2018-19 Canadian figure skating | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Canadian figure skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Agreed! Winning 50% of the World Ladies podiums the past 2 years has been by no means embarrassing. :scratch2: Beyond having the reigning World champion, and the 2017 Bronze medalist on our Team, with Alaine, Larkyn, Alicia, Veronik, Auroa, Kim, the Ducelles, Michelle and others all fighting to make podium and the National Team, it will be exciting to see things unfold!

i read somewhere : there is a depth in quebec ladies... I almost fainted... could that be possible... well Alicia, Veronik, the Decelles twins, Kim D-L, Sarah-Maude in juniors, wow...

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
OMG.. i love depeche mode... and they put in somebody... one of my fave songs...

"Somebody" is my favourite DM song, so my fangirl heart was swooning when I heard it! :luv17:

For those of you who aren't familiar with Depeche Mode's music, here are the songs in Nic's LP:

- "Enjoy the Silence" (although this version is sung by Martin Gore, the songwriter and backing vocalist; the one most people are familiar with was sung by Dave Gahan, the lead singer)
- "It's No Good" which later contains lyrics from "Master and Servant"
- "I Feel You"
- "Somebody"
- "Personal Jesus"
- "Just Can't Get Enough"

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
^ An embarrassment of riches, I would say ;)

Yes, Canada does have an embarrassment of riches on the whole. But when it comes to depth in the ladies event.... well, wouldn’t it be cool to see some consistency and difficulty in the second tier group (Larkyn, Emily, Veronik, Madelyn, Aurora) and not know for sure who’ll end up on the Canadian national team?? We see Gabby and Kaetlyn with their high scores and then the others get mid-50s for the sp.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Okay friends since I have to say something thoughtful to join the four-figure club as a rite of passage (then I am off to lunch), I will write it here quick.

It has been my pleasure to share my love of figure skating here on this forum, coming out of the darkness of lurking, and especially my love of Canadian figure skaters most notably V/M, W/P, and KO. I love other figure skaters too but I think these three are definitely among my top. It has been a heck of a rollercoaster ride with the great results at the Olympics and Worlds, and then the marathon of an off-season. And it has been great over the last few weeks to watch the summer competitions with you, getting a peak at the new talent that is so abundant in our great country. Cheers to the 2018-2019 figure skating season :)!

BN

StephenGfan

Final Flight
It has been my pleasure to share my love of figure skating here on this forum, coming out of the darkness of lurking, and especially my love of Canadian figure skaters most notably V/M, W/P, and KO. I love other figure skaters too but I think these three are definitely among my top. It has been a heck of a rollercoaster ride with the great results at the Olympics and Worlds, and then the marathon of an off-season. And it has been great over the last few weeks to watch the summer competitions with you, getting a peak at the new talent that is so abundant in our great country. Cheers to the 2018-2019 figure skating season :)!

BN[/QUOTE]

<3

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Somebody" is my favourite DM song, so my fangirl heart was swooning when I heard it! :luv17:

For those of you aren't familiar with Depeche Mode's music, here are the songs in Nic's LP:

- "Enjoy the Silence" (although this version is sung by Martin Gore, the songwriter and backing vocalist; the one most people are familiar with was sung by Dave Gahan, the lead singer)
- "It's No Good" which later contains lyrics from "Master and Servant"
- "I Feel You"
- "Somebody"
- "Personal Jesus"
- "Just Can't Get Enough"

So cool! I went to see DM in concert a couple of months ago and hoped we would eventually see a program to their songs. It's kind of hard to hear the music cuts so thanks for listing. I like the step sequence to Personal Jesus.

Proves that Shae Lynn has excellent taste in music.

I'm going to Skate Canada and I hope the TBD spot goes to Nic so I can see this in person!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Okay friends since I have to say something thoughtful to join the four-figure club as a rite of passage (then I am off to lunch), I will write it here quick.

BN

Are you sure you are not related to NanaPat, Bill, or perhaps she lent you her cape...she is Superwoman, IMO, and nails it all the time. ;)

Here's to all these young athletes willing to put themselves out there in summer skate, while most of their friends are heading to the beach!

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Any news on what Piper and Paul are doing? Did anyone see the show at Scarboro FSC?

Ziotic

Medalist
Veronique looks great for not having competed in 2 years.

She only popped one jump in her long, although she’s missing a flip/lutz.

If she can get those under control I would love to see her get that third spot for worlds this year.

She has a 3-3 too!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
She has a 3-3 too!

I remember KOs debut in Helsinki at Finlandia 2016 after returning from injury, besting the field while being not quite ready but good enough to win over 2 former World Champions and the current World bronze medalists at that time. I feel the same about Veronik today. Some jumps were stellar Veronik, and there is no denying her musicality and performance ability. How many of us have dreamt of this moment.

To think there was even a naysayer on GS this week, who announced her career was over. Think again my friend, think again. :scratch3:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I arrived late to the Rhythm Dance yesterday, so I missed Fournier Beaudry & Soerensen first place performance :eek:hwell: , but I at least managed to film Soucisse & Firus: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rwcol

I couldn't attend today's events, so unfortunately, that's my final recording from le Championnats québecois d'été.

So cool! I went to see DM in concert a couple of months ago and hoped we would eventually see a program to their songs.

I've been to two DM concerts in the past, and I'm sure you'll agree that the band is exhilarating live! :rock: I too was hoping to hear their music at a fs competition one day, and the closest I ever got was Jeff Buttle's "Personal Jesus" exhibition at the 2008 Canadian Stars on Ice. Shae-Lynn has answered our prayers! :pray:

It's kind of hard to hear the music cuts so thanks for listing. I like the step sequence to Personal Jesus.

The sound system at the Sportplexe Pierrefonds is terrible (I can barely understand what the announcer says), and my camera further distorts the audio (not to mention my horrid screeching overwhelms everything else :laugh: ), so I'm glad to be of help. The crowd went especially nuts during that particular step sequence. :hap85:

Proves that Shae Lynn has excellent taste in music.

:2thumbs: Nic was born several months after the Ultra album was released, so I knew that it had to be his choreographer who chose the music.

I'm going to Skate Canada and I hope the TBD spot goes to Nic so I can see this in person!

Nic is even more magnetic (and handsome, if you care about that :cool: ) in the flesh, so I sincerely hope you get to experience his DM free skate at SCI. The Pierrefonds audience went bananas over a flawed performance, so it will be spectacular when skated (at least almost) cleanly.

----

Just an observation about Phan and Nadeau: they both had LPs with a few errors, but whereas the former felt embarrassed and begged me not to share my fancam with anyone, the latter---while certainly not happy with the second-half---had no problem with me posting his performance online. I've talked to them on three separate occasions, and Jo definitely seems to be more sensitive between the two of them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
nic is very outgoing... jo is more reserved... and of course much younger.

i can understand why he was upset: his LP is OLD! and he scored high for it before ... Nic knows where he is at, and he is fine with things being in progress... as is...

i guess Jo may have this sort of perfectionism some artists have... "a painter won't let you watch his painting until it's done" sort of deal...

i have had both phases in my own art... sometimes i am just thrilled to show where I am... even if it's not ready... sometimes I run around to make sure there was no recording done ;)

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've noticed that a few of our guys have grown taller since last year:

- Joseph grew 3 cm (I did observe that he appeared taller on the ice and when I talked to him) and is now 5'10" (178 cm): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00015182.htm

- Nam used to be an even 5'10", but he's now listed as 180 cm, which is almost 5'11": http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012641.htm

- Conrad has gained 1 cm, so now he's officially part of the 6-feet club (183 cm) along with Nic and Roman: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00055043.htm

Tanager

On the Ice
Does anybody know offhand how many senior international assignments are still up for grabs for the fall? (I can't remember and my own admittedly lazy searching has yet to yield an answer ;) )

it was me and i just saw their long and WOW!!!! they are gorgeous... i predict right here and right now that they will be on the podium at Nationals.

I hope you're right! There's sooo much to like about them already at this early stage.

BN

I'm chiming in late, but wanted to add my appreciation for a lovely post, BN. Cheers. :)