bit premature to make any conclusions about patterns (e.g. consistency)...what is consistent is his year over year progress in the past 3 seasons.

you right, wasnt he in the same time as Chen and all the others at juniors? thats why I said what I said, he did well at Olys and Worlds for his first season...I think, Im looking forward to him

my comment was mainly to people who wanted him to fill the shoes Chan left, he is his own person and would do just fine

TGee

Record Breaker
you right, wasnt he in the same time as Chen and all the others at juniors? thats why I said what I said, he did well at Olys and Worlds for his first season...I think, Im looking forward to him

my comment was mainly to people who wanted him to fill the shoes Chan left, he is his own person and would do just fine
Keegan's quite a bit older, but despite having a precious 3A as a novice, he has been a bit of a late developer.

Also, due to that 3A at US nationals, he was sent on an international assignment..

Which meant a delay before switching to Canada although skating for Canada had always been the plan.

(His mum is Canadian and he's the proud descendant of the first Japanese person to officially immigrate to Canada in the 19th century.)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

He is one skater I have a real interest in seeing this year. If I'm being honest, he was one of those guys I never thought would make a big mark internationally, but I think he showed tremendous growth last season, and I really liked his SP.

I like skaters who show growth.

Haleth

On the Ice
Maybe Keegan is Canada #1, but he's no threat to Yuzu----62 points separated them at the Olympics with Yuzu in first and Keegan in 12th. OTOH, Yuzu will always be a threat to Keegan, no matter when or where the competition. Keegan is an entertaining skater, but his inconsistencies keep him from being a world podium contender.

I'm surprised you felt you had to explain this to me, as I'm quite aware of how they did last season and assumed that one likely reason Keegan was sent to another Challenger this season was Yuzuru's presence. Feds and their skaters do have to try to be strategic after all (no matter how good and/or consistent they are), but there are other factors that can have a definite impact, like how prominent a fed you belong to, how high up a skater is up in the national pecking order, injury rehab, scheduling conflicts (especially if a coach has multiple skaters to look after). That's why I added uncertainty to my words re: why these decisions might have been made. I wasn't there after all, when these decisions were made. I was trying to process who is going where and speculated as to why. It wasn’t meant as shade to anyone mentioned in my post.

Anyway, after the drama of last season, I'd hate to be too dogmatic on how the men will do in any one event, let alone the season. I say this and Yuzuru is a special favourite of mine. :luv17: But I also very much enjoy Keegan's programs and skating :luv17: and I had the most fun watching him out of all the Canadian senior men last season. I’ll also be cheering on both Gabby :luv17: and Evgenia :luv17: enthusiastically. Strangely enough I can enjoy many skaters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Mmmm....no. Nathan Chen is 19. Keegan is 26.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Keegan moved up to senior nationals the year before Jason.

Nathan won his first novice title that year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
hey guys, this is a Canadian skating thread... one user made a mistake asking a question about Keegan's age because he is a late bloomer... can we all move on? there is a lot more going on than harping a user who made a mistake... this is not a really nice nor canadian way to welcome a relatively new poster....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hey Skater Boy, it's always great to wake up in the morning and read your bimonthly ramblings on the state of our skaters ;). I'm glad to see that you have recovered from the shock of S/B's split, and feel slightly more optimistic on the outlook of Canadian figure skaters. I don't agree with much of your analysis but am glad that you see some potential for some up and comers to shine. We'll talk again in another few weeks, when more skaters have a chance to debut their programs at GTSA Summer Skate, Championnats québecois d'été, and on the JGP.

Thank you for your ramblings too It is always good to have discussions.

Tanager

On the Ice
Speaking of the Quebec Summer Skate and of S/B. I'm looking forward to a first glimpse at Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Alaine, Nic Nadeau, et al. this weekend.

Super bummed not to get Seguin/Bilodeau rocking out to Groove Is in the Heart, but I hope they know there are high groovy musical standards awaiting them and their fab future partners. :dance3:

TGee

Record Breaker
Speaking of the Quebec Summer Skate and of S/B. I'm looking forward to a first glimpse at Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Alaine, Nic Nadeau, et al. this weekend.

Super bummed not to get Seguin/Bilodeau rocking out to Groove Is in the Heart, but I hope they know there are high groovy musical standards awaiting them and their fab future partners. :dance3:
Totally agree.

And I'm also looking forward to seeing two new Junior pairs that are scheduled to be there.

The new junior ice dance teams were looking stronger at Minto than anyone could have reasonably expected given the enormous split and shuffle that went on after nationals.

The new junior pairs have been quiet. But I'm very curious.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
On the Grand Prix watch, Muramoto/Reed’s split now puts Carolane and Shane in default fourth position at NHK Trophy. They’d need to make a very sharp leap in scores in the early season to get past Zahorski/Guerrero or Hawayek/Baker and onto the podium, though (or else, cross their fingers and hope for somebody to trip and fall).

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Speaking of Julianne and Charlie, has anyone heard anythig about possible partners and tryouts?