2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The link to my fancam of Nic Nadeau's SP is on his fan fest, in case anyone was interested: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?56592-Nicolas-Nadeau&p=2153273&viewfull=1#post2153273 It's the same program as last season.

I suppose if a fan has "dirt" on Joseph (i.e. "embarrassing" footage of a not-so-great free skate), he's willing to spill the beans. ;)

He can't stop Patinage Québec from archiving the livestreams, of course, but he'd much prefer it if the fs fans who weren't in Pierrefonds don't scrutinize a LP that he's ashamed of in glorious 1080p and with a different camera angle. Poor kid, he really was upset with himself, but he swore to me that he'll learn from his mistakes and that he'll do better on the JGP circuit. :yes:

As long as he doesn't beat himself up too much. It's no big deal : he popped a 3a, and a 4t... that is quite common... popping the 3lz was a bit more unexpected. I still haven't seen the video : just the protocols. One thing he may learn is not to take the bus from Toronto to Montreal the day before the event.

I am hoping that he finds confidence in his training and just let his talent shine. I adore Joseph. He is beautiful to watch. He maybe is underestimating the toll it takes to change coaching environment, and how nervous one can get performing in front of the old environment... For instance, I remember switching piano teachers, and the next big event I played at, the former teacher was there.... I was so nervous... i didn't play very well ;) I had put too much pressure on myself, trying to prove that I was right switching teachers...etc, that i was improving etc This is a dangerous mind field and I hope TCC has a sports psychologist working with him. It's much easier IMHO to leave a coach when things are not going well, than it is, like in Jo's case, when things are going very well.

Haleth

On the Ice
As long as he doesn't beat himself up too much. It's no big deal : he popped a 3a, and a 4t... that is quite common... popping the 3lz was a bit more unexpected. I still haven't seen the video : just the protocols. One thing he may learn is not to take the bus from Toronto to Montreal the day before the event.

I am hoping that he finds confidence in his training and just let his talent shine. I adore Joseph. He is beautiful to watch. He maybe is underestimating the toll it takes to change coaching environment, and how nervous one can get performing in front of the old environment... For instance, I remember switching piano teachers, and the next big event I played at, the former teacher was there.... I was so nervous... i didn't play very well ;) I had put too much pressure on myself, trying to prove that I was right switching teachers...etc, that i was improving etc This is a dangerous mind field and I hope TCC has a sports psychologist working with him. It's much easier IMHO to leave a coach when things are not going well, than it is, like in Jo's case, when things are going very well.

I am pretty sure Brian and his team are very much for using a sports psychologist: https://www.ifsmagazine.com/in-the-zone-with-brian-orser/

He and his team will get to know Joseph better over time and assist him in learning what works best for him. TCC skaters are treated as individuals.

I wish him continued success and am very happy he is getting to train in another positive place in Canada. Since he's fairly close to home, hopefully he will get to visit his family, friends, and pups fairly often.

Tanager

On the Ice
4everchan, was it you who mentioned looking forward to Brasseur/Bardei?
I really enjoyed their skate today. Dynamic, fast, interesting, and they compliment each other very well. Even with mistakes, they were captivating. It will be a treat to follow their progress over this season and the seasons to come!

I wish him continued success and am very happy he is getting to train in another positive place in Canada. Since he's fairly close to home, hopefully he will get to visit his family, friends, and pups fairly often.

The Via Train has many trips per day between Toronto and Montreal, which should make things easier for Joseph. :)
Much good training to him at TCC! Thanks for sharing info and videos, Siberia82!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
He maybe is underestimating the toll it takes to change coaching environment, and how nervous one can get performing in front of the old environment... For instance, I remember switching piano teachers, and the next big event I played at, the former teacher was there.... I was so nervous... i didn't play very well ;) I had put too much pressure on myself, trying to prove that I was right switching teachers...etc, that i was improving etc

I suspected that Joseph was still adjusting to his new coaching situation, and I'm glad that you agree. :agree: He just turned 17 last week (although he skates beyond his years, doesn't he? :bow:), so he's very young and isn't aware that it will take time for him to find his groove again. While I don't know the specifics of his life in Toronto, I assume that this is the first time he's living in a different city away from his family (based on my very limited observations of Jo with his mother and brother, he seems to be very close to them), and I'm sure that must affect him to a certain extent even though he may not realize it.

Thanks for sharing info and videos, Siberia82!

You're very welcome. :)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In ice dance, the race for bronze kicked off at Championnats. Laurence and Nikolaj placed 0.87 ahead of Carolane and Shane in the RD. I liked both programs a lot -- the former is very traditional, the latter more modern in music choice and aesthetic.

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
1st for Veronik Mallet in Quebec!
Wow, she is back, waht a lovely skater she is!!
2nd for Pineault, 3rd for emy Decelles(very good jumps today)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
1st for Veronik Mallet in Quebec!
Wow, she is back, waht a lovely skater she is!!
2nd for Pineault, 3rd for emy Decelles(very good jumps today)

Yes, a good amount of depth for the Quebec ladies! Especially great for Veronik, who is coming back from injury and having sat out for two seasons. Though, I'm hoping Alaine can put out a good free tomorrow.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emy Decelles was the only one to complete a clean program with a 3/3: 3t+3t, 3f, 2a. Veronik was clean, but 3lo, 3t+2t, 2a just isn't competitive at the senior level.

TGee

Record Breaker
Emy Decelles was the only one to complete a clean program with a 3/3: 3t+3t, 3f, 2a. Veronik was clean, but 3lo, 3t+2t, 2a just isn't competitive at the senior level.
It's good to see Emy back after she was out for a good part of last season. Looking forward to seeing her get some of those levels up to maximize the scoring potential of that program.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I remember looking this up some time ago, but I think last year they charged $5 per day. I assume you pay at the door, as I don't recall seeing links to ticket sales to last year or this year's event webpages. I don't know about credit and debit cards so I'd bring cash just in case, more than $5 in case my memory is wrong or prices have gone up this year.

I hope to be there several days, starting from Thursday evening. At a minimum I want to watch the junior and senior men and the senior ladies, but I hope to make some other events. I realize that juniors competing at JGP Slovakia or Austria may withdraw. So I won't be surprised if, for example, Stephen and Aurora do not appear.

I probably can't attend this year but I was there last year and it was exactly as you described. $5 entry fee when you walk into the lobby, I don't remember them accepting any sort of card, and everything was very straightforward.

Aurora was listed last year and did not attend to prepare for her first JGP. She has moved to Edmonton now to train with Ravi Walia so she will probably be a no show again this year.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Please forgive me for all the screaming I did during my recording of Nadeau's LP, but I truly couldn't help myself because Depeche Mode is one of my all-time favourite bands, and I think it's totally EPIC that he's skating to their music for a competitive program!!! :dance3: :yahoo:https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rvbzg Fans "Just Can't Get Enough" of him! :biggrin:

Btw, has anyone else performed to Depeche Mode for competition? I'm just wondering if he's the first.

This is my fancam of the Senior Men medal ceremony: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rvd1q

Nic told me afterwards that Shae-Lynn Bourne is the choreographer. He admitted that the program was fairly demanding, which is why he ran out of steam towards the end, but he knows that it will get stronger as the season progresses.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OMG.. i love depeche mode... and they put in somebody... one of my fave songs...

yup... i can see here he was dead.. that explain for the very little success on the X jumps.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Yay to Veronik!!!! Hoping for good things for the Canadian ladies this season, it gets kinda embarrassing. And has Gabby revealed her music yet? When is her first competition?

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Yay to Veronik!!!! Hoping for good things for the Canadian ladies this season, it gets kinda embarrassing. And has Gabby revealed her music yet? When is her first competition?

I'm not too sure what you mean by embarrassing, glad you are hoping for them to do their best :)

It has been speculated that Gabby is keeping her SP. She is scheduled to skate at GTSA Summer Skate (North York in Toronto) next week.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4everchan, was it you who mentioned looking forward to Brasseur/Bardei?
I really enjoyed their skate today. Dynamic, fast, interesting, and they compliment each other very well. Even with mistakes, they were captivating. It will be a treat to follow their progress over this season and the seasons to come!

The Via Train has many trips per day between Toronto and Montreal, which should make things easier for Joseph. :)
Much good training to him at TCC! Thanks for sharing info and videos, Siberia82!

it was me and i just saw their long and WOW!!!! they are gorgeous... i predict right here and right now that they will be on the podium at Nationals.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what is embarrassing? sorry I don't understand. I feel so proud about the last two years of Canadian ladies... it took a long time, 45 years to get a WC.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I'm not too sure what you mean by embarrassing, glad you are hoping for them to do their best :)

It has been speculated that Gabby is keeping her SP. She is scheduled to skate at GTSA Summer Skate (North York in Toronto) next week.

Agreed! Winning 50% of the World Ladies podiums the past 2 years has been by no means embarrassing. :scratch2: Beyond having the reigning World champion, and the 2017 Bronze medalist on our Team, with Alaine, Larkyn, Alicia, Veronik, Auroa, Kim, the Ducelles, Michelle and others all fighting to make podium and the National Team, it will be exciting to see things unfold!