2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
You are forgetting Ignatov. I don’t think they need to rush either in seniors.

Well, with all the love in the world to Mozalev, consistency is his strongest suit. He skated 8 major competitions in a row, 2jGp events, jgpf, yoly, team yoly, senior nationals, junior nationals and junior worlds, medaling in each and every event except for senior nationals. Given that it’s the only event in which he skated senior program, well...

Also, save for Chen, he might have been the man who landed the most attempted jump passes succesfuly this season.

How much more consistent do you want Mozalev to be?

to be fair Artur is consistent too this season. we can tell about next one, nobody can since we don't have a glass ball and, as you said already, no men is consistent all the time, we can hope and the chances look good (anyway what did i tell you yesterday? Mozalev had a good chance to medal...well i wasn't expecting him to get gold :laugh:)

i see Starla is back with her posts :laugh: none can deny she is entertaining :popcorn: keep it going girl :laugh2:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am still living that ‘1’ rank coming up. :yahoo:

All my predictions turned out dreadfully wrong, so I am the last one to claim the ownership of the crystal ball. Like I sat through the warmup group coming up with, “he had an exceptional season as is”. Then when YK popped that 3A, “it’s understandable that the pressure is just insane now”, then, after the skate, “but even with three falls YK was ahead, remember?”

We are yet to see how Aliev and Danielian do in Montreal. That’s said Russian senior field is deep enough for there not being any need to dismantle their junior team. Team Tutberidze will probably be eager to put Kunitsa front and centre next year, and we won’t know what happens to Samsonov for a while yet. Or would Kutovoy get 3A?

Of course the teens going to grow... that’s what they do.

But, shouldn’t we party tonight?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I am still living that ‘1’ rank coming up. :yahoo:

All my predictions turned out dreadfully wrong, so I am the last one to claim the ownership of the crystal ball. Like I sat through the warmup group coming up with, “he had an exceptional season as is”. Then when YK popped that 3A, “it’s understandable that the pressure is just insane now”, then, after the skate, “but even with three falls YK was ahead, remember?”

We are yet to see how Aliev and Danielian do in Montreal. That’s said Russian senior field is deep enough for there not being any need to dismantle their junior team. Team Tutberidze will probably be eager to put Kunitsa front and centre next year, and we won’t know what happens to Samsonov for a while yet. Or would Kutovoy get 3A?

Of course the teens going to grow... that’s what they do.

But, shouldn’t we party tonight?

There are still girls and ice dance, no party for me before the whole thing will be over :)

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
Yeah let's party :hap85: just congrats and congrats. I'd like Gumennik to have the silver, but that was one competition you don't regret giving up sleep for :yay:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yeah let's party :hap85: just congrats and congrats. I'd like Gumennik to have the silver, but that was one competition you don't regret giving up sleep for :yay:

:cool2: party! :hap57:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I feel like Mozalev is really the one that deserved it, because he had a great season going for him, and he might be the most consistent of the Russian guys, so congrats to him. It's good to see some faces pushing the seniors guys to do better. Not everything is doom and gloom for the men.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
US skaters Torgashev, Malinin and Naumov - giving interview in russian :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llihrI55KW8

Just wondering, what do native Russian speakers think of the boys' grasp of the language? I can't understand Russian but it seems like Maxim often forgot words in Russian and substituted them with English :laugh: And Ilia sounds quite hesitant (although he could just be shy).

As a child of immigrants it gives me funny flashbacks to when I was younger, speaking awkwardly to my grandparents in our ancestral language...

It would be great if somebody could give a rough translation of what they are saying! :)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
You wish is my command. Brb with translation...

Edit... it is a long interview, so part 1, first two questions...

My Russian is way out of date, so I sometimes feel it is strangely accented even when I listen to the commentary on Russian TV by modern Russian speakers. And diction had moved on, heh.

To my ear, Malinin sounds the most impacted accent-wise and have the most difficulty with the language, Naumov—the least & he is at ease speaking. Torgashev is in between, some of his vowels sound anglicized to me, rather than the stronger Russian ones. All three young men are easy to understand, so if they were mains in a spy movie caught by that one guard in Russia in a thrilling scene, they would have stood a chance to wing it, unlike the movie stars, lol.

The first question asked is: did it surprise you that the full team has Russian roots?

Naumov and Malinin talk about it being funny, Malinin says it was really a coincidence, what if they didn’t send him, it would not have happened. Torgashev says that they speak Russian or mix both languages to one another.

Feelings after the Championship/Results

Naumov speaks about being pleasantly surprised with the result, he did not go with the expectations to achieve this high of a placement, and still can’t believe it. This championship was a wonderful experience for him.

Q to Naumov: how did you focus before the free (where he achieved the 4th placement)?

N: There is additional stress and emotional problems when one goes into the free after a good short. This was not the case for him here, as he was the tenth after short. He skated for himself. Because he wasn’t focusing on the placement, he wasn’t worried about selling the whole program, he was just doing it the best he could, element by element, without rushing it, calmly.

Malinin: He liked his performance. He thinks he could have done better, but he was just happy to come, because he should not have been selected, but he was invited.

Q to Malinin: Why?

Malinin: Because to be selected, he should have won the US Nationals, and he didn’t compete there this year.

He really wanted to go though. He was meaning to jump a quad, but at the last moment changed the program. He did not feel confident, so he downgraded the jump, but performed axels and lutzes successfully.

Torgashev: This is his 3rd junior worlds, his first time was five years ago, also in Tallinn. He grew and learned a lot since that first time. Most significantly, how to prepare himself for the performance. How to put the best foot forward.

The next question is

Your Life in the States

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You wish is my command. Brb with translation...

Thank you Lariko!

When you are done, I will cross reference to the US men’s thread, where I reposted the video because they are, after all, US men:biggrin: I’m so impressed that they can speak at length in their parents’ language; although I was told an adorable story about Andrew T. as a young junior at US Nats, and someone attending meeting his grandfather, whose grasp of English was not great, but pride in your grandson is a universal construct. :yes:

Chinese TV could have done the same “interview of emigrants’ sons” for 2/3 of the US senior men’s team, but I guess 2/3 is not as interesting as 3 out of 3:laugh:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
An opinion piece from Samarin about Russian gentlemen skating league

https://twitter.com/hannahlemon13/status/1242728775323975680?s=20

We are ramping up, conquering back the lost ground, do not stagnate. It’s hard to say why there is this long period without the big victories. There was time when we had a lot of strong boys, but no girls. Then, the situation had changed.

I don’t think anyone was surprised by Andrey Mozalev winning the JWC. I am friends with Dima Aliev, and was glad to see his win at the EuC. I was going to root for him and Artur Danielian in the worlds. It wouldn’t have been all that hard on the couch.

I believe that it’s not so hard to challenge Nathan Chen & Yuzuru Hanyu. Yes, they are a bit ahead of the pack, but I hope that it is only temporary.

Personally, I am already thinking about strengthening my content for the new season. I don’t want to go into the specifics, but we are talking about new quads and the number of quads, all aspects.

:slink:

This is a hard right from Mozalev, the only unsung Russian skater to ‘who could have possibly at all doubted he’d win the JWC’...

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
About Mozalev, yes. TBH this article is strange on so many levels :reye: Apart from that there's also talk about rooting for other guys in Worlds. Sounds like he lives in some parallel universe (maybe this interview was taken some time between WJC and cancellation of WC but still :scratch2:) AND the part about adding quads to his own routine :rolleye:

To make things even funnier, here's what they say in the original article

...In the 2019/20 season, Alexander Aliyev became the European champion (for the first time for Russia since 2012), ...

I'm dying :rofl:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
About Mozalev, yes. TBH this article is strange on so many levels :reye: Apart from that there's also talk about rooting for other guys in Worlds. Sounds like he lives in some parallel universe (maybe this interview was taken some time between WJC and cancellation of WC but still :scratch2:) AND the part about adding quads to his own routine :rolleye:

To make things even funnier, here's what they say in the original article

:drama: Russians are working on either unifying the naming of all the athletes to Alexander/a to streamline the process of the foreign commentators familiarizing themselves with the names, or on a composite male skater to challenge Chen.

Nope, that was something he was going to do, but could not, so he is aware of the WC being cancelled. But overall the tone is so out of touch upbeat—I mean, not to knock down anyone who is not downtrodden, etc, and I am all for him aiming high, but I am more worried that saying something like this shows the pressure they are under.

Anyway, I am still working, but I will try to post the next bit of the interview with the Team Russian Roots at JWC.

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I don't understand what's wrong with this interview? The only part I could see being controversial is the one about Chen/Hanyu (at least judging by the comments I read on Twitter acting like Samarin belittles their achievements and who does he think he is anyway...). I don't speak Russian but after trying a couple of translations it sounds like he thinks it's possible for the Russian Men to challenge Chen/Hanyu and honestly, if they didn't believe so there would be no point in trying. No offense, I genuinely don't understand. :scratch2:

Also, petition for next season's thread to be called "Russian gentlemen skating league". :laugh: