2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 115 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I personally am super excited to see what Mariah Bell puts out this season. I read she was working on a 3A, and Adam Rippon has been working with her which clearly has been good for her. I really hope she has a good season. I loved her programs last year and it was fun to see them at 4CC.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I personally am super excited to see what Mariah Bell puts out this season. I read she was working on a 3A, and Adam Rippon has been working with her which clearly has been good for her. I really hope she has a good season. I loved her programs last year and it was fun to see them at 4CC.

She recently competed at Nebelhorn and won.

Here's her FS https://youtu.be/vWkgYf3SXgI

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I can’t wait to see if Amber Glenn reaches her goal of hitting the 70 point mark in the sp and hitting the 200 point mark overall. She stated in an interview that that was her goal. Even though I’m not a fan of her programs this season, I really like Amber and am rooting for her.

I honestly have no idea how Bradie will do at skate America. I’ll have to wait for the practice sessions. When is the ladies short program?

macy

Record Breaker
I can’t wait to see if Amber Glenn reaches her goal of hitting the 70 point mark in the sp and hitting the 200 point mark overall. She stated in an interview that that was her goal. Even though I’m not a fan of her programs this season, I really like Amber and am rooting for her.

I honestly have no idea how Bradie will do at skate America. I’ll have to wait for the practice sessions. When is the ladies short program?

Edit: ladies short is Friday 7 pm vegas time. I believe I put practice time before.

Crossing my fingers Amber can *finally* put it together under pressure. I don't really care how she places, i just want her to skate clean across both programs.

I think Bradie can sneak in for a bronze, but not if everyone is clean. if that's the case, the podium will likely be a combo of Anna, Liza and Kaori. i am hoping for 2 solid outings for her as well.

i don't really know what to expect from Karen. she has the potential to skate well, but since this is her first full season back, i'm really not sure what we will see.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
I'd be delighted if Frank didn't give statements to the media that if bad things happened to Gracie under his watch, he wasn't responsible.

Frank is a coach not a babysitter, Gracie is a full adult and more than capable of making her own decisions whether bad or good.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'd be delighted if Frank didn't give statements to the media that if bad things happened to Gracie under his watch, he wasn't responsible.

I'd be delighted if you would stop twisting Frank's words. :dev2:

You are putting words into his mouth.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Friday at 11:10 Vegas time.

Crossing my fingers Amber can *finally* put it together under pressure. I don't really care how she places, i just want her to skate clean across both programs.

I think Bradie can sneak in for a bronze, but not if everyone is clean. if that's the case, the podium will likely be a combo of Anna, Liza and Kaori. i am hoping for 2 solid outings for her as well.

i don't really know what to expect from Karen. she has the potential to skate well, but since this is her first full season back, i'm really not sure what we will see.

The Skate America field is so packed it will be fun to watch. I hope for the best for Bradie, Karen and Amber. I am curious as to where they’ll all land. It will be interesting to see what happens if it’s a clean competition, but there are always a few who don’t quite make that.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I think you have to take with a grain of salt when someone says they are working on a triple axel or quad. Wait until you actually see it in competition. But a lot of us are wondering where and how Mariah and Karen will do. A lot of anticipation and hope and maybe a bit of trepidation too. Winning Nebelhorn might help though keeping things in perspective that wasn't exactly a huge surprise.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Skate America field is so packed it will be fun to watch. I hope for the best for Bradie, Karen and Amber. I am curious as to where they’ll all land. It will be interesting to see what happens if it’s a clean competition, but there are always a few who don’t quite make that.
It is packed and yet it has no world medallist from last year due to ET's injuries. Still a deep field. I think Bradie and Karen can do a lot of damage and even podium. Glad Amber got a chance too.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

That is a great goal - not sure how reasonable it is? Probably at Nationals with inflated judging yes. Bradie might even get in the 150s in the fs.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes, kind, understanding, empathetic coach Frank Carroll. Why wouldn't Gracie open up to him? I'm sure he's understanding of people who are going through mental health issues. Remember how he helped his former student, two-time world medalist Christopher Bowman?

When Bowman won the silver medal at the World Championships in 1989, Carroll, for one, was torn between feeling proud and guilty. "I remember people coming up to me and congratulating me, saying 'Oh, your boy is wonderful, we just love watching him, and he has so much charisma,'" says Carroll. "But inside I was just dying, I was in so much pain because I hadn't seen him for weeks before we left, and the program he was doing — I felt like it was not what this boy could do. I was really in despair because he was also doing drugs."

"Frustrated at not being able to help Bowman, Carroll decided to cut off all contact with the skater. "I felt that I needed to use a tough love approach, that if I didn't help him, didn't enable him, that it was a statement that you have to stop doing drugs if you want me in your life," says Carroll.

Despite the rebuffs, Bowman continued to email his coach, imploring him at one point just about six months ago, "Come on, Frank, give in."

And then the news of his death broke.

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1703048,00.html

I know what you're going to say. Yes, he released Michelle and her sister Karen Kwan's weight to NBC so they could be broadcasted all over the nation, and remind everyone how thin they were. Yes, he was cold to Bowman. But that was in the 1990s and 2000s. He's changed, and for the bett--

The venerable Frank Carroll, emerged through the curtains backstage at the U.S. national championships holding Gold’s black warm-up vest. He was on a mission. He was looking for a trash can.

Moments later, he found one, and stuffed the vest into it.

“That’s what I was told to do,” Carroll said curtly. “I asked her what she wanted me to do with it and she said, ‘Throw it away,’ so that’s what I did.”

A few minutes after Carroll threw her vest away, [Gracie] went back and quietly fished it out.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...old-meltdown-caps-lackluster-season/96925948/

Frank is an icon. I am not sure one would say he has changed with the times. He has done this for a long time. He has earned his due and respect. It was interesting trying to bite his tongue often with the media with Bowman. Evan may really be his best pupil. Evan just sort of did what Frank told him. Michelle while disciplined still had a strong independent mind hence her taking her senior test before Frank wanted and her leaving. I am not sure Gracie or anyone really related to him as a "friend" or even a grandfather figure. he was a coach and came off always as a coach. he had personality - watching him coach Bowman and even the infamous Gracie vest incident - come on he could have just taken the vest and let Gracie vent. he did not need to make a further scene. It is hard sometimes to watch someone you invested in so much self destruct - he showed his feelings and I like that in some ways. He still cared for students even if they left him. The joy he had for Kwan and Bowman was still there. I think he is a great coach for the right student. Here is hoping that Gracie finds the right coach for her and perhaps really figures out is competitive skating for her. She is an olympic medallist (team) and so many international medals. She just happens to be skating in an era of great talent or she probably would have world medals like Sasha Cohen. Right now though there is lots of potential for the American ladies!

Shani

On the Ice
Frank is not a skater on this thread. Let Gracie skate and find out where the chips fall. Through to Sectionals at least. Good Skating Gracie.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Frank is not a skater on this thread. Let Gracie skate and find out where the chips fall. Through to Sectionals at least. Good Skating Gracie.

:agree: And he's a retired coach at that. I'm sick of this rehashing of things as assumptions.

This is a thread to discuss the Ladies actively skating for the USFS in the GP and beyond, let's discuss that.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It is packed and yet it has no world medallist from last year due to ET's injuries. Still a deep field. I think Bradie and Karen can do a lot of damage and even podium. Glad Amber got a chance too.

I think using world ranking would be a better way to distribute spots than results at Worlds. Elizabet has only had a handful of good events over the years.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I think you have to take with a grain of salt when someone says they are working on a triple axel or quad. Wait until you actually see it in competition. But a lot of us are wondering where and how Mariah and Karen will do. A lot of anticipation and hope and maybe a bit of trepidation too. Winning Nebelhorn might help though keeping things in perspective that wasn't exactly a huge surprise.

I think everyone on top has the goals of trying to get a 3A but I see it as a good way to train height and maybe get better consistency on other jumps. Maybe a confidence boost with other passes. Miria did surprise when she got her 3A later in her career so it is possible.

Nebelhorn was a good step and last season was a step forward. The level of competition among the US ladies has to step up for those worlds spots. I hope that means we’ll see them all come out swinging. I really hope for Mariah to have a good season.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think everyone on top has the goals of trying to get a 3A but I see it as a good way to train height and maybe get better consistency on other jumps. Maybe a confidence boost with other passes. Miria did surprise when she got her 3A later in her career so it is possible.

It did help Mirai, but now I'm wondering if the training Gracie has been doing in the harness threw off the timing of her 2A. It was her single worst jump at Regionals, and has been her least favorite jump in the past.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
It did help Mirai, but now I'm wondering if the training Gracie has been doing in the harness threw off the timing of her 2A. It was her single worst jump at Regionals, and has been her least favorite jump in the past.

All the harness training was recent so maybe. The idea that it could help definitely might not work for everyone. I am just hoping it does work for Mariah.